Terrible 2.0 gas mileage?

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Winter-blend gas negatively impacts fuel economy too.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Honestly, I think that sounds a bit suspect. I have the 3.6, and do mostly city driving when the engine is cold. That results in an average of about 16.8 mpg. That said, my mpg will go up when driving 75 on the highway and going up 6000 feet. One thing I have definitely learned though, how you accelerate and decelerate makes a huge difference. If you speed off the line at lights and are the type to stay on the gas all the way to a red light, you're just wasting gas and not saving much time.
But I just put the new Flowmaster cat back system on and it sounds so good. Lol.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Get it checked out. I have a 2019 JL Sport S 2-door with the 4 cyl turbo and have averaged 22-23 mpg over 2600 miles. My driving is a mix of city/highway in NYC so traffic is part of my daily drive. I have a heavy foot when the roads do clear up so I think I can probably get better mileage if I tried. I just put on bigger heavier wheels/tires so it will probably drop to 20-21 but 13 is way too low for a new JL turbo.
It's a 4 door Rubicon that he freely admits to driving 85+. His mpg doesn't surprise me at all.

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
I have a JLURT with 4,500 miles and with mostly all city driving I average 20 to 21 mpg. I got up to 24- 25mpg on the hwy with speed between 55 to 60mph and get 21-22 mpg at 65-70mph. My first tank of gas I got 16.5 mpg and it got increasingly better with every tank.

Something is off.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Anyone who gets a Wrangler (or Benz G-Wagon, or any other square box on wheels) for the fuel economy is barking up the wrong tree.
Why are comments such as this so prevalent on these forums? Is it the sort of "If ya don it, git out" approach taken should someone criticize something in America?
Why is unreasonable to complain that a vehicle's fuel economy is significantly different than what it is one the sticker? Why is it not reasonable to ask other people what their experience is.
Seems a very strange attitude for a forum build around discussions of vehicles.
It's basically all the Jeep forums, not just here. I just don't understand when y'all get so triggered about it.

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
The moment that turbo spools, your fuel savings is gone. Turbo's are not great for mileage, they're only good when they're not on.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Why are comments such as this so prevalent on these forums? Is it the sort of "If ya don it, git out" approach taken should someone criticize something in America?
Why is unreasonable to complain that a vehicle's fuel economy is significantly different than what it is one the sticker? Why is it not reasonable to ask other people what their experience is.
Seems a very strange attitude for a forum build around discussions of vehicles.
It's basically all the Jeep forums, not just here. I just don't understand when y'all get so triggered about it.
Take your Jeep out on the Autobahn at 140+ kph and let us know what your fuel economy is. I'm genuinely curious. Of course I think you do have a different bumper which would effect aerodynamics.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Take your Jeep out on the Autobahn at 140+ kph and let us know what your fuel economy is.
Why would I want to do that? The Jeep is certainly not made for high speed driving. I had my JK once at 95mph and it seemed it could fly apart at any moment. Not to mention, the front end was very light at that speed.

BTW; While there are unrestricted areas of the autobahn, much is actually limited between 100-130KPH. 120 is typical in my area which is about 75 MPH. On my work drive, there is no unrestricted sections. Not that it would matter. Traffic is typically so bad that you would never have a good run.

In the US, I normally only drove my JK (2015) with about 65 MPH. I would get about 19 MPG. That Jeep cost be about 200$ every 2 weeks in gas.
I am still awaiting of my diesel jl rubicon. I really considered the 2.0T as well, but we don't have the mild hybrid part here, so you lose the main benefit to taking that engine, in my opinion.
Seems most folks return about 21 MPG with the 2.2 Diesel. As I do not drive with a heavy foot, I would also be complaining I was returning significantly less than that.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Why would I want to do that? The Jeep is certainly not made for high speed driving. I had my JK once at 95mph and it seemed it could fly apart at any moment. Not to mention, the front end was very light at that speed.

BTW; While there are unrestricted areas of the autobahn, much is actually limited between 100-130KPH. 120 is typical in my area which is about 75 MPH. On my work drive, there is no unrestricted sections. Not that it would matter. Traffic is typically so bad that you would never have a good run.

In the US, I normally only drove my JK (2015) with about 65 MPH. I would get about 19 MPG. That Jeep cost be about 200$ every 2 weeks in gas.
I am still awaiting of my diesel jl rubicon. I really considered the 2.0T as well, but we don't have the mild hybrid part here, so you lose the main benefit to taking that engine, in my opinion.
Seems most folks return about 21 MPG with the 2.2 Diesel. As I do not drive with a heavy foot, I would also be complaining I was returning significantly less than that.
I know the Autobahn well. I was stationed in Germany! I think people were saying that to the OP because he said he regularly drives 75-80 mph. I personally just set my cruise at whatever the speed limit is.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Somewhat heavy. 75-80 on the highway and some “turbo use” but nothing that I’d expect to impact the mpg this much.
I have the 3.6, but I will say this. Last weekend I drove across Alligator Alley (75 miles of straight flat road), I set the cruise at 78, and watch my computer MPG drop to 15.3, I'd bee usually around 18's in my daily driving.

On the return trip I set it the cruise to 74, and achieved 17.1 on the return. So, anything over 75 in this brick is a major drop.

Sponsored

yell03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I agree with everyone...

I have a 2018 Ford Raptor and a 2018 JLUR with 3.6 on 35s.

With both vehicles, if I drive 55-60 it will get 16-18mpg on the highway, the minute I go to over 65 it drops a bit and 75mph I am in the 14s with both. it is like driving the front of a barn through the wind.

My Jaguar F type V8S will do 25-28mpg on the highway at any speed.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I have a 2018 JLUR, 2.0 with stock suspension and tires, steel bumpers, and winch(just added less than 100 miles ago)

After 1300 miles, ~600 highway the rest city, I’m averaging 13.4 MPG! (calculated by the Jeep) One of the main reasons I chose the 2.0 was for the fuel economy but this seems like a 3.6L average. No, I didn’t expect the stickered 22-24 but I did expect it to be in the high teens and maybe over 20 on the highway.

What are you averaging? Thanks!
Par for the course with the tiny turbo engines. You're not alone, other automakers are seeing the same thing. There've been countless articles written in the media about Ford's little EcoBust engines and how they do not achieve the promised fuel economy.

Power = air+fuel. Displacement doesn't matter. It takes X amount of fuel to make Y amount of power.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
I have a 2018 Ford Raptor
How do you like it? I assume you mean the F150 version? We can get the Ranger raptor here, but not F150 at all. Too big for our roads in any case. The Ranger I think is a 2.2L Bi-Turbo which is supposed to be cracking engine.

Don't have a F Type, but our Jag XF sportbrake returns about 45 MPG on the highway. My wife is pushing for a convertible F-Type.

USNJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 95 YJ
I can't speak for the rubi since I only have a sahara, but I average about 21-22 with the evic display. I'm currently on 2.5" of lift, 35" Milestars, with a stubby front bumper and winch. Gas mileage on the 2.0L drops significantly between 70-75. Everything has been calibrated for the larger tires and my speedo is correct. High speed in these rigs really affect mileage but 13 seems low even with the 4.10 gears vs. stock sahara gearing. I would folow the suggestions and maybe reset the TCM and go from there. I drive it like I stole it but still manage good mileage.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
I think people were saying that to the OP because he said he regularly drives 75-80 mph.
I get the argument that one should not expect close to the ideal MPG if you are driving that fast. I think they use a speed of like 52 MPH or something like that.
But what is often commented is that if you care about MPG then go buy this or that car, which, in my opinion is a nonsense comment and certainly adds nothing to the discussion. I think if you drive in a reasonable manor, with a unmodified Wrangler, it is reasonable to expect something at least approaching the claimed economy.
If you take the extremes: Some people said they only got like 14 MPG, while I have seen some people claiming 23. I have my doubts on that, but anyhow.
If you take a gas price of 3$ and then assume you own the Jeep for 75K miles, that's $10200 over those miles. So, it's not chump change. Of course, here, the difference would be almost double due to the cost of diesel vs gas.
Sponsored