Terrible Experience with our JLU - Limp Mode on Trail

Butterybunz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2017 Ford Fiesta ST & Fiat 500x Trekking Plus
New JLU owner here with less than 1k miles. My fiance and I decided to take our new JLU Sport on a 30 mile trail up to Duluth, MN. This trail is rated as "Easy" and is mostly just a scenic dirt road. The trail had some snow and ice which made it a bit more technical but still a beginner level. We were getting towards the end of the 30 mile trail and the sun is going down. The entire trail is extremely remote and does not have cell phone signal. We come across and newer Silverado that is completely stuck on a big snow drift. I get out and talk to them. They tell me they've been stuck there for 5 hours! :surprised:

I pull them out and we all decide to turn around and head back, the snow drift is too high to risk at this time of night etc.

On the way back I'm hitting a couple puddles and such, nothing crazy. All of a sudden the dash lights up and the Jeep shuts down.... Total :swear: moment.... We're still a good 15 miles from civilization and have no cell service. Outside temp is 12 degrees. We'ere thinking we might be spending the night here..

I start the Jeep back up and it's in limp mode. Won't let me go over 2k RPMS. My JLU is a manual transmission. The throttle is also really wonky. Have a CEL light, traction light and a warning that says "Service Stability Traction Control System."

I try shutting the Jeep down and back on but still in limp mode. I end up driving it over 15 miles to the nearest gas station in limp mode. Had to stay under 2k rpms and force it into each gear.

After letting it sit for 5-10 minutes at the gas station, it starts up and is no longer in limp mode. Still has a CEL. At this point we had to decide to try to keep going to Duluth or turn back. We had hotel reservations and plans since it's the fiance's birthday weekend...

We decide to head home. JLU drives fine on the way home. Next morning I'm on my way to the dealer and the CEL turns off..... :swear: They say they can't find any codes and that everything seems fine....

All in all, extremely disappointed in what happened and my fiance's birthday weekend being ruined.

Here's a couple pictures, this was before all the issues...
pXqAoSJ.jpg

ITNhBXo.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
If you drove through water/mud/snow my guess would be a wheel speed sensor being "blocked." I see this on JKs(with mud down south as we don't get much snow,) but fortunantly it doesn't throw the Jeep into limp mode just turns on the CEL and disables stability control etc.

crik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade; 2018 JLUS
That truly sucks! I hope you can find out what the hell happened. I'd be extremely disappointed as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Butterybunz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you drove through water/mud/snow my guess would be a wheel speed sensor being "blocked." I see this on JKs(with mud down south as we don't get much snow,) but fortunantly it doesn't throw the Jeep into limp mode just turns on the CEL and disables stability control etc.
I'm guessing speed sensor as well, went crazy when water from a puddle froze to it. No reason it should have went into limp mode and dealer had no solution for me.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Another issue is you may want to consider changing your user name.

I can't decide if it makes me horny or hungry but either way it is awkward.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Definitely don’t understand why the dealer can’t read the code.

Did you try to disable esc when in limp mode? I wonder if you turned off esc by pressing the button for 5 seconds if the jeep would have exited limp mode.

The owner’s manual discusses tcs and esc starting on page 208.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Butterybunz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely don’t understand why the dealer can’t read the code.

Did you try to disable esc when in limp mode? I wonder if you turned off esc by pressing the button for 5 seconds if the jeep would have exited limp mode.

The owner’s manual discusses tcs and esc starting on page 208.
I tried turning traction control off and on. Button acted like it was disabled, nothing happened when I pushed it. I can't recall how long I held it down.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
If the vehicle went into limp mode the computer will record the event and the dealer should be able to pull the data

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Iv got 800 Miles with some through deep snow/ water on my manual transmission sport. No issues. My JK never had issues either. Just as many electronics.

Maybe you have some weird electrical issue. Do you have the aux switches? Mayabe one of the wire ends under the hood is exposed? Crazy thought but who knows.

Last edited:

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I thought I read somewhere if you're in 4H which I assume you were that ESC is partially disabled. If you're in 4L it's fully disabled.

Also, if a code is thrown then it will be recorded regardless if it goes away. The dealer should have been able to read it.

I think you can buy a code reader that stays plugged into the ODB-II port all the time. This will ensure all codes thrown will be recorded on the fly. There may even be some that are wireless and can link to an app on your phone. I know one is made for my Audi.
Sponsored