Sponsored

Terrific Aftermarket Fob I came across

Sol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2020 JL Willys
I predict, that very soon, we will see posts here by guys that buy these fobs and then come here saying that they have Plasti-dipped the fob..

Guys that work outside in the elements... that hunt, fish or whatever will waterproof the fob with Plasti-dip..

Battery change times are not that frequent and when those times come, the Plasti-dip can be peeled off and the and the after battery change, easily reapplied.

@crdouglass3
Waterproofing crossed my mind as well. My thought was a bead of silicone caulk around the clamshell seam with a dot of caulk over the screw head would be all that’s needed seal the fob.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Waterproofing crossed my mind as well. My thought was a bead of silicone caulk around the clamshell seam with a dot of caulk over the screw head would be all that’s needed seal the fob.
@Sol

If you open the fob and then closely watch how the one side of the shell goes into a slight recess in the other side of the shell, it would probably offer a cleaner look so to speak to place a line of plasti dip orsilicone in the recess and then lower the fob shell half into the silicone/the recess. And yes, some silicone in the female so when the screw goes in it seals up...

I still think you/we will see many buy black smooth Mini's and then Plasti-Dip them..

Reactions: Sol

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The one thing is that I don’t seem to have the micro key holder... I hope I didn’t miss it in the packaging and accidentally throw it away.
Did you order one? They don’t come with the fob.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'm told that the Threedom fobs are close to 1/2" in thickness. Other dimensions would be useful here. (I know Threedom currently sells two different exterior shaped models of fob.)

Maybe this has been said but the AJT fob is about 5/8" in thickness, and about 2" tall and 1 1/2" wide.

Reactions: Sol

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Maybe this has been said but the AJT fob is about 5/8" in thickness, and about 2" tall and 1 1/2" wide.

The DI Labs/Threedom fobs are smaller than the AJT fob.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
AJT Fob owners:

You may have bought this Theedom fob completely happy with the AJT offering; and that's cool.

I mean who doesn't love new Wrangler toys?

But that said, what aspects, IYHO of the AJT fob fall short (e.g. difficulty in installation, AJT not idea for Sport S bear bones buttonless fobs) that the Threedom offerings have addressed, if any?

Thanks.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
@jludave PM Sent, Your confirmation email was resent.

@DWS44 I think you'll see something familiar in the photo. It's not yours but very close :)

I expect all the colored fobs will go out tomorrow. :rock:

2021-04-01 18.38.01.jpg

@DWS44 I think you'll see something familiar in the photo. It's not yours but very close :)

2021-04-01 18.38.01.jpg
I’m undecided if these look like stranded guppys or a cute remote for my wife.

slick

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford harley jeep
ordered white with red today. Great find.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
But that said, what aspects, IYHO of the AJT fob fall short (e.g. difficulty in installation, AJT not idea for Sport S bear bones buttonless fobs) that the Threedom offerings have addressed, if any?
Not an AJT owner, and it may be a nice fob, but based on the real world dimensions reported for the AJT vs. OEM, the AVJ didn't seem sufficiently smaller to make it worth the hassle and price for a marginal reduction in overall bulk. To me it seemed like the one real selling point for the AJT was the removal of the OEM switchblade key, which was a major pain for some, but that particular issue hasn't bothered me.

OTOH, the Threedom appears to be a significant reduction in all dimensions and weight, which is exactly what I've been hoping for.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I too am not an AJT owner. However, I've seen the various install videos and it does seem that the AJT fob is a bit difficult to put together. In particular, the issue seems to be with getting the battery to stay in place while closing the 2 halves together. Also, the size of the AJT fob isn't that much smaller than the OEM fob. In my opinion, it didn't seem worth the cost.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I too am not an AJT owner. However, I've seen the various install videos and it does seem that the AJT fob is a bit difficult to put together. In particular, the issue seems to be with getting the battery to stay in place while closing the 2 halves together. Also, the size of the AJT fob isn't that much smaller than the OEM fob. In my opinion, it didn't seem worth the cost.
Dave:

YMMV, and perhaps when I assembled my AJT I wasn't at the high end of the learning curve, but I can attest to this fob's install as, if by no means impossible, then, as you allude to, not trivial. I had to be patient with the battery and try several times before succeeding.

Curious though...the AJT and OEM fobs resist forces to squish them, and in so doing, along with recessed buttons of the electronics portion of the original fob they encase, resist (if by no means prevent) setting off buttons in tight pockets, etc.

I wonder how resistant the seemingly softer Threedom cases are to accidental button activation.

DC3

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT EcoDiesel, 22 Polestar
Occupation
Engineer
Dave:

YMMV, and perhaps when I assembled my AJT I wasn't at the high end of the learning curve, but I can attest to this fob's install as, if by no means impossible, then, as you allude to, not trivial. I had to be patient with the battery and try several times before succeeding.

Curious though...the AJT and OEM fobs resist forces to squish them, and in so doing, along with recessed buttons of the electronics portion of the original fob they encase, resist (if by no means prevent) setting off buttons in tight pockets, etc.

I wonder how resistant the seemingly softer Threedom cases are to accidental button activation.
I also have the AJT and found that it didn't resolve my primary complaint with the factory fob (size) so I embarked on the Threedom fob project. I also found the AJT design undesirable. Regarding the buttons, we adjusted the force required to depress the buttons, the first few versions were too easy to press. I think we found a happy medium. I was tempted to develop options for users to select how much pressure required to press the button but decided against introducing the complication. The next version (model S) will have the button pad (reuses factory) recessed so this will reduce accidental activation.

I am very happy with my fob but of course you could call me biased ;)

Covered in Dust

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Can’t go through 27 pages. Can someone please post a link. I told the salesman when I bought my JL that I almost changed my mind on getting the Jeep because of the size of the fob. Hate having it in my pocket.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR

Glad I saw this. Didn't know when mine would ship. It was in my mail so must have arrived Fri or Sat.

8 minutes start to finish. At least two of those minutes were getting the prox sensor out. Love the size difference!

Can’t go through 27 pages. Can someone please post a link. I told the salesman when I bought my JL that I almost changed my mind on getting the Jeep because of the size of the fob. Hate having it in my pocket.
Here you go.
https://mythreedom.com/
Sponsored