Terrific Aftermarket Fob I came across

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
These look great... I really want to get rid of the brick and was hoping someone could minimize those beasts. Definitely gonna order one (maybe once the personalized versions come available).

Anyone (@crdouglass3 ?) have any feedback on the tactile feel of the different textures? I prefer the look of the smooth, but if it is slick then one of the others may be more appealing.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
These look great... I really want to get rid of the brick and was hoping someone could minimize those beasts. Definitely gonna order one (maybe once the personalized versions come available).

Anyone (@crdouglass3 ?) have any feedback on the tactile feel of the different textures? I prefer the look of the smooth, but if it is slick then one of the others may be more appealing.
@GrumpyBadger

I have two Mini's. One has "Hex" texture and the other is "Smooth". I do not find the smooth to be slick or slippery.. To be honest,as far as feel, my favorite is the smooth feel...

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Anyone (@@crdouglass3 ?) have any feedback on the tactile feel of the different textures? I prefer the look of the smooth, but if it is slick then one of the others may be more appealing.
I have a smooth 4 button model M. I love the look and feel. The fob doesn't feel slippery or slick at all. The buttons are easy to find and activate. I'd buy another for my 2nd fob, but I'm going to wait to see what's developed in terms of colors, button outlines and custom text.

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Ok Karens. The way I did it is less risky to the chip than cutting the enclosure walls with a utility knife. Go slow and gently and it will all work out.

warranty..lol... tech looked inside your fob case and it looks like someone went at it with a utility knife...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok Karens. The way I did it is less risky to the chip than cutting the enclosure walls with a utility knife. Go slow and gently and it will all work out.

warranty..lol... tech looked inside your fob case and it looks like someone went at it with a utility knife...
@hingedthinker

Absolutely, sickening your "Ok Karens" comment.... really sickening...

Anyway, no reason to poke or drill a hole in the front of a $200+ stock fob to get the RFID chip out.
Takes but a few minutes to just open the fob and pry the chip out... to do it that way.

Why not just drill/poke a hole / deface the stock fob in an obvious place, as you suggest:

I had moved my stock fob guts into an AJT Designs aftermarket fob over a year ago.

After months of using the AJT fob, the remote button on the fob died.

I took the RFID chip & circuit board out of the AJT and placed it back into the stock fob....

Brought the defective button, stock fob to the dealer and received a warranty replacement.

Yes, the Service Dept. guy did look over the fob pretty carefully for water damage, damage in general. For sure he would have seen a hole drilled into the front of it!

He did NOT examine so closely as to see the tiny damage inside of the stock case, where I had removed the RFID chip before putting it back in place. . Had I drilled / poked a very visible, hole in the stock fob as you suggest, I would not have gotten a replacement fob under warranty..

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Ok Karens. The way I did it is less risky to the chip than cutting the enclosure walls with a utility knife.
Karens, really? Was that necessary?

If it worked for you, all the power to ya.

I just can't wait for someone else to use this method and pop a hole in their chip.

Last edited:

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
I went with this fob cover option. Doesn't save any bulk for sure...just adds to it...but it keeps the key from opening in my pocket...I like the look...it's another red accent for my interior...and my JL has the perfect cubby hole to stow it. 🙃

Jeep Wrangler JL Terrific Aftermarket Fob I came across 20210418_103149

Jeep Wrangler JL Terrific Aftermarket Fob I came across 20210418_103203

Jeep Wrangler JL Terrific Aftermarket Fob I came across 20210418_162745

Jeep Wrangler JL Terrific Aftermarket Fob I came across 20210312_134031

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went with this fob cover option. Doesn't save any bulk for sure...just adds to it...but it keeps the key from opening in my pocket...I like the look...it's another red accent for my interior...and my JL has the perfect cubby hole to stow it. 🙃

20210418_103149.jpg

20210418_103203.jpg

20210418_162745.jpg

20210312_134031.jpg
@BackToWrangler

On Facebook there is a group that you can join, where Chinese company reps are giving those and other such Chinese offerings a way for free.. The FB group is called "Jeep Modified Club". Anyone can join the group..

Anyway, a rep there begged me to get one of the covers you have pictured and to do an amazon review for him in regard to the cover...

I got it and installed the red cover, on a spare fob I had. Yes, kinda cool but the stock fob with that cover weighed a friggin ton. YES, it did keep the key from popping out on it's own.

Anyway, I kept the cover for a day and then sold it. Got free to try and in the end got $ for it..

DO consider joining the Jeep Modified Club and get that stuff for free versus paying for it...

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
@hingedthinker

Absolutely, sickening your "Ok Karens" comment.... really sickening...

Anyway, no reason to poke or drill a hole in the front of a $200+ stock fob to get the RFID chip out.
Takes but a few minutes to just open the fob and pry the chip out... to do it that way.

Why not just drill/poke a hole / deface the stock fob in an obvious place, as you suggest:

I had moved my stock fob guts into an AJT Designs aftermarket fob over a year ago.

After months of using the AJT fob, the remote button on the fob died.

I took the RFID chip & circuit board out of the AJT and placed it back into the stock fob....

Brought the defective button, stock fob to the dealer and received a warranty replacement.

Yes, the Service Dept. guy did look over the fob pretty carefully for water damage, damage in general. For sure he would have seen a hole drilled into the front of it!

He did NOT examine so closely as to see the tiny damage inside of the stock case, where I had removed the RFID chip before putting it back in place. . Had I drilled / poked a very visible, hole in the stock fob as you suggest, I would not have gotten a replacement fob under warranty..

Some people call that stealing. It's no wonder vehicles cost so much these days. Warranty fraud.

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
NO!! Please don't do this. There's no need to pierce through the stock fob to get the transponder chip out. While the chip can take a small bit of abuse, if you accidentally poke through it you're pretty much screwed.

The easiest thing to do is use a new blade in a utility knife, and cut at least 2 small slits (from top to bottom) in one side of the plastic enclosure surrounding the chip. Then use a small thin bladed (jewelers) flathead screwdriver to pry the plastic away. This should make enough room to get the screwdriver tip, a pick, or even the knife blade next to the chip so you can gently pry it up and out. If need be add another slit if you need more room.
What about the risk of accidentally poking through the chip with the leverage from a utility knife? I think you guys are being ridiculous... hence the comment.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Could've said what you wanted to say without it, no?

Let's leave it at that.
was simply matching the tone and tenor friends... both of you could have not commented in the way in which you did in the first place. And left it at that...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some people call that stealing. It's no wonder vehicles cost so much these days. Warranty fraud.
Warranty covered the fob as the remote button was defective. That is what warranty is for.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was simply matching the tone and tenor friends... both of you could have not commented in the way in which you did in the first place. And left it at that...
@hingedthinker

I think both @jludave and I, are just being protective lets say, of fellow JL owner's.

Would be a real shame if somebody watched your video and damaged the RFID chip and then also, the part about not good, to have obvious damage on outside of stock fob should you need to get it replaced under warranty.

You way of removal is kind of cool actually, but not a way that I or most would recommend... Enough said by me on this...