Terrific Aftermarket Fob I came across

crlonner

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
@crlonner

With setting up the new beta fob I am presently using/evaluating, etc., I mentioned in my last post, (it sure is so so small in comparison to the AJT Fob)...... ...... ...... I once again, found myself removing the RFID chip from a stock JL fob.

I have removed the chip from 6 stock fobs so far. Anyway, I have damaged no stock fobs while pulling the chip. I will admit the last one I did a few days ago, did make me work at it so to speak.

Anyway, I do not use a utility knife.

I keep in mind that the RFID chip is pretty stout, but it can be damaged/rendered useless if you cut into it or pierce it. So, I do not use a utility knife.

What I do is to take a thin but somewhat wide flat tip screwdriver and carefully drive (using a small mallet to tap firmly, on the handle of the screwdriver) it between the chip and the wall of the stock fob. When I do this the wall gives/spreads and then I can very carefully pry the chip up an out. The RFID chip has no problem handling the pressure of the screwdriver blade against it.

With mine, I used a small screwdriver used for eyeglasses and it still couldn't get in. However, as I said, I was able to get the chip out without damaging the chip. But I did need to damage the original key fob cover.
Advertisement

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
With mine, I used a small screwdriver used for eyeglasses and it still couldn't get in. However, as I said, I was able to get the chip out without damaging the chip. But I did need to damage the original key fob cover.
I sssume when you say damage, the damage was on the inside of the fob... the damage was on the part that secures the chip...

Here is what has worked for me each time and has resulted in zero damage:

I know you did the deed already, just typing this out so it might help someone else.

Used a small very thin blade flat tip screwdriver with a wide blade.

You place the thin blade in the slight gap between the chip and stock case and then with say a small tack hammer gently, tap tap, on the screwdriver handle. The blade will then proceed downward and spread things enough so you can get in there and pry the chip up. You can't / you won't be able to, just push the flat tip down and get in in there.

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
You know how you go outside or out to the garage to look at, fool with, admire your JL/JLU.....
... well, I find myself going over ... picking up and looking at this tiny aftermarket fob....

Geeeez, it is something else. Light light like a feather, so small... gets lost in the coin pocket of my jean's.. No more clunky stock or AJT fob's in leather holsters for me...

Anyway, I know there will be other's here spewing this same thing, once they get their mits on this new DI Labs fob.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Got my AJT FOB today, and holy crap that was a PITA. Took longer than I’m going to admit publicly. But at least I don’t have the key jabbing my leg all the time.

anyone know what it actually takes to damage that transponder to the point it doesn’t work? Do scratches on the edge of it do anything? Sorry, no pic of the “damage”, just the final product.

FFD4B8FB-488B-4D38-90D0-FC6E6226ACC1.jpeg

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
Got my AJT FOB today, and holy crap that was a PITA. Took longer than I’m going to admit publicly. But at least I don’t have the key jabbing my leg all the time.

anyone know what it actually takes to damage that transponder to the point it doesn’t work? Do scratches on the edge of it do anything? Sorry, no pic of the “damage”, just the final product.
@YippieKiYayMrFalcon

The RFID gets damaged if you cut into it ... or poke/pierce a hole in it. Scratches or say pressure type marks on the side of the RFID chip, does not damage the inners on the chip.

IF you want to check the RFID to see if it is damaged... not working.... take the battery out of the fob and then take the chip itself and press it against the start button. IF the vehicle starts the RFID is aok...

Getting the battery into the AJT Designs fob is a real issue for some.. there is a trick so to speak though, to getting it in.... and once you know the trick getting it in and the sides of the fob together is no longer a process, lets say.

The new DI Labs fob offering is very easy to get the battery into. That fob has a battery cradle that secures the battery so when you go to put the sides together, the battery is not sliding all over.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@YippieKiYayMrFalcon

The RFID gets damaged if you cut into it ... or poke/pierce a hole in it. Scratches or say pressure type marks on the side of the RFID chip, does not damage the inners on the chip.

IF you want to check the RFID to see if it is damaged... not working.... take the battery out of the fob and then take the chip itself and press it against the start button. IF the vehicle starts the RFID is aok...

Getting the battery into the AJT Designs fob is a real issue for some.. there is a trick so to speak though, to getting it in.... and once you know the trick getting it in and the sides of the fob together is no longer a process, lets say.

The new DI Labs fob offering is very easy to get the battery into. That fob has a battery cradle that secures the battery so when you go to put the sides together, the battery is not sliding all over.
thanks. It’s just scratches on the outside, so I think I’m good.

I thought about the battery out testing after I got it together, and there was no way I was taking it back apart to test it.

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
@YippieKiYayMrFalcon

It looks like you did not get the "soft buttons" that AJT Designs sells for the fob... You may want to get a set of those as they do make a difference for the better, feel wise..

Gibson Leatherworks makes a real nice leater holster for the AJT Designs fob, too... 8-)

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@YippieKiYayMrFalcon

It looks like you did not get the "soft buttons" that AJT Designs sells for the fob... You may want to get a set of those as they do make a difference for the better, feel wise..

Gibson Leatherworks makes a real nice leater holster for the AJT Designs fob, too... 8-)
Hm, I definitely selected the “red soft touch” buttons, and my receipt shows the same. Bummed if I didn’t get them.

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
Hm, I definitely selected the “red soft touch” buttons, and my receipt shows the same. Bummed if I didn’t get them.
@YippieKiYayMrFalcon

I was looking at your pics with my Smartphone... Just looked again with my laptop and with the pic enlarged... yes, it looks like the soft. It is really hard to tell the hard from the soft when looking at them.... but you can feel the difference between the two. You will like the AJT fob.

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
@Rhinebeck01 will you be able to go from AJT to this one? I want to keep my second key original.
@Goin2drt

I too wanted to keep one fob stock and I did. The other stock fob transitioned to the AJT.

Early on I had a fob that the remote button failed on. Dealer replaced it and let me keep the defective fob, so I ended up having 3 fobs..

That 3rd fob with the bad remote start button is the one I have used for the DI Labs fob. One of my DI Labs fobs is a buttonless fob. I don't need buttons as I have proximity.

Anyway, Yes, in a couple of minutes time, you can very easily move the RFID chip and the board from the AJT Designs to the DI Labs fob.

You will need to get one screw from the stock fob you pulled the guts out of to build the AJT fob.

That single screw is what holds the two halves of the DI Labs fob together.

By the way, using a black sharpie, I colored the screw head black, so as to not have a shiney screw on the DI Labs fob. Some may like a shiney screw or not care at all. I chose to darken it up.

The DI Labs fob has a battery cradle so no fussing at all, trying to get the battery into the fob, unlike with the AJT. You can assemble the tiny DI Labs fob in say 45 seconds..

Go chance I will be selling my AJT Designs fob and transitioning the inners in it to a 4 button DI Labs fob. YES, the DI Labs fob is that nice.... so small, so not there lets say 8-) in my jean's pants pocket.. a real pleasure to have is the DI Labs fob.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
@Goin2drt
@others

Do know that the DI Labs fobs do not have a cavity in them to hold the stock key. Apparently, though, some day they will offer a fob with a cavity for the key...

With their fobs, you take the key off the stock fob and you attach that key to the DI Labs fob with a key holder and key ring.

IF, you have proximity on your JL/JLU/JT you might do as I did and hide the key on the outside of the vehicle.

There are lots of places you can stash a key on a JL/JLU/JT, that are inconspicuous and easy to access should you need the key. Very rarely for me...

DI Labs is actually going to offer two different types of "key holder options for key rings".

Do go here to see a pic that shows fobs and the key holders..
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/re-engineering-the-brick-keyfob.36077/post-639304

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Funny..... this holster hangs it on your belt.... outta the way...
IF you wanted smaller you should have waited for the DI Labs fob offerings... 8-)
it would look sweet next to my cell phone holster from 2001:LOL:

the DI labs design doesn’t appeal to me that much. Still waiting to see what their solution is for the key. I need quick access to it when I lock my console or glove box, and don’t like the idea of it still out on a key ring.

If it is that great of a FOB replacement, I’ve always got a second key I can use it with.

Advertisement

TopLift Pros

Advertisement