Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Hey guys,
I'm the proud owner of a new JLUR - Billet 3.6 6MT that I factory ordered back in May. I am over the moon on everything about my Jeep...with one glaring issue. This clutch is absolutely terrible. I have been driving manuals for 20+ years of all sorts and I've never had such issues as with this Jeep. 1 in 3 times I lurch when coming out of first, I feel like I'm threading a needle trying to find the sweet spot where I don't. The amount of pedal travel before the clutch engages is out of control. I'm seriously considering taking a multi thousand dollar hit and trading my beloved Billet Rubicon that I chose all the perfect options for me on. Just in order to make my drivability reasonable. I don't know the point of this thread other than to vent and ask for advice.
Ur engine might have issues with its torque curve ...it might not be the clutch
Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
The throttle by wire plays into this too, as it's also touchy.
agreed , it lags a bit compared to the ones with throttle cables. the trick is to start on the gas pedal earlier than a typical vehicle. But I still notice that at low rpms (below 2000)the vehicle has a jerky torque curve. Somethings a bit off on some of the 3.6 's

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
What's the secret that you discovered after researching?
There's no secret sauce to it.

Rather it's figuring out how the clutch reacts.

I treat it almost like a two step. Lifting the clutch pedal I feel the first disc engage which effectively "preloads" the clutch at around 1,500 rpm.

From this position, it doesn't matter if I'm on flat or or an incline, I then gradually lift the clutch pedal further and feed in more throttle until I feel the 2nd disc engage and off I go.

The first disc always slips a bit the 2nd disc grabs like an off/on switch.

With the JLUR 4.10 gears the engine has more then enough torque at those ram to take off.

Hope this helps

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Hey guys,
I'm the proud owner of a new JLUR - Billet 3.6 6MT that I factory ordered back in May. I am over the moon on everything about my Jeep...with one glaring issue. This clutch is absolutely terrible. I have been driving manuals for 20+ years of all sorts and I've never had such issues as with this Jeep. 1 in 3 times I lurch when coming out of first, I feel like I'm threading a needle trying to find the sweet spot where I don't. The amount of pedal travel before the clutch engages is out of control. I'm seriously considering taking a multi thousand dollar hit and trading my beloved Billet Rubicon that I chose all the perfect options for me on. Just in order to make my drivability reasonable. I don't know the point of this thread other than to vent and ask for advice.
You're not wrong. It does get better with time though. I don't know if it's me or the clutch getting better, but I've driven manuals for 30 years and this Jeep is the trickiest. Don't give up.
Someone posted pics of it, vs a Clutchmasters, it's definitely an odd setup.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
There's no secret sauce to it.

Rather it's figuring out how the clutch reacts.

I treat it almost like a two step. Lifting the clutch pedal I feel the first disc engage which effectively "preloads" the clutch at around 1,500 rpm.

From this position, it doesn't matter if I'm on flat or or an incline, I then gradually lift the clutch pedal further and feed in more throttle until I feel the 2nd disc engage and off I go.

The first disc always slips a bit the 2nd disc grabs like an off/on switch.

With the JLUR 4.10 gears the engine has more then enough torque at those ram to take off.

Hope this helps
The stock clutch doesn't have 2 discs. It has a dual mass flywheel and possibly a dual friction material clutch plate, but there is only 1 clutch plate. What you are feeling is the dual mass flywheel moving on its springs.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/centerforce-clutch-installed-on-jl-rubicon.49050/

This thread's 1st post shows the stock clutch apart. Only 1 clutch plate.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hey guys,
Hey, WashingtonWetWheeler. Although I see you are looking for assistance from fellow forum members, if you don't find what you're looking for we are happy to help. We'll be in private message to discuss.

Kate
Jeep Cares

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
After 2500 miles the break in has definitely helped even out the gearing and clutch. Although I still struggle a bit with the spring loaded clutch to 1st. I wish the release was a little smoother. All that said, I wouldn't have a different transmission. Don't give up, it will get better.

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
Gorilla, you are wrong. Take a look at this thread:

Clutch Thread

The other disc is actually internal to the pressure plate.

Pete

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
This is a very soft clutch. That isn't going to change. I have been driving it for over 3 years on two different Jeeps and I still don't love it in first and in reverse.

But it is worth it to me to drive a manual again.

Not sure why they made it so soft though.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Gorilla, you are wrong. Take a look at this thread:

Clutch Thread

The other disc is actually internal to the pressure plate.

Pete
WTF??? That's stupid. A dual mass flywheel and a twin plate clutch....???? No wonder everyone is having issues with engagement.

Thanks for the info, glad I bought an auto....

Sponsored

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I feel like thereā€™s got to be something wrong with your clutch. Jeep manuals are generally considered really easy to drive, and Iā€™d agree; my JK and JL manuals were easy to drive smoothly on and off-road.

That said, I sold my JL as 1) I was offered a ton of money for it 2) the manual transmission is not good, even with a properly working clutch.

Iā€™ll be getting a new JL in a few months, and it will definitely be an automatic.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
This is a very soft clutch. That isn't going to change. I have been driving it for over 3 years on two different Jeeps and I still don't love it in first and in reverse.

But it is worth it to me to drive a manual again.

Not sure why they made it so soft though.
I completely agree the clutch is soft and you don't feel the "bite" like most other clutches I've driven. First is OK, reverse is terrible, but the experience is a blast. I haven't driven a manual truck transmission in 19 years, to hear it shift, and feel it lock in reminds me of being a teenager again. To the OP's question, it takes some getting used to.

I was going up a really silly incline and it started stalling and I was like "WTF?!?!?! I haven't stalled this in forever!" (I left the parking brake in a little to avoid rolling back and forgot to take it out before going up) :facepalm:.

I'm not taking anything away from the 8sp auto, it is a great transmission, but for me there is nothing like rowing a few gears to really connect with the machine.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I completely agree the clutch is soft and you don't feel the "bite" like most other clutches I've driven. First is OK, reverse is terrible, but the experience is a blast. I haven't driven a manual truck transmission in 19 years, to hear it shift, and feel it lock in reminds me of being a teenager again. To the OP's question, it takes some getting used to.

I was going up a really silly incline and it started stalling and I was like "WTF?!?!?! I haven't stalled this in forever!" (I left the parking brake in a little to avoid rolling back and forgot to take it out before going up) :facepalm:.

I'm not taking anything away from the 8sp auto, it is a great transmission, but for me there is nothing like rowing a few gears to really connect with the machine.
If you have a tazer you can use steering wheel controls to hold the brakes. I use this when doing steep obstacles.

Also 29,000 miles in and have enjoyed this clutch the whole time. Iā€™ve always had manual transmissions going back 21 years and also hold a commercial drivers license and drove over the road for a bit. I do love manuals

OP
OP
WashingtonWetWheeler

WashingtonWetWheeler

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' 6spd JLUR. UD60s & 40s
I am now fully convinced something is going on here. The Jeep will shift just fine on my commute to work and then shift terribly on the way home and vise versa. I had a forum member drive my Jeep yesterday and he said it felt fine and I agreed and shifted it just fine on that drive. Today it is terrible. Lurching even when I've fully engaged 1st let off the pedal and driven 100 ft in 1st gear. What could this possibly be? @Petey can you elaborate on your comment about torque curve?

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered an auto due to this. Felt like the manual was borderline un drivable.
Really really wanted a manual too. Love driving manuals. Except this one.
Sponsored