Sponsored

Terrible Seats

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! What does this entail, and is there a risk of the seat rail bending?
There is a thread somewhere that covers it. Basically, buy four 1/2 inch nuts, and four slightly longer replacement bolts. Remove the two front seat bracket bolts, and loosen but don’t remove the rear seat bracket bolts (making installation easier). Slip one of the 1/2 nuts under each side of the front seat bracket and line it up with the bolt holes for the bracket. Then, using the slightly longer replacement bolts for the front, tighten the bracket back up, then tighten the rear bracket bolts.

do the same for the passenger seat.

Takes maybe 15 min per seat. Doesn’t appear to have any impact on the bracket, other than to change the rake angle of the front just enough to notice.

TJ PL MN

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR. 2016 Acura MDX
OK, so I finally found something I don't like about my Wrangler, and it's potentially a deal breaker. I have slipped disks in my lower spine and I just realized that the seats in this thing are horrible, they give me a back ache just driving across town. There's no way I'll be able to do road trips in this situation. I mean, this is bad, it's ruining the fun of driving it. The adjustments are useless and the seat doesn't tilt at all. The seat in my 20 year old Blazer is more comfortable because it tilts back and forth, and I keep it tilted back slightly so I'm sort of pushed into the seat. Short of spending $1000 to replace the front seats, what can I do to mitigate this? I'm afraid I might end up having to sell my dream car because it literally hurts.
Roll a hand towel into a tube and apply rubber bands to hold Shape. Stick in small of back when driving . If back feels better wirh towel, go buy a mesh lumbar support (Cheap) to increase lumbar curvature to release nerve from disc while in acute phase of healing.
Hope this helps!

DJDirubbo

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MB e63, 2021 392 Rubicon, 2018 F250 platinum
OK, so I finally found something I don't like about my Wrangler, and it's potentially a deal breaker. I have slipped disks in my lower spine and I just realized that the seats in this thing are horrible, they give me a back ache just driving across town. There's no way I'll be able to do road trips in this situation. I mean, this is bad, it's ruining the fun of driving it. The adjustments are useless and the seat doesn't tilt at all. The seat in my 20 year old Blazer is more comfortable because it tilts back and forth, and I keep it tilted back slightly so I'm sort of pushed into the seat. Short of spending $1000 to replace the front seats, what can I do to mitigate this? I'm afraid I might end up having to sell my dream car because it literally hurts.
Honestly, if your dream jeep cost $50,000 anyhow, why wouldn't you just get $1,000 seat made or buy an aftermarket? I have two ruptured disks myself, i have no issue with the seats (cloth), i would also have no issue spending money to be more comfortable. I agree, the adjustments are very limited. Buy a new seat.

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I just need to throw a "different strokes for different folks" into the mix because I keep seeing this topic return to the top. My 2019 JLR factory leather seats are some of the most comfortable i've been in. The 6 hour drive in my 2014 Audi S5 to buy my JL left me uncomfortable. The drive back in the Jeep left me painless the next morning. 10k miles in and I've always felt comfortable on long drives.

Best of luck solving the issue, not meant to detract from it but just fascinating that I had the opposite issue. I figured my Audi would have much more supple seating than the Jeep.

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Honestly, if your dream jeep cost $50,000 anyhow, why wouldn't you just get $1,000 seat made or buy an aftermarket? I have two ruptured disks myself, i have no issue with the seats (cloth), i would also have no issue spending money to be more comfortable. I agree, the adjustments are very limited. Buy a new seat.
If I could be sure $1000 would buy or build (modify existing) a comfortable seat, I’d do it, but how can I guarantee that which ever seat I buy will solve the problem? I took a 30 minute test drive in the Wrangler and the seat seemed comfortable, my pain comes after 40 minutes of driving.

(I took a $50 chance on a blow up lumbar support, hope to install later this week.)

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
Having your left foot sit out and tilted also can cause low back aggravation. To solve this install a dead pedal, it definitely helped me.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
I've been driving Jeeps since 1972. None of the CJs or Wranglers have had decent seats, if you have back issues, the seats just suck. Other than replacing he seats with good aftermarket seats, you don't have much of a choice. Perhaps you need to look at one of the Grand Cherokee Limited models, although I've had a few of them and while they are better than Wrangler seats, they aren't the greatest.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I've got disc problems and have already had one surgery. I can't rid in any vehicle (or even sit at my desk for that matter) for any length of time without wearing one of those mid section back braces.
You could probably loosen all the bolts and slip some spacers under the front to lift it up. I did that on my '04 LJ with ease and these seats look like you could do that too. Good luck, I feel your pain.
On a side note I find the seats comfortable and supportive.

Sponsored

Luntz

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon LJRU

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Let me start by saying YES the Jeep seats to be improved. BUT I have come to understand I have a left leg IT Band issue plus a butt muscle issue and for $200 with a muscle chiropractor (not a bone breaker) has fixed me...

I can drive and ride Jeep without pain and discomfort. Check it out...

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
Sorry to hear of your pain. The JLR seats are way better than my Tacoma seats, I have degenerative disk issues, so far so good.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yes, different strokes for different folk's. My JLR seat is fine, the gas pedal position is F'd up and cause's right hip pain on long trails.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have leather seats? I noticed reading through build sheets that JLUR with leather seats get what they call #1 seat cushion but cloth seats don't list that so they must get the #2 seat cushion.
Sponsored