DWS44

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Ocean Blue) 2017 Corvette Grand Sport CE
Occupation
CAD Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
The news of the much smaller DI Labs fob(s) has me near giddy...so tired of hauling this massive stock fob everyday. Hope they have plenty in stock on day one! :LOL:

Apologies if I missed a post, but is there a link to their upcoming store available yet?
Advertisement

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
So, my stock fob looks different. It has 3 buttons. Lock, unlock and a useless panic button that does nothing but get pressed accidentally when I have armloads of suff I am carrying. It seems that size could be reduced by doing away with this annoying feature.

What is the center button? On the red aftermarket fob it has a circle arrow around a grill. Looks like a "turn back over" button if you roll. That would be a great feature I would certainly buy!

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
So, my stock fob looks different. It has 3 buttons. Lock, unlock and a useless panic button that does nothing but get pressed accidentally when I have armloads of suff I am carrying. It seems that size could be reduced by doing away with this annoying feature.

What is the center button? On the red aftermarket fob it has a circle arrow around a grill. Looks like a "turn back over" button if you roll. That would be a great feature I would certainly buy!
@Hound Dog

That X2 with the half circle / button is only on the 4 button fob.
That is the button you push twice to remote start the vehicle, if you have factory remote start.

This aftermarket fob will be available in any button combo you see on a JL or JT stock fob.

I had an extra stock fob with a broken remote start button. I decided since I have proximity on my JL that I would set up one of these DI Labs buttonless fobs using the board from that stock fob...

SO, I easily amputated all the buttons off my board with broken remote button and placed that board in the buttonless, DI Labs Mini fob.

So, I have a fob with no buttons. I have a key stashed on the outside of the JL. I have not used that key in close to 3 years now.... but it is there just in case..

Anyway, there will be many colors, textures, button combos with this aftermarket fob. From what I have heard, it will retail for about $40.

roaniecowpony

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

The center button is for those that have remote start. But your idea would be better.

I believe the reason that the DSI Labs fob is shaped like that is that the circuit board in our fobs is that shape and size. So, no, getting rid of the panic button won't make it smaller. But you can disable it by putting a piece of Scotch tape on the contacts for that button.

Wkaz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Gibson Leatherworks make a really nice holster !

20201230_160218 (1).jpg

20201230_160207 (1).jpg

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t do fob holsters, I gave mine away....made it even bigger, I just put tape over the key pop out and it’s working fine...I don’t carry keys on the fob

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
Another spy photo... ;)

For those that are wondering how this NEW aftermarket, mini fob addresses the battery... with this brand aftermarket fob, no fooling with the battery to get it in place like with the other brand aftermarket brand..

Just place the battery in the designated cradle and close the fob up....
Capture000.JPG

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Another spy photo... ;)

For those that are wondering how this NEW aftermarket, mini fob addresses the battery... with this brand aftermarket fob, no fooling with the battery to get it in place like with the other brand aftermarket brand..

Just place the battery in the designated cradle and close the fob up....
Capture000.JPG
Alright, you've been teasing us long enough......when are they going to take my damn money??

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
How much have you invested in the setup and molds for this venture so far? Were you able to outsource the base manufacturing to an offshore company or did you manage it in house?

crdouglass3

First Name
Carl
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 2020 Gladiator
How much have you invested in the setup and molds for this venture so far? Were you able to outsource the base manufacturing to an offshore company or did you manage it in house?
Assuming you are referring to the most recent fob photos......These aren't molded but printed using industrial 3D printers (we call it additive manufacturing - 3D printing's big brother). They are made from sintered nylon powder (PA12). We have made a significant design investment and will be producing them in Minnesota. The only component that's made off-shore is the T6 Torx driver provided with the kit.

I started the project because I hated my fob (I have a Gladiator), and it grew from a pet project into a full-blown initiative with trusted beta testers and dozens of design iterations. It's still a passion project and we are enjoying working with the beta testers and incorporating their feedback into our designs.

Ultimately, we came up with the smallest fob possible without changing the battery or factory circuit board.

roaniecowpony

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Carl,
What do you do with the metal emergency key?

Advertisement

Tazer JL - Z Automotive

Advertisement