WashingtonWetWheeler

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' 6spd JLUR. UD60s & 40s
Hey guys,
I'm the proud owner of a new JLUR - Billet 3.6 6MT that I factory ordered back in May. I am over the moon on everything about my Jeep...with one glaring issue. This clutch is absolutely terrible. I have been driving manuals for 20+ years of all sorts and I've never had such issues as with this Jeep. 1 in 3 times I lurch when coming out of first, I feel like I'm threading a needle trying to find the sweet spot where I don't. The amount of pedal travel before the clutch engages is out of control. I'm seriously considering taking a multi thousand dollar hit and trading my beloved Billet Rubicon that I chose all the perfect options for me on. Just in order to make my drivability reasonable. I don't know the point of this thread other than to vent and ask for advice.
Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
So sorry to hear that. The 8 speed auto is fantastic. I’ll never own a manual unless it’s in a sports car. Hope it breaks in or gets better for you someway somehow.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
It takes a while to get used to. I still have problems when I go drive my car then hop back in the Jeep and lurch it out of 1st. I think I was over 5k miles in before I was able to smoothly handle every start. Don’t sweat it, that first trail ride you’ll be in love again. I swear mine shifts better after a good thrashing in Rieter Pit with some rock crawling and 4Lo time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WashingtonWetWheeler

WashingtonWetWheeler

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It takes a while to get used to. I still have problems when I go drive my car then hop back in the Jeep and lurch it out of 1st. I think I was over 5k miles in before I was able to smoothly handle every start. Don’t sweat it, that first trail ride you’ll be in love again. I swear mine shifts better after a good thrashing in Rieter Pit with some rock crawling and 4Lo time.
Any chance we can meet up so that you can take mine for a spin and make sure it's acting the same as yours? I really don't think this is a getting used to it kind of deal but would love to have that validated.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I had similar issues with mine until I bled the clutch. Helped a lot. It's not like my old S2000 or my wife's Golf R, but significantly better than before.

Reactions: Zog

FINN 2.0

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR. 1979 Ford 150.
Any chance we can meet up so that you can take mine for a spin and make sure it's acting the same as yours? I really don't think this is a getting used to it kind of deal but would love to have that validated.
Hey guys,
I'm the proud owner of a new JLUR - Billet 3.6 6MT that I factory ordered back in May. I am over the moon on everything about my Jeep...with one glaring issue. This clutch is absolutely terrible. I have been driving manuals for 20+ years of all sorts and I've never had such issues as with this Jeep. 1 in 3 times I lurch when coming out of first, I feel like I'm threading a needle trying to find the sweet spot where I don't. The amount of pedal travel before the clutch engages is out of control. I'm seriously considering taking a multi thousand dollar hit and trading my beloved Billet Rubicon that I chose all the perfect options for me on. Just in order to make my drivability reasonable. I don't know the point of this thread other than to vent and ask for advice.
My old 2012 JK was like that. Taking off in first I had to synchro the clutch perfectly with the throttle to keep from killing the engine. I figured it was the "fly by wire" throttle causing the throttle to lag with no way to recover before killing the engine. When taking off up a hill I would have to slip the clutch to get going but got used to it so no big deal. I was going to try the Pedal Commander throttle controller but never got around to it.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Hey guys,
Well….atleast it isnt overheating and stranding you on side of the road. FCA had that issue with MY18 to 20 JLs, JLUs and JTs equipped with a manual. They had to do two TSBs for it before the issue was fixed last March.

Could have been worse, lol.

OP
OP
WashingtonWetWheeler

WashingtonWetWheeler

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had similar issues with mine until I bled the clutch. Helped a lot. It's not like my old S2000 or my wife's Golf R, but significantly better than before.
I'm 6 pages deep into searching and still can't find any procedure for JL clutch bleed. Can you point me in the right direction?

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
+1 on "You'll get used to it" I've been driving MT transmissions for 28 years and this one was the most difficult one to get used to. I do miss the old school NV3500 5-speed in my V-6 S-10, that has to be the best MT that I've ever driven, though my 2002 Civic does have 269K on it with the original clutch.

I'm still not overly enthralled with Reverse, but I just bump reverse in my garage and let gravity do the rest.

Last edited:

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
I too custom ordered a JLUR with the 6 speed 3.6 combo and had initi trouble adjusting to the clutch (been driving stick for 28yrs).

Then read up on the twin disc setup and figured it out. The 1st disc starts to grab a couple of inches of the floor then the 2nd disc grabs about .5 inch after that.

Once I figured it out I can start out at 1400rpm on a steep incline and not bog or stall out.

On green and blue offroad trails the setup has been bullet proof with no issues

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
It definitely took me some getting used to also! I kept telling my friends “I swear I really do know how to drive a manual!” Can’t tell you the # of jerky starts I had at times. It is a different touch compared to all the other manuals I’ve driven. I’ve got it broken in now (more likely it’s got me broken in to how it likes) and it’s smooth sailing. 52k now on it and just about 1.5 yrs old. I’d say stick with it.

OP
OP
WashingtonWetWheeler

WashingtonWetWheeler

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I too custom ordered a JLUR with the 6 speed 3.6 combo and had initi trouble adjusting to the clutch (been driving stick for 28yrs).

Then read up on the twin disc setup and figured it out. The 1st disc starts to grab a couple of inches of the floor then the 2nd disc grabs about .5 inch after that.

Once I figured it out I can start out at 1400rpm on a steep incline and not bog or stall out.

On green and blue offroad trails the setup has been bullet proof with no issues
What's the secret that you discovered after researching?