Sponsored

Terrible at shifting into 4L, it’s embarrassing.

RubiSlippers

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler …Maybe
Finally got to some off-road trails and learned quite a bit! There are some things I need to work on and the biggest surprise for me was getting her into 4L.

I honestly think I made some mistakes through the attempts and I cringe to think of potential damage I may have done? I put the Jeep into neutral, tried both rolling and stopped and would try to pull the gearbox into 4L and felt some struggle. A couple of times I was in neutral. Couple of times heard grinding into 4L. Had the system even alert me that I was going to fast into neutral when I inadvertently paused there. Didn’t help that my passenger was being dramatic while I was trying to focus.

is it easy to do damage to the gears if I’m struggling to get it into 4L? I want to practice this more, is it ok to shift into 4L on pavement then shift out not too long after?

Thanks all!
Sponsored

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
How fast do you think you were going when you got the alert?

Do you have any grass or gravel where you can practice?

OP
OP

RubiSlippers

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler …Maybe
How fast do you think you were going when you got the alert?

Do you have any grass or gravel where you can practice?
I was stopped or going 2-5 MPH in both cases.

I don’t have any areas that I’m aware of that I’m allowed to be there…but I’m sure I can eventually find some.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Put Jeep in drive, let off the brake. Once rolling, put Jeep into Neutral. Then firmly pull transfer case lever into 4L. It takes a little getting used to but it’s not too difficult once you get it. 1-3mph is all you need. 5mph is too fast.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RubiSlippers

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler …Maybe
Put Jeep in drive, let off the brake. Once rolling, put Jeep into Neutral. Then firmly pull transfer case lever into 4L. It takes a little getting used to but it’s not too difficult once you get it. 1-3mph is all you need. 5mph is too fast.
Think I damaged things?

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Think I damaged things?
I don’t think so. It’s normal to here a little gear mesh sometimes. But any gorilla can peel a banana. Just don’t use an inordinate amount of force it’s not necessary. Get a friend who has a jeep for a while and let him take you for a demonstration ride off road.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Think I damaged things?
Unlikely.

The drive train will be under a lot more stress bouncing through rock gardens or when spinning tire finds traction.

If you haven't been in low much it'll probably loosen up as your technique improves. Keep at it. Be assertive. Don't limp wrist it.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Think I damaged things?
HIghly doubt it, a little grind is just that a little grind. Kindof like when you miss a gear on a Manual the dog clutches grind against each other but they're designed to live through that. I have 270K on my 5MT Civic and I've ground a few gears (more than I'd like to admit) fast shifting it over the last 20 years.

TBH, this if my first Jeep and getting the transfer case to shift flawlessly took a few tries. I still occasionally get a little noise when I shift it into 4L.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RubiSlippers

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler …Maybe
Unlikely.

The drive train will be under a lot more stress bouncing through rock gardens or when spinning tire finds traction.

If you haven't been in low much it'll probably loosen up as your technique improves. Keep at it. Be assertive. Don't limp wrist it.
Thanks. I started being more forceful with it and then I got scared because I was feeling the struggle into 4L and then the grinding. Off-roading is new to me, my mechanic grandfather always told me to be gentle and careful with things so it goes against everything natural for me haha.

OP
OP

RubiSlippers

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler …Maybe
I still remember my first attempts to shift into 4L when I took my LJR for a test drive. I think the salesman was worried I was going to break it.

It's a rite of passage. Welcome to the club!
Thanks haha. It was making me sick hearing the grinding.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Also it will loosen up with use. Find some dirt and practice, practice, practice.

Also when you are going into 4L do not hesitate - from neutral right into 4L in a smooth and firm motion when coasting along at 1-3mph.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
What’s amazing is that it doesn’t have to be this way. I had a 4Runner for a while and its transfer case shifted like butter from day one. Absolutely beautiful and creamy and smooth.

Your experience is normal for a Jeep, however. And no, the odds that you hurt anything are extremely low.
Sponsored