Terrific Aftermarket Fob I came across

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
@hingedthinker

Absolutely, sickening your "Ok Karens" comment.... really sickening...

Anyway, no reason to poke or drill a hole in the front of a $200+ stock fob to get the RFID chip out.
Takes but a few minutes to just open the fob and pry the chip out... to do it that way.

Why not just drill/poke a hole / deface the stock fob in an obvious place, as you suggest:

I had moved my stock fob guts into an AJT Designs aftermarket fob over a year ago.

After months of using the AJT fob, the remote button on the fob died.

I took the RFID chip & circuit board out of the AJT and placed it back into the stock fob....

Brought the defective button, stock fob to the dealer and received a warranty replacement.

Yes, the Service Dept. guy did look over the fob pretty carefully for water damage, damage in general. For sure he would have seen a hole drilled into the front of it!

He did NOT examine so closely as to see the tiny damage inside of the stock case, where I had removed the RFID chip before putting it back in place. . Had I drilled / poked a very visible, hole in the stock fob as you suggest, I would not have gotten a replacement fob under warranty..

Some people call that stealing. It's no wonder vehicles cost so much these days. Warranty fraud.
Advertisement

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
NO!! Please don't do this. There's no need to pierce through the stock fob to get the transponder chip out. While the chip can take a small bit of abuse, if you accidentally poke through it you're pretty much screwed.

The easiest thing to do is use a new blade in a utility knife, and cut at least 2 small slits (from top to bottom) in one side of the plastic enclosure surrounding the chip. Then use a small thin bladed (jewelers) flathead screwdriver to pry the plastic away. This should make enough room to get the screwdriver tip, a pick, or even the knife blade next to the chip so you can gently pry it up and out. If need be add another slit if you need more room.
What about the risk of accidentally poking through the chip with the leverage from a utility knife? I think you guys are being ridiculous... hence the comment.

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Could've said what you wanted to say without it, no?

Let's leave it at that.
was simply matching the tone and tenor friends... both of you could have not commented in the way in which you did in the first place. And left it at that...

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
was simply matching the tone and tenor friends... both of you could have not commented in the way in which you did in the first place. And left it at that...
@hingedthinker

I think both @jludave and I, are just being protective lets say, of fellow JL owner's.

Would be a real shame if somebody watched your video and damaged the RFID chip and then also, the part about not good, to have obvious damage on outside of stock fob should you need to get it replaced under warranty.

You way of removal is kind of cool actually, but not a way that I or most would recommend... Enough said by me on this...

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
@BackToWrangler

On Facebook there is a group that you can join, where Chinese company reps are giving those and other such Chinese offerings a way for free.. The FB group is called "Jeep Modified Club". Anyone can join the group..

Anyway, a rep there begged me to get one of the covers you have pictured and to do an amazon review for him in regard to the cover...

I got it and installed the red cover, on a spare fob I had. Yes, kinda cool but the stock fob with that cover weighed a friggin ton. YES, it did keep the key from popping out on it's own.

Anyway, I kept the cover for a day and then sold it. Got free to try and in the end got $ for it..

DO consider joining the Jeep Modified Club and get that stuff for free versus paying for it...
Thanks for the info!

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
My damned ever to be cursed to the lower depths of hell RF chip must be glued in. I am going to have to sacrifice the entire fob to get that thing out. It will not budge even though I've cut away half the stupid slot around it. I doubt my chip has even survived.

Nice job, Jeep. :angry:

UPDATE: I finally got it out (an hour later) but had to cut away most of the side walls of the RF chip slot (whilst hacking up the side of the chip - good thing it is encased) and then use a pliers to wriggle and wrench it free. Wow. Everything else took like < 5 mins to replace to the 3dom fob... looks good on that end, anyway. Nice not to have a brick in the pocket. I tested the chip by starting the Jeep without the rest of the fob and thankfully it was robust enough to withstand the horrors of extraction.

Keyfob butcher.jpg
Fob compare.jpg

Crawldad... no, not too silly (though I understand your exasperated point about the seeming obsessions with fobs)... I for one am thrilled the thread resurrected with the more recent info and I benefited from that info. I love the forums that folks keep offering info like this. Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: apb

Sital

First Name
Rich
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara - Ocean Blue
My damned ever to be cursed to the lower depths of hell RF chip must be glued in. I am going to have to sacrifice the entire fob to get that thing out. It will not budge even though I've cut away half the stupid slot around it. I doubt my chip has even survived.

Nice job, Jeep. :angry:
It felt like mine was glued in too, it was just wedged in tighter than tight. It definitely took a lot longer than a few minutes to remove. I used my Dremel to grind away each end of one side of the slot until i could get a jewelers screwdriver in there to pry the chip out. The chip went flying but was still functional. I will say the new fob is worth it though, so lightweight.

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
I need one that’s just the key, without any buttons or plastic. 😩 Call me an old soul, but I miss the days with metal keys and turning the key in ignition to start.

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
Well, so far I have removed the RFID chip from 5 stock fobs.... only one RFID, made me work at it's removal so to speak.

Yes, all RFID chips were wedged in the stock RFID slot tightly (none were glued in) but not one was a big deal to remove...... AND, no obvious damage to any of the stock fobs, thanks to my removing the RFID chip.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Well, so far I have removed the RFID chip from 5 stock fobs.... only one RFID, made me work at it's removal so to speak.

Yes, all RFID chips were wedged in the stock RFID slot tightly (none were glued in) but not one was a big deal to remove...... AND, no obvious damage to any of the stock fobs, thanks to my removing the RFID chip.
Lucky you then! :LOL: Mine was horrible - far worse than anything any of the rest of you indicated. Just unlucky, I guess. It was NOT going to move. I tried utility knife, razor blade, jewelers screw driver (all suggested on here some time back) - I almost resorted to the hole through method or a simple crushing of the fob plastic with a pliers! Broke three knife blade tips carving it out. It was nuts. And then I shot that little detente pin in the key across the room and have yet to find that little rascal. Obviously should have stayed in bed... what a putz.

Advertisement

Mac Haik CDJR Georgetown

Advertisement