Terrible Seats

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
OK, so I finally found something I don't like about my Wrangler, and it's potentially a deal breaker. I have slipped disks in my lower spine and I just realized that the seats in this thing are horrible, they give me a back ache just driving across town. There's no way I'll be able to do road trips in this situation. I mean, this is bad, it's ruining the fun of driving it. The adjustments are useless and the seat doesn't tilt at all. The seat in my 20 year old Blazer is more comfortable because it tilts back and forth, and I keep it tilted back slightly so I'm sort of pushed into the seat. Short of spending $1000 to replace the front seats, what can I do to mitigate this? I'm afraid I might end up having to sell my dream car because it literally hurts.
Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
OK, so I finally found something I don't like about my Wrangler, and it's potentially a deal breaker. I have slipped disks in my lower spine and I just realized that the seats in this thing are horrible, they give me a back ache just driving across town. There's no way I'll be able to do road trips in this situation. I mean, this is bad, it's ruining the fun of driving it. The adjustments are useless and the seat doesn't tilt at all. The seat in my 20 year old Blazer is more comfortable because it tilts back and forth, and I keep it tilted back slightly so I'm sort of pushed into the seat. Short of spending $1000 to replace the front seats, what can I do to mitigate this? I'm afraid I might end up having to sell my dream car because it literally hurts.
I have to ask why in the world would you buy a Rubicon then? You would have been better off with a Sahara. I have the Rubicon and it is a little bumpy but my wife's Sahara rides much better. Any chance the dealer would help you swap into a Sahara (after you test it to make sure)?

Sorry for your troubles and hope you can resolve it.

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I have to ask why in the world would you buy a Rubicon then? You would have been better off with a Sahara. I have the Rubicon and it is a little bumpy but my wife's Sahara rides much better. Any chance the dealer would help you swap into a Sahara (after you test it to make sure)?

Thanks, yeah, I don't think it's the suspension, it's the seat. The old ZR2 Blazer is like driving a car with steel bars where the shocks should be, VERY rough ride, far rougher than the Wrangler, but the drivers seat is fully adjustable and doesn't hurt my back. I just drove a 20 mile round trip and I could feel it putting pressure on my upper butt and lower back. I knew I'd be hurting when I got out and man, I am.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Thanks, yeah, I don't think it's the suspension, it's the seat. The old ZR2 Blazer is like driving a car with steel bars where the shocks should be, VERY rough ride, far more rough than the Wrangler, but the drivers seat is fully adjustable and doesn't hurt my back. I just drove a 20 mile round trip and I could feel it putting pressure on my upper butt and lower back. I knew I'd be hurting when I got out and man, I am.
My friend had back surgery a few years back (at the time he owned a Power Wagon, ouch) and had a new drivers seat made for him. It wasn't that costly even with leather. No one says you have to make two!
Good luck buddy, try some Baclofen to help release your back muscles.

C

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
I also have 3 damaged disks in my spine from osteoarthritis (2 lower and one cervical) and I kind of agree the seats could be better as I tend to move a bit in them all the time and usually that's a sign I'm not fully comfortable either. I also found that the adjustment level could have been improved on my sport S model but whatever problem you may have, the good thing about jeeps is you can look at modification options and there are lots of them in the aftermarket world.

You have the option to buy adjustment seat cushions, changing the seat, having it customized, the list goes on. Look online, I'm sure you can find a good option to modify your vehicle as a first try so that you can be seated comfortably enough hopefully. Your dealer may even have previous experience with people with medical conditions and may already have a solution for it as well. don't lose hope.

Before selling it, I would try low costs solutions like medical back cushions air bladder etc. or something like that, maybe all you need is a little more cushioning and adjustment specific for your spine shape, maybe different seat belt strapping you in etc.

Also, keep in mind your seats are new and should normally soften up a bit, combined with an adapted cushion etc, it may also be all you need.

Good luck and I hope you don't end up getting rid of it, its a great vehicle otherwise.

Sponsored

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I know that there are kits to adjust the rear seat angle.... Probably can fabricate, or buy a kit for the front? ( Consisted of spacers of different thicknesses that would " tilt" the seat back slightly...) Would probably help.

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Start with putting 1/2” spacers under the front 2 bolts that secure your seat to the floor, you’ll get a bit of a tilt. I’m also trying the Purple back cushion - it’s better, but I think it’s too much.

My Rubicon’s lumbar support ALMOST works for me, but I don’t think it’s high enough up the seat and doesn’t extend far enough for my body.

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
While not as bad as OP I agree on the seats. Overall comfy but I like max lumbar cushioning. So if I’m road tripping I’ll toss an extra lumbar cushion in.

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Don't blame the seats, Blame your back..

If Chevy works for you, stick with Chevy.

Sorry.....
Thanks man, and it's not that I'm a Chevy guy who just wants to go back to Chevy. I bought the Wrangler because Chevy just isn't making anything like it. They even had the audacity to put the Blazer nameplate on a "crossover" unibody family truckster. I literally love everything else about the Jeep, there's nothing else to dislike, but I can't drive a car that literally causes pain. The seat is at fault and I know this because of how it feels. The seat in my old Blazer doesn't hurt my back despite my preexisting back issues.
The problems are that it's too hard, lacks a tilt adjustment and doesn't offer enough support under the knees, it just doesn't spread the load over a large enough area.

Sponsored

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

Sorry, I must of missed something, but what does being a Sahara or Rubicon has anything to do with the design of the seats?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Did you test drive it before you bought it?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Sorry about your situation @Formattc , my back isn't great but have found these JL seats great for long trips. Used to get out of our Infiniti after shorter drives and my wife and I would both be stiff & achy, after drives twice as long (like 770 miles one way) we get out without any issues. FWIW had an old Chevy Blazer and can't remember taking it on long drives because it wasn't reliable, but I do recall those bars you're talking about :(

Like mentioned, maybe a few "tweaks" to your current seat w/ some extra bolstering in areas and more lumbar support perhaps. If your Rubicon has leather seats the leather should get more comfortable over time, but patience isn't a virtue if you're in pain along the way :(

G'Luck!
Sponsored