Sponsored

Terrible experience getting windows tinted on my Jeep...

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I recently went into Pro Tint and Auto Detailing in Orlando (next to the Pulse Night Club memorial) to have my windows tinted on my doors and paint protection film on the bottom of the door jambs. I have previously had my other vehicles done here and figured I would continue the tradition... Told the guy at the front desk I wanted my windows on the doors to match the soft top and wanted some PPF on the door jambs as I notice most people seem to drag their feet a bit when getting in and out. Also mentioned I wouldn't be interested in going for ceramics this time around as I don't see the point in a soft top Jeep.

The guy tried to upsell me on an expensive full front PPF option for $2,000 that I declined. But accepted the quote of $100 for protecting the door jambs, $70 for the two door windows and was suckered into getting the windshield done in clear Crystalline for $170. I was sold on the fact it would cut down glare, both inside and out (it doesn't). I agreed and asked how soon could get it done. Was informed the same day, in only a few hours max. This worked for me, figured I could walk around the area and get a bite. Came back a few hours later my Jeep was still in the same spot and continued walking. Hour later, I came back by and still in the same spot. So I waited in the lobby watched them over promise and under delivered someone with a BMW... They finally got my car back and got it done in about 45 mins, last car of the day. They didn't do the PPF as requested and thought I wanted to schedule that another day and acted as if they didn't know I wanted it done. But if I come in first thing in the morning, they will get it done quickly.

I come in the next morning. Immediately notice this strange blueish green hue all over the streets surface and sky is this uneven blue when looking through my prescriptions sunglasses and the typical glares you get from the interior of the Rubicon is way worse. When I come in the new guy didn't know anything about the door jambs and no notes where left previously. But he could get me in around lunch time, I said that was okay and will come back around 11:30. He asked for my keys and told him no, I will be back around lunch when they are ready. I was then told to reschedule when I can leave the vehicle. I am admittedly slightly annoyed at this point and said I will go with another option rather then trying to continue to get this done with them.

I went on and told him I wasn't happy with the windshield tint they put on and when looking through my sunglasses its very off color. He then started showing me other cars, asking if I clean my own (I do not) and how it was normal to see a blueish tint. I again told him I wasn't happy and it's really bad in my Jeep and it maybe worse being it's a vertical flat windshield. He started at this point walking away from me and saying it's normal. Before I got in my Jeep, I clearly told him I wasn't happy at all and I may want it removed for safety concerns. He told me I bought the best of the best and we parted ways...

When I started driving back, this time in direct sunlight my view was absolutely terrible and dangerous. I immediately pulled over and removed the tint in one solid sheet within a few seconds from a corner that wasn't down all the way... I immediately turned around and went back to the store. I told them wanted my money back for that portion of the windshield installation job, I wasn't happy with it at all and in direct sunlight it's like looking at a rainbow. I had the tint in my hands and put it in the trash. They immediately started arguing with me telling me it's going to be blurry, it has to dry. I refused to argue, told them my issue wasn't with it being blurry and I can't see the road due to color shift. I was giving them the opportunity to make the situation right and refund that portion of the job and I'm not looking for something free. Asked them to do the right thing or I will just dispute it with AMEX. They then tried to escalate the situation with other employees joining in and started to become condescending towards me so I left.

This is my view through my prescription sunglasses just before I removed the tint.

Jeep Wrangler JL Terrible experience getting windows tinted on my Jeep... tempImage88r4IE

Jeep Wrangler JL Terrible experience getting windows tinted on my Jeep... tempImageVyXd5s

This was later in the day after I removed the clear windshield tint. Side windows came out alright at least.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
SH556JL

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Just to add a little follow up to this, since I mentioned this issue in another thread. I had a long phone conversation with the owner not long after this happened. He said it’s 100% compatible with polarized sunglasses. He would know, as he has some expensive pair of polarized sunglasses and has the Crystalline in all his vehicles. It was implied I was full of shit and it just needed to dry. He refused to address the issue on why I received a tinted film, when it was supposed to be clear. Owner also did not care about the other inconveniences.

I was welcomed to come back and give it another try. I refused, I also didn’t ask if that would be at my cost or what his intentions where. I simply just wanted my money back for that portion of the job and be done with it. Owner refused saying he couldn’t afford that, material is expensive and I was unreasonable. I refused to argue with him and said would dispute the charges; I did and won.

Jeep Wrangler JL Terrible experience getting windows tinted on my Jeep... 23247504-5D29-4FA0-9BA1-FC8B5BBE8508

Little odd, they did try and follow me on my barely used Instagram not long after our phone conversation.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Well that definitely was a bad experience.
I found a great window tint company locally, by finding out where my local Dodge dealer sends most of their work, it turned out to be a small mom and pop shop and they did great work.
Might be one way to go, just have to ask one of the sales guys or service advisor.

avensis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
It's a very bad experience, sad for you.
Sponsored

Last edited: