Sponsored

Terrific Aftermarket Fob I came across

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
With mine, I used a small screwdriver used for eyeglasses and it still couldn't get in. However, as I said, I was able to get the chip out without damaging the chip. But I did need to damage the original key fob cover.
I sssume when you say damage, the damage was on the inside of the fob... the damage was on the part that secures the chip...

Here is what has worked for me each time and has resulted in zero damage:

I know you did the deed already, just typing this out so it might help someone else.

Used a small very thin blade flat tip screwdriver with a wide blade.

You place the thin blade in the slight gap between the chip and stock case and then with say a small tack hammer gently, tap tap, on the screwdriver handle. The blade will then proceed downward and spread things enough so you can get in there and pry the chip up. You can't / you won't be able to, just push the flat tip down and get in in there.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Got my AJT FOB today, and holy crap that was a PITA. Took longer than I’m going to admit publicly. But at least I don’t have the key jabbing my leg all the time.

anyone know what it actually takes to damage that transponder to the point it doesn’t work? Do scratches on the edge of it do anything? Sorry, no pic of the “damage”, just the final product.

Jeep Wrangler JL Terrific Aftermarket Fob I came across FFD4B8FB-488B-4D38-90D0-FC6E6226ACC1

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@YippieKiYayMrFalcon

The RFID gets damaged if you cut into it ... or poke/pierce a hole in it. Scratches or say pressure type marks on the side of the RFID chip, does not damage the inners on the chip.

IF you want to check the RFID to see if it is damaged... not working.... take the battery out of the fob and then take the chip itself and press it against the start button. IF the vehicle starts the RFID is aok...

Getting the battery into the AJT Designs fob is a real issue for some.. there is a trick so to speak though, to getting it in.... and once you know the trick getting it in and the sides of the fob together is no longer a process, lets say.

The new DI Labs fob offering is very easy to get the battery into. That fob has a battery cradle that secures the battery so when you go to put the sides together, the battery is not sliding all over.
thanks. It’s just scratches on the outside, so I think I’m good.

I thought about the battery out testing after I got it together, and there was no way I was taking it back apart to test it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@YippieKiYayMrFalcon

It looks like you did not get the "soft buttons" that AJT Designs sells for the fob... You may want to get a set of those as they do make a difference for the better, feel wise..

Gibson Leatherworks makes a real nice leater holster for the AJT Designs fob, too... 8-)

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@YippieKiYayMrFalcon

It looks like you did not get the "soft buttons" that AJT Designs sells for the fob... You may want to get a set of those as they do make a difference for the better, feel wise..

Gibson Leatherworks makes a real nice leater holster for the AJT Designs fob, too... 8-)
Hm, I definitely selected the “red soft touch” buttons, and my receipt shows the same. Bummed if I didn’t get them.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hm, I definitely selected the “red soft touch” buttons, and my receipt shows the same. Bummed if I didn’t get them.
@YippieKiYayMrFalcon

I was looking at your pics with my Smartphone... Just looked again with my laptop and with the pic enlarged... yes, it looks like the soft. It is really hard to tell the hard from the soft when looking at them.... but you can feel the difference between the two. You will like the AJT fob.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Goin2drt
@others

Do know that the DI Labs fobs do not have a cavity in them to hold the stock key. Apparently, though, some day they will offer a fob with a cavity for the key...

With their fobs, you take the key off the stock fob and you attach that key to the DI Labs fob with a key holder and key ring.

IF, you have proximity on your JL/JLU/JT you might do as I did and hide the key on the outside of the vehicle.

There are lots of places you can stash a key on a JL/JLU/JT, that are inconspicuous and easy to access should you need the key. Very rarely for me...

DI Labs is actually going to offer two different types of "key holder options for key rings".

Do go here to see a pic that shows fobs and the key holders..
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/re-engineering-the-brick-keyfob.36077/post-639304

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Funny..... this holster hangs it on your belt.... outta the way...
IF you wanted smaller you should have waited for the DI Labs fob offerings... 8-)
it would look sweet next to my cell phone holster from 2001:LOL:

the DI labs design doesn’t appeal to me that much. Still waiting to see what their solution is for the key. I need quick access to it when I lock my console or glove box, and don’t like the idea of it still out on a key ring.

If it is that great of a FOB replacement, I’ve always got a second key I can use it with.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
The news of the much smaller DI Labs fob(s) has me near giddy...so tired of hauling this massive stock fob everyday. Hope they have plenty in stock on day one! :LOL:

Apologies if I missed a post, but is there a link to their upcoming store available yet?

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
So, my stock fob looks different. It has 3 buttons. Lock, unlock and a useless panic button that does nothing but get pressed accidentally when I have armloads of suff I am carrying. It seems that size could be reduced by doing away with this annoying feature.

What is the center button? On the red aftermarket fob it has a circle arrow around a grill. Looks like a "turn back over" button if you roll. That would be a great feature I would certainly buy!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, my stock fob looks different. It has 3 buttons. Lock, unlock and a useless panic button that does nothing but get pressed accidentally when I have armloads of suff I am carrying. It seems that size could be reduced by doing away with this annoying feature.

What is the center button? On the red aftermarket fob it has a circle arrow around a grill. Looks like a "turn back over" button if you roll. That would be a great feature I would certainly buy!
@Hound Dog

That X2 with the half circle / button is only on the 4 button fob.
That is the button you push twice to remote start the vehicle, if you have factory remote start.

This aftermarket fob will be available in any button combo you see on a JL or JT stock fob.

I had an extra stock fob with a broken remote start button. I decided since I have proximity on my JL that I would set up one of these DI Labs buttonless fobs using the board from that stock fob...

SO, I easily amputated all the buttons off my board with broken remote button and placed that board in the buttonless, DI Labs Mini fob.

So, I have a fob with no buttons. I have a key stashed on the outside of the JL. I have not used that key in close to 3 years now.... but it is there just in case..

Anyway, there will be many colors, textures, button combos with this aftermarket fob. From what I have heard, it will retail for about $40.

Sponsored