Terrible Clutch on Brand New JLUR Has Me Really Frustrated

LAWS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Silver JLUR
I have gotten used to the clutch pretty well, i just wish they did a better job with the gates on the transmission. The 2-3 up or 5-4 down feel bad. Not too much worse than the oft maligned trans in my my corolla that Ive had since new ever felt. That car eventually broke in nicely, but took probably 60k miles. I’m hoping the Jeep breaks in faster than that, as it cost more than double.

That said, The clutch is just weird in these jeeps, as anyone who Ive let drive it comments without provocation on how odd it feels, even if they don’t seem to struggle.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
His clutch feels normal to me. I still am not butter smooth from 1st to 2nd as @WashingtonWetWheeler will now attest.
To vouch to the clutch breaking in I had 4 straight slightly rough shifts after I hopped back in my JL. So the clutch will break in a bit and should be more comfortable.

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick
Hey guys,
I'm the proud owner of a new JLUR - Billet 3.6 6MT that I factory ordered back in May. I am over the moon on everything about my Jeep...with one glaring issue. This clutch is absolutely terrible. I have been driving manuals for 20+ years of all sorts and I've never had such issues as with this Jeep. 1 in 3 times I lurch when coming out of first, I feel like I'm threading a needle trying to find the sweet spot where I don't. The amount of pedal travel before the clutch engages is out of control. I'm seriously considering taking a multi thousand dollar hit and trading my beloved Billet Rubicon that I chose all the perfect options for me on. Just in order to make my drivability reasonable. I don't know the point of this thread other than to vent and ask for advice.
Look man I can understand completely what you mean I lived through it too. Stick with it. The clutch will loosen up after few Ks , it will never feel like VW but it will work fine. On the other hand at times I think I am
Jeep Wrangler JL Terrible Clutch on Brand New JLUR Has Me Really Frustrated Willys-Jeep-WW2-1600x1245
driving old Willys .

OP
OP
WashingtonWetWheeler

WashingtonWetWheeler

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' 6spd JLUR. UD60s & 40s
His clutch feels normal to me. I still am not butter smooth from 1st to 2nd as @WashingtonWetWheeler will now attest.
To vouch to the clutch breaking in I had 4 straight slightly rough shifts after I hopped back in my JL. So the clutch will break in a bit and should be more comfortable.
Thanks again for coming over and taking it for a spin. I appreciate you taking the time. 🍻

Sponsored

GreggNY

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR- Billet
Build Thread
Link
I definitely feel the same. I've had 3 JK's (all manuals) before this '21 JL and the clutch on this has little to no feel for me. I've gotten used to it and can drive it just fine, but it's far from what I'd consider 'good'. Maybe I'll try bleeding the lines too

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Hey guys,
I'm the proud owner of a new JLUR - Billet 3.6 6MT that I factory ordered back in May. I am over the moon on everything about my Jeep...with one glaring issue. This clutch is absolutely terrible. I have been driving manuals for 20+ years of all sorts and I've never had such issues as with this Jeep. 1 in 3 times I lurch when coming out of first, I feel like I'm threading a needle trying to find the sweet spot where I don't. The amount of pedal travel before the clutch engages is out of control. I'm seriously considering taking a multi thousand dollar hit and trading my beloved Billet Rubicon that I chose all the perfect options for me on. Just in order to make my drivability reasonable. I don't know the point of this thread other than to vent and ask for advice.
I’m sure you test drove a manual before ordering, correct? How did that one shift compared to the one you own and are struggling with? I was wary after reading so many complaints here so test drove a few and thought that they were all fine. 600 miles with my factory ordered 2 door manual and no surprises. It can be a challenge but I guess I like it that way. I agree with others, stick with it and it will break in and you’ll adapt.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
57,000 plus miles and have not had any lurching or issues. Yes, the clutch is softer than any of my previous 15 or so clutch's. But, thrilled! Retrain your clutch leg and you'll be fine

HelmsJeep

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2DR/Softop/Manual
Everyone saying you get used to it is spot on. But it’s kinda like getting used to spinach. As soon as I’m out of warranty I’ll replace it with an aftermarket.

Sponsored

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My clutch was tough, but about 2,000 miles I had it figured out and love it after the break-in.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
The throttle by wire plays into this too, as it's also touchy.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Every clutch is different, often even in same make and model.

I own a '21 JLR MT. While I enjoyed it from the start, I found that after about 500 miles of city and off road and then especially after 1,000 miles, the transmission and engine started to mesh better and allow smoother shifts; probably due to pure break in process. I also found that the 3.6, mine at least, seems to like shift points between 3K to 3.5K RPM, even higher.

Last edited:

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 6 pages deep into searching and still can't find any procedure for JL clutch bleed. Can you point me in the right direction?
Sorry for the wording of my post...the bleeding was done at the dealer as part of the first clutch recall.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Though I love manuals and have them on my sport scars, I quickly ruled out manual on the JK and JL after driving my friends Jeep. The shift quality (long lever travel, imprecise gates) and clutch engagement, didn't give me the same satisfaction as driving a manual sports car.

Having said that, the manual was perfectly functional and that crawl ratio in 1st gear 4LO was addicting. As others have said, you'll likely get used to it in short order - don't sell it.
Sponsored

Last edited: