Sponsored

Terrible 2.0 gas mileage?

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
This thread has just convinced me not to trade in my 3.6 Manual for a 2.0 Auto, if people are really only seeing 13-17 MPG on a stock Jeep. 17 MPG I can live with in a Jeep that is lifted 3" and has 37" tires. Not so much on a stock Jeep.
Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
This thread has just convinced me not to trade in my 3.6 Manual for a 2.0 Auto, if people are really only seeing 13-17 MPG on a stock Jeep. 17 MPG I can live with in a Jeep that is lifted 3" and has 37" tires. Not so much on a stock Jeep.
Not typical.

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Heading to Iowa from Ky now I’m right at 20 average on the hwy. Saw 21 for a bit. 35’s, 4.56, winch, fully loaded, Rubicon suspension.
After putting 35s with the 4.10 I’m getting 18 from 20-21 I was getting before.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I'm consistently 21.5 around town, 24 on flat freeway @65mph. I can eek out 25 on flat freeway at 60mph. Stock 2.0t rubi with 4.10s and an Ursa Minor top.

Sponsored

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

For straight freeway at 70-75 it will hit 18-20, mixing in mostly city the worst tank has been 15.4 and just guessing that I’m probably more aggressive with the pedal than the average driver.

4:10’s stock 33’s with warn winch, LOD destroyer step rails that add 100+ lbs. plus 50 lbs of misc “just in case” stuff

My 2013 2 door Rubicon V6 with 3:73’s and stock 33’s averaged 14-15 mixed driving. And the 4 door 2.0 is more responsive and doesn’t work as hard to get to speed.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Time is money, I'm happy with my 17mpg at 85mph on the freeway.
Brother, I totally get it. I occasionally group camp/travel with folks and we have a standing agreement: get to the rest stop, get a table, and I'll be there before your first beer is done but not after. I enjoy relaxed driving, and live by the maxim that if I need to be driving fast I should have left earlier. In my younger years I owned a really spiffy R6, and several 1.0 liter cruisers, all capable of going way faster than I had any business going. Buried a few friends during that time, one of which a slow down/watch for bikes sign was erected here in Washington for. Cause of death: guy speeding on a gradual mountain pass curve, couldn't take the turn and drifted about a foot into the oncoming lane and hit my friend. He had no criminal record, a nice dad with a couple kids, just driving too fast. These days, I'm just in no damn hurry. I'm not a dick about it though - I stick in the slow lane except to pass (unlike the worst drivers imho who drive slow in the left).

Last edited:

AG’s ‘ 21 Jeep Wrangler

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
My new 2021 2.0 Turbo is giving me 18 mpg’s strictly city driving so far. Better than my V6 JK where I was getting 14.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Just drive what makes you happy If you care about mpg you bought the wrong vehicle.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Brother, I totally get it. I occasionally group camp/travel with folks and we have a standing agreement: get to the rest stop, get a table, and I'll be there before your first beer is done but not before. I enjoy relaxed driving, and live by the maxim that if I need to be driving fast I should have left earlier. In my younger years I owned a really spiffy R6, and several 1.0 liter cruisers, all capable of going way faster than I had any business going. Buried a few friends during that time, one of which a slow down/watch for bikes sign was erected here in Washington for. Cause of death: guy speeding on a gradual mountain pass curve, couldn't take the turn and drifted about a foot into the oncoming lane and hit my friend. He had no criminal record, a nice dad with a couple kids, just driving too fast. These days, I'm just in no damn hurry. I'm not a dick about it though - I stick in the slow lane except to pass (unlike the worst drivers imho who drive slow in the left).
As a life long commuter, avid road tripper, and Jeeper for 20+ years, I have probably spent more time behind the wheel than most truck drivers. I drive fast, but also pay attention and know the limits of my vehicles. Out here most freeway speed limits are 70-80mph. Some people act like 85mph is crazy fast, but many are the same ass holes driving 40+ through residential neighborhoods while texting. Across AZ, NV, and UT you'll get passed by semis pulling triples if you're under 80mph. I'd rather see the guy rolling 100mph paying attention than the guy cruising 65mph texting or worse the prius in the fast lane driving 50mph. I've pulled as high as 19mpg cruising down the coast at 55mph, and there is a time and a place for that. I averaged 9.5mpg with the jeep on the trailer on our last 2300+ mile road trip and had an average speed of 65mph(speeds as high as 90mph) when we were done. Sure I could have gotten 11-12mpg cruising 55mph, but at ~11 extra hours of the jeep on the trailer we would have lost an entire day of wheeling in the process.

Last edited:

jbharkjr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon
So had the local dealership perform a diagnostic on my 2020 2.0T Rubicon Recon with 1400 miles this morning. Of course, nothing was found. Recommended I wait until the first oil change. Fair enough, at least it has been documented.

One thing that I found odd and was curious about...When I took it in, it was in the low 14mpg range (according to Jeep). I reset this reading when I filled up on Saturday. I did not leave the Jeep therefore I know it did not drive or do anything which would have drastically changed the reading on the cluster (via normal driving). That being said, when I got back into the Jeep (they had it for right at one hour, with me in waiting room), the cluster read 21.4mpg. Just thought it was odd, not saying they did anything, just wondered what would've caused this change in mpg on cluster without it being driven.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Stock Rubicon, added winch and plate with 2.0 and averaged 22 on a trip to KC and then out to Colorado for 10 days. Driving mountain roads and trails... Love the turbo and often use manual to help slow (downshift) rather than riding the brakes.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I saw 15.8 avg 99% hwy today. I wonder is it’s the fuel trims to an extent because I’ve never even driven at 2300 ft yet in addition to the head wind. 65 mph was about as bad. Maybe 1 mpg better. I’ve never gotten less than 19.7 hwy before at 69-70 mph.

Gunsmith

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR Recon, 2000 BMW R1000RT
Occupation
Mostly retired gunsmith
I have a little over 22,000 miles on the Jeep now and am getting 19+ MPG around town very consistently with 37s. Very happy with the 2.0 turbo!
Sponsored