Terrible Experience with our JLU - Limp Mode on Trail

Matic

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon. 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD, DC, Pretunner
This just happened to me over the holiday weekend. I drove from SC to Ohio to visit family. I followed my Dad down to our hunting property and he got his 1500 stuck in the mud so I tried to pull him out in my Rubicon. No go so we just jumped in the Jeep and drove the hour back home.

So I decided to go to the car wash and wash the bit of mud I had on the undercarriage. After finishing, I started it up and immediately noticed the "Red lightning bolt from hell" symbol still lit up on the dash. Didn't think anything of it till I tried to get out in traffic and it stumbled to accelerate. Aha! limp mode.

Got it to the folks place and let it sit for an hour, got back in it and it fired up. No issues, lightning bolt gone.
Drove the 500 miles back home without an issue. Hoping it just was a fluke.

It does have something to do with the etc from everything I've read on the net. I have to get my 5000 mile oil change this week so I'll see what they have to say about it.
Sponsored

Deleted User 129489

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Limited
Occupation
Trainer
New JLU owner here with less than 1k miles. My fiance and I decided to take our new JLU Sport on a 30 mile trail up to Duluth, MN. This trail is rated as "Easy" and is mostly just a scenic dirt road. The trail had some snow and ice which made it a bit more technical but still a beginner level. We were getting towards the end of the 30 mile trail and the sun is going down. The entire trail is extremely remote and does not have cell phone signal. We come across and newer Silverado that is completely stuck on a big snow drift. I get out and talk to them. They tell me they've been stuck there for 5 hours! :surprised:

I pull them out and we all decide to turn around and head back, the snow drift is too high to risk at this time of night etc.

On the way back I'm hitting a couple puddles and such, nothing crazy. All of a sudden the dash lights up and the Jeep shuts down.... Total :swear: moment.... We're still a good 15 miles from civilization and have no cell service. Outside temp is 12 degrees. We'ere thinking we might be spending the night here..

I start the Jeep back up and it's in limp mode. Won't let me go over 2k RPMS. My JLU is a manual transmission. The throttle is also really wonky. Have a CEL light, traction light and a warning that says "Service Stability Traction Control System."

I try shutting the Jeep down and back on but still in limp mode. I end up driving it over 15 miles to the nearest gas station in limp mode. Had to stay under 2k rpms and force it into each gear.

After letting it sit for 5-10 minutes at the gas station, it starts up and is no longer in limp mode. Still has a CEL. At this point we had to decide to try to keep going to Duluth or turn back. We had hotel reservations and plans since it's the fiance's birthday weekend...

We decide to head home. JLU drives fine on the way home. Next morning I'm on my way to the dealer and the CEL turns off..... :swear: They say they can't find any codes and that everything seems fine....

All in all, extremely disappointed in what happened and my fiance's birthday weekend being ruined.

Here's a couple pictures, this was before all the issues...
pXqAoSJ.jpg

ITNhBXo.jpg