Terrible 2.0 gas mileage?

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
Saw someone on FB today claiming they can "easily get upper 30's in mpg for hwy driving." Also claim to get upper 20's/low 30's during offroading. Their trip meters indicated their story has some validity, but I would have to put this as the rarest of the rare if accurate.
Sponsored

ogjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Wrangler Turbo 2 door Mojito
Saw someone on FB today claiming they can "easily get upper 30's in mpg for hwy driving." Also claim to get upper 20's/low 30's during offroading. Their trip meters indicated their story has some validity, but I would have to put this as the rarest of the rare if accurate.
That would be me. Never claimed to get upper 20's low 30s offroad. My point was that even with offroad driving mixed into my trip I still managed to have an overall average of 30mpg. I get single digits to low double digits offroad.
My post was highlighting the fact that if you hypermile you are able to achieve to pretty incredible results.
There is 100% Validity to my post. I have multiple pics from throughout my trips. When I focus solely on gas mileage. 30mpg average is very achievable. On the highway even better is attainable.
It's all about driving style and keeping your foot out of the pedal. Also keeping around 1500 rpms and utilizing that E torque. It take an incredible amount of self control and awareness. Constantly looking at the current mpg and staying out of the pedal. Feathering it to obtain and maintain speed.
People who claim they get poor gas mileage have poor driving habits. Fact.
I filled up my gas tank 14.5 gallons and drove 425 miles. Went from Vegas to La and had over a quarter tank left.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
That would be me. Never claimed to get upper 20's low 30s offroad. My point was that even with offroad driving mixed into my trip I still managed to have an overall average of 30mpg. I get single digits to low double digits offroad.
My post was highlighting the fact that if you hypermile you are able to achieve to pretty incredible results.
There is 100% Validity to my post. I have multiple pics from throughout my trips. When I focus solely on gas mileage. 30mpg average is very achievable. On the highway even better is attainable.
It's all about driving style and keeping your foot out of the pedal. Also keeping around 1500 rpms and utilizing that E torque. It take an incredible amount of self control and awareness. Constantly looking at the current mpg and staying out of the pedal. Feathering it to obtain and maintain speed.
I filled up my gas tank 14.5 gallons and drove 425 miles. Went from Vegas to La and had over a quarter tank left.
What model do you have? Gearing makes a huge difference, even with the 8 speed. 30mpg with the Rubicon for more than a few miles driving at 70 isn't going to happen. If you're doing 45 on flat country roads and hyper-miling, maybe?

ogjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Wrangler Turbo 2 door Mojito
What model do you have? Gearing makes a huge difference, even with the 8 speed. 30mpg with the Rubicon for more than a few miles driving at 70 isn't going to happen. If you're doing 45 on flat country roads and hyper-miling, maybe?
I have a Sport 2 door with I believe to be 3.45 gears. Stock all terrain tires. Anti slip rear axle. 2 inch lift. Its definitely attributed to the way the jeep is set up as well. 4.10's wont do this. Nor will larger tires. But I will find out soon enough as I have some big mods in store.

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
10AA2466-4CEE-4AE0-9343-D3D13DDC156E.jpeg
Just completed a 300 mile round trip. 24mpg overall average after trip but not sure what the actual highway mpg was. I was getting around 20mpg on Fuelly app before the trip. 93 octane - stock JLUR. I’m impressed so far and really like the 2.0.

Sponsored

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
We are currently averaging ~20 MPG in our 2.0 JLUS.

Got an almost-new set of JLUR springs and shocks. Will the additional 1" or so lift that the Rubi shocks/springs add affect the MPGs much? We were also looking at Rubi takeoff 17" wheels and KO2s, but seems like Rubi owners are reporting much lower mileage than Sport and Sahara owners.

What do you all think, is it 1) the higher ride height, 2) the bigger/heavier wheels and tires, or 3) the gearing of the Rubicons that is causing the greatest effect of lower mileage? Or all contributing relatively equally?

I'd like to go bigger, but not at a significant MPG hit. 91 octane here in So Cal is almost $4/gallon. Yeah I know, Wranglers were never meant to be hypermilers, but at the same time don't want to get the 13-14 our Pathfinder gets.

PEABUDY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR GRANITE CRYSTAL
Vehicle Showcase
We are currently averaging ~20 MPG in our 2.0 JLUS.

Got an almost-new set of JLUR springs and shocks. Will the additional 1" or so lift that the Rubi shocks/springs add affect the MPGs much? We were also looking at Rubi takeoff 17" wheels and KO2s, but seems like Rubi owners are reporting much lower mileage than Sport and Sahara owners.

What do you all think, is it 1) the higher ride height, 2) the bigger/heavier wheels and tires, or 3) the gearing of the Rubicons that is causing the greatest effect of lower mileage? Or all contributing relatively equally?

I'd like to go bigger, but not at a significant MPG hit. 91 octane here in So Cal is almost $4/gallon. Yeah I know, Wranglers were never meant to be hypermilers, but at the same time don't want to get the 13-14 our Pathfinder gets.
4.10 gearing is biggest reason

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
That sounds exhausting :( Maybe you get used to it... just couldn't do it myself. I don't have the patience. Rather spend the extra $20 each time to fill up.

mcknight_14

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
United States Air Force
My gas mileage has started to rise slowly as I learn to drive it more efficiently. I have 37's and 20x10 steel rims but my mpg has risen steadily the more I have driven it. I also realized that 91 octane fuel has made a positive impact. When I first got it I was getting 13.2 mpg now I am up to 16 mpg 2 weeks later. I never use cruise control unless I am going under 55 so most times I feather the pedal and only press down on it when I need to pick up momentum. I drive in the slow lane usually around 60 mph.

Sponsored

OR2BAJA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, F350
260 miles and a week old. 15.1mpg is what’s it’s showing on the dash. I am a little dissapointed but I am absolutely loving the rig. It is leaps and bounds better than my JKUR.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
260 miles and a week old. 15.1mpg is what’s it’s showing on the dash. I am a little dissapointed but I am absolutely loving the rig. It is leaps and bounds better than my JKUR.
Mine was similar and then around 1250 miles it rapidly picked up to around 17. I drive only in the city so I’m stop and go; however on a recent highway jaunt I was able to get 21.1 at 70mph @ sea level.

OR2BAJA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, F350
Mine was similar and then around 1250 miles it rapidly picked up to around 17. I drive only in the city so I’m stop and go; however on a recent highway jaunt I was able to get 21.1 at 70mph @ sea level.
Well that’s good to hear. I added 315/70r17 ko2’s which I am sure will have some effect to my mileage.

suzookus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
After a short mostly highway road trip (60 miles each way) to Uwharrie my avg gas mileage jumped from 17 to 20. I have not driven much on the highway so it was interesting to see the big bump in mpg. I’m headed to DC in a few weeks, I’ll be curious to see the average after a much longer highway drive.

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
My driving conditions are not conducive to good mileage: when I’m not climbing mountain roads or going too fast on the highway :blush:, I’m usually stuck in bumper-to-bumper city traffic.

Despite all that and my admittedly slightly heavy foot, I’m still getting 20 mpg. I could definitely see that getting to the mid-20s with milder driving all around (not gonna happen, though! :devil:). Very happy with my Turbo.
Sponsored