BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
@BackToWrangler

On Facebook there is a group that you can join, where Chinese company reps are giving those and other such Chinese offerings a way for free.. The FB group is called "Jeep Modified Club". Anyone can join the group..

Anyway, a rep there begged me to get one of the covers you have pictured and to do an amazon review for him in regard to the cover...

I got it and installed the red cover, on a spare fob I had. Yes, kinda cool but the stock fob with that cover weighed a friggin ton. YES, it did keep the key from popping out on it's own.

Anyway, I kept the cover for a day and then sold it. Got free to try and in the end got $ for it..

DO consider joining the Jeep Modified Club and get that stuff for free versus paying for it...
Thanks for the info!
Sponsored

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
My damned ever to be cursed to the lower depths of hell RF chip must be glued in. I am going to have to sacrifice the entire fob to get that thing out. It will not budge even though I've cut away half the stupid slot around it. I doubt my chip has even survived.

Nice job, Jeep. :angry:

UPDATE: I finally got it out (an hour later) but had to cut away most of the side walls of the RF chip slot (whilst hacking up the side of the chip - good thing it is encased) and then use a pliers to wriggle and wrench it free. Wow. Everything else took like < 5 mins to replace to the 3dom fob... looks good on that end, anyway. Nice not to have a brick in the pocket. I tested the chip by starting the Jeep without the rest of the fob and thankfully it was robust enough to withstand the horrors of extraction.

Jeep Wrangler JL Terrific Aftermarket Fob I came across Keyfob butcher
Jeep Wrangler JL Terrific Aftermarket Fob I came across Fob compare

Crawldad... no, not too silly (though I understand your exasperated point about the seeming obsessions with fobs)... I for one am thrilled the thread resurrected with the more recent info and I benefited from that info. I love the forums that folks keep offering info like this. Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: apb

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
My damned ever to be cursed to the lower depths of hell RF chip must be glued in. I am going to have to sacrifice the entire fob to get that thing out. It will not budge even though I've cut away half the stupid slot around it. I doubt my chip has even survived.

Nice job, Jeep. :angry:
It felt like mine was glued in too, it was just wedged in tighter than tight. It definitely took a lot longer than a few minutes to remove. I used my Dremel to grind away each end of one side of the slot until i could get a jewelers screwdriver in there to pry the chip out. The chip went flying but was still functional. I will say the new fob is worth it though, so lightweight.

Sponsored

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
I need one that’s just the key, without any buttons or plastic. 😩 Call me an old soul, but I miss the days with metal keys and turning the key in ignition to start.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Well, so far I have removed the RFID chip from 5 stock fobs.... only one RFID, made me work at it's removal so to speak.

Yes, all RFID chips were wedged in the stock RFID slot tightly (none were glued in) but not one was a big deal to remove...... AND, no obvious damage to any of the stock fobs, thanks to my removing the RFID chip.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Well, so far I have removed the RFID chip from 5 stock fobs.... only one RFID, made me work at it's removal so to speak.

Yes, all RFID chips were wedged in the stock RFID slot tightly (none were glued in) but not one was a big deal to remove...... AND, no obvious damage to any of the stock fobs, thanks to my removing the RFID chip.
Lucky you then! :LOL: Mine was horrible - far worse than anything any of the rest of you indicated. Just unlucky, I guess. It was NOT going to move. I tried utility knife, razor blade, jewelers screw driver (all suggested on here some time back) - I almost resorted to the hole through method or a simple crushing of the fob plastic with a pliers! Broke three knife blade tips carving it out. It was nuts. And then I shot that little detente pin in the key across the room and have yet to find that little rascal. Obviously should have stayed in bed... what a putz.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Lucky you then! :LOL: Mine was horrible - far worse than anything any of the rest of you indicated. Just unlucky, I guess. It was NOT going to move. I tried utility knife, razor blade, jewelers screw driver (all suggested on here some time back) - I almost resorted to the hole through method or a simple crushing of the fob plastic with a pliers! Broke three knife blade tips carving it out. It was nuts. And then I shot that little detente pin in the key across the room and have yet to find that little rascal. Obviously should have stayed in bed... what a putz.
@GrumpyBadger

If there is a next time have your Wife do it for you..

Sponsored

JackA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; Nacho
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 50/50. Both factory FOBs came with our 2021 Rubicon; one RFID came out pretty quick and one was difficult.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I would be interested in hearing from others that have/are using a DI Labs fob. What are you thoughts....
I have a 4 button Model M in Digital Camo with a traditional key holder.

The fob is tiny compared to stock. I almost forget that I have it in my pocket.

I must be lucky, since my install was relatively easy. I had no issues removing the RFID chip.

This thing is fantastic. It's as simple as that.

I'm waiting for custom fobs to be offered and then I'll likely order a second one.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe one day my heavy duty black tape will come loose and I can get a new FOB but as it is with this stock one it’s not been a bother but then I don’t have it attached to a lanyard or have loads of keys attached to it like a prison guard, I do like the design of the model S

E540DA34-60FB-4976-B692-7086AB41AAF4.jpeg
Sponsored