Terrible 2.0 gas mileage?

Kristian

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon/Recon
I'm in NYC, lots of traffic, stop and go, idling at lights, crawling on the highway and I can get as low as 11-12mpg. 22 city mpg my ass lol
Why are you idling at lights?

I'm born and raised New Yorker. That place was a nightmare in a car. It must be lighter now with everyone scared off the streets, empty office buildings and all? OT but I'm curious. How is it there these daze?

No vehicle I drove there in that stop and go ever got any mileage, and for a while I had a 427 Camaro 😎. Even here in LA, if I get into traffic on the freeway, my 2.0 mileage drops into the range you're getting. What EPA calls city driving isn't really city driving 🙄. What do you get on the highway at 60/65?
Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Why are you idling at lights?

I'm born and raised New Yorker. That place was a nightmare in a car. It must be lighter now with everyone scared off the streets, empty office buildings and all? OT but I'm curious. How is it there these daze?

No vehicle I drove there in that stop and go ever got any mileage, and for a while I had a 427 Camaro 😎. Even here in LA, if I get into traffic on the freeway, my 2.0 mileage drops into the range you're getting. What EPA calls city driving isn't really city driving 🙄. What do you get on the highway at 60/65?
i can get high 20’s at that speed

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

Sponsored

jbharkjr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon
@dustanner did you ever work out or find anything which made your mpg so low?

I have a 2020 Rubicon recon 2.0 turbo with etorque (completely stock) with 1400 miles and seems to avg low 14 mpg. This is with me running 93 gas, using cruise control, driving like an old lady on acceleration...

I didn't think much of it but it seems everyone else is knock on 20mpg and makes me concerned there's something going on with mine.

Just looking for info before I take it into dealership. Thanks!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur

I have a 2020 Rubicon recon 2.0 turbo with etorque (completely stock) with 1400 miles and seems to avg low 14 mpg. This is with me running 93 gas, using cruise control, driving like an old lady on acceleration...

I didn't think much of it but it seems everyone else is knock on 20mpg and makes me concerned there's something going on with mine.

Try running it aggressively for a few tanks. We average 16-17 mpg with a 2.5” lift, heavy 37” x-mt’s, winch and hi-lift on the front bumper, and ~250 lbs worth of tools, recovery gear, and air compressor that never leave the Jeep. We often run 80+ mph on the freeway and tend to drive on the more aggressive side. If I remember, mpg was worse before the 1st oil change, but that was 35k miles ago. I wouldn’t assume there’s anything wrong with it, get it fully broken in and see what happens.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

I think maybe the computer needs time and miles to average things out?

I had a 2-door 2.0T eTorque JLR. Bone stock. The mpg were 16-18mpg when new. MPG started averaging higher as I drove it more and more. My highest over a road trip with A/C blasting on a 90 degree day was probably 26-27 mph. That was not common. 22-23 was more the norm on a highway trip. My long term average over about 20K miles was about 21 mpg combined. It matters if your drivng on flat ground or hilly roads. And if you drive in a lot of stop and go traffic. I drive in a LOT of bumper-to-bumper traffic on dead flat roads.

I also notice better mpg in the summer with summer blend gas. Even with the A/C running. The A/C probably averages out the winter's extra warm up time.

I use premium gas and calculated by hand. The computer is about 1-1.5 mpg higher on average.

BillWorkbench

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-door Sport S (Stock)
Occupation
IT person
I have taken a couple trips to Irvine from Las Vegas., 300 miles. One trip with a head wind I got 23 with tail wind 27. I set the cruse at 75.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have taken a couple trips to Irvine from Las Vegas., 300 miles. One trip with a head wind I got 23 with tail wind 27. I set the cruse at 75.
I'd say that is about par for the course on dead flat for a bone stock 2.0T. That reflects my findings anyway.

Sponsored

jbharkjr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Maybe I should take a trip and get some consistent highway miles on her?

Do yall ever reset the MPG gauge? I'm just trying to gather why I'm so low and where an additional 30ish% is going to come from. I sincerely do not think my bonestock Rubicon would get 20+mpg, even hwy. I bought the car about an 1-1.5 hour away and was not pulling anything near that on the ride home.

And if it is just a new vehicle thing, and it'll improve, cool. But I see others with half my miles and pulling near 20mpg.

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Rubicon 2.0
I have a 2018 JLU Rubi with 28k miles. I live in SW Ohio around 1100’ above sea level. I have tried both 87 and 93 octane in 1500 mile intervals or about 5 fill ups. In mixed driving I get about 19 1/2 miles a gallon with premium and just over 18 with 87. On long highway trips that are 90% plus highway, I get about 23 with 87 and 25 with premium. I have tried several different gas brands including BP, Shell, Sam’s, Costco, and speedway. I also think the region you live in probably has a little bit to do with it as certain areas require more or less additives than others which can effect mpg performance. The Rubi is bone stock and has steel bumpers. Interestingly enough and an added bonus is I actually get 20 miles a gallon with the top completely off in mixed driving what’s 87 octane. There is a slight acceleration benefit to the 91 when using it in the summer. For me in this area, I do not see any benefit in paying $.40-$.60 more a gallon for a mile to a mile and a half more per gallon. Good luck and enjoy your Jeep!
7/22/2021 Update

I’m now just over 33k miles and have added a SB winch, SB storage vault in the rear, Fox 2.0 PS shocks, steering stabilizer, Mishimoto CA Intake, and Borla Climber Touring Exhaust. It has about 100 lbs of gear in it. I still get between 18 and 19 MPG overall with mixed driving and about 23 MPG highway. I use ESS as it has added 1 MPG in use compared to when it is off. Using 93 adds 1.5 MPG but isn’t worth the cost when doing the math.

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Rubicon 2.0
Maybe I should take a trip and get some consistent highway miles on her?

Do yall ever reset the MPG gauge? I'm just trying to gather why I'm so low and where an additional 30ish% is going to come from. I sincerely do not think my bonestock Rubicon would get 20+mpg, even hwy. I bought the car about an 1-1.5 hour away and was not pulling anything near that on the ride home.

And if it is just a new vehicle thing, and it'll improve, cool. But I see others with half my miles and pulling near 20mpg.
I reset ever fill up. It seems to be pretty accurate, but slightly under what I actually get. It also did get better as I go. I keep The tires at 37 psi and change the oil every 4000 miles. No clue if the oil change actually does anything, but I do want the engine to last since there is not a lot of history yet with the 2.0‘s.

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
For me, using it (stock '19 JLUR) mostly for a DD and running a few trails last summer throughout Colorado, I was at 23.5 MPG for my average after 28,000 miles. My best average was a long trip back from Ouray, probably going downhill, with a tailwind, when I hit over 28. Didn't drive too crazy but never drove overly conservative either. I was pretty happy with it. Range was about 430 miles on a tank IIRC. Just traded it in the other day for '21 4xe.

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I have had the roof and doors off for the past two months and my mileage has dropped a couple mpg.
On my daily commute im getting low 15’s. Its half freeway at 70-80mph with a 2000’ pass and half in town 40-55mph with a 1000’ pass.
40psi in the stock Firestone MT’s.
Sponsored