Terrible 2.0 gas mileage?

OnThRcks

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
No, I have a 2.0 also, stock suspension and tires. I get 22-23 depending on how heavy my foot is. I use 91 octane. I average 60-65 mph on my commute.
Sponsored

Reactions: VNT

OnThRcks

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Anyone who gets a Wrangler (or Benz G-Wagon, or any other square box on wheels) for the fuel economy is barking up the wrong tree. With that being said 60-65mph seems to be the sweet spot for a Wrangler in regards to speed/mpg tradeoffs.

If mpg is more important than other factors perhaps a different vehicle in for you, nothing personal or insulting. There are loads of 5 seater SUVs engineered for much better fuel economy. For the really serious about mpg there are the electrics like the new Jag iPace (about 75mpg-e) or the upcoming 5 seater Tesla Model Y (guess about 90-100mpg-e) although the Jag is more money and the Tesla hasn’t released pricing or availability yet.

This is not a helpful response, I wish people would stop saying something along these lines. This person has owned a Jeep before, I am sure they knew they weren't buying it for the fuel mileage.

Let's be real though, 13.4 MPG is WAY below what it should be.

No, that's not normal.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
rocks

Where abouts in Maine

I have a Sahara and Rubicon and 3.6A and get about 22sh on both

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
There’s better mpg vehicles but I’d rather have the mileage and the range that comes with it than not…even with my mpg harming mods. I was at 26 hwy with the 2.0 auto. Now I’m at 20 after mods. I’ll be carrying Rotopax fuel containers to help offset that loss.

That 20 mpg average hwy is STILL better than my wife’s bone stock ‘21 Rubicon 3.6 auto on the hwy sadly. She’s at 19.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
This is not a helpful response, I wish people would stop saying something along these lines. This person has owned a Jeep before, I am sure they knew they weren't buying it for the fuel mileage.

No, that's not normal.
There are far too many variables when it comes to fuel economy to determine a "normal". We have never seen better than 19mpg even in the year the jeep was stock. The wife's daily commute is 17 miles each way of country highway. It's flat, but there's probably a dozen stop signs and 5 traffic lights along the way. That is a whole lot of 0-65-0 over and over. Very little steady speed cruising. I think the worst we've seen was in the 14mpg range, but that was with a lot of time wheeling up steep terrain. The op has a brand new rig that isn't even broken in yet. I'd hardly say his fuel economy is so bad that his Jeep must be broken. I don't think it's a case of "you bought a Jeep, don't worry about fuel economy", but more a case of get past the 1st oil change, or at least more than 4 tanks of fuel before you get overly concerned about it.

Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR

No, that's not normal.
Agreed. Every Jeep I've owned averaged at least 17, even with 35s.

I mean, what if he was getting 5 mpg? Would people still say "It's a Jeep thing?" At some point, mpg is an indicator that there's something wrong.

OnThRcks

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
There are far too many variables when it comes to fuel economy to determine a "normal". We have never seen better than 19mpg even in the year the jeep was stock. The wife's daily commute is 17 miles each way of country highway. It's flat, but there's probably a dozen stop signs and 5 traffic lights along the way. That is a whole lot of 0-65-0 over and over. Very little steady speed cruising. I think the worst we've seen was in the 14mpg range, but that was with a lot of time wheeling up steep terrain. The op has a brand new rig that isn't even broken in yet. I'd hardly say his fuel economy is so bad that his Jeep must be broken. I don't think it's a case of "you bought a Jeep, don't worry about fuel economy", but more a case of get past the 1st oil change, or at least more than 4 tanks of fuel before you get overly concerned about it.
Semantics, normal, average, whatever.

I have a brand new rig, hasn't had an oil change yet and I have never had gas mileage that bad. The guy came here for an opinion, I'm giving my opinion based on having the same rig with the same engine.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Semantics, normal, average, whatever.

I have a brand new rig, hasn't had an oil change yet and I have never had gas mileage that bad. The guy came here for an opinion, I'm giving my opinion based on having the same rig with the same engine.
Agreed, but everyone's experience, driving style, etc varies. I've seen similar mpg numbers to the OP's, 30k miles ago. Has my rig been broken this entire time? Is it driving style? Extra weight? Driving conditions? It's not 5 mpg and clearly something wrong, it's 13-14 and only 2-3 bellow what many of us average all the time.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Maybe I should take a trip and get some consistent highway miles on her?

Do yall ever reset the MPG gauge? I'm just trying to gather why I'm so low and where an additional 30ish% is going to come from. I sincerely do not think my bonestock Rubicon would get 20+mpg, even hwy. I bought the car about an 1-1.5 hour away and was not pulling anything near that on the ride home.

And if it is just a new vehicle thing, and it'll improve, cool. But I see others with half my miles and pulling near 20mpg.
Your computer mpg average will definitely go up if you reset and take a long highway trip. I would do a hand calculation after recording how much gas you actually fill up.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
There’s better mpg vehicles but I’d rather have the mileage and the range that comes with it than not…even with my mpg harming mods. I was at 26 hwy with the 2.0 auto. Now I’m at 20 after mods. I’ll be carrying Rotopax fuel containers to help offset that loss.

That 20 mpg average hwy is STILL better than my wife’s bone stock ‘21 Rubicon 3.6 auto on the hwy sadly. She’s at 19.
20 mpg is still pretty good. That's about a stock Rubi 2.0. I suspect its because stock Rubicon with its gears and extra height will get less than a stock Sahara. On average apples to apples.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
20 mpg is still pretty good. That's about a stock Rubi 2.0. I suspect its because stock Rubicon with its gears and extra height will get less than a stock Sahara. On average apples to apples.
The Sahara is taller as it sits with the Rubicon suspension& 3/4” spacer up front, Synergy 1” springs out back, and on 35’s. It has 4.56’s too. That vs a bone stock Rubicon with 3.6 looks pretty good against it. lol

gunderfunk

First Name
Gunderfunk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Sahara Unlimited XL
The best I have seen on our 2020 Sahara Unlimited, with 35's is 16.9mpg. That was a tank on the interstate at 70mph babying it all buttoned up with the AC on. Normally running city/highway top on top off hangs solid right at 15.5mpg.

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Im getting 15.7 currently- mainly city driving the past month.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Heading to Iowa from Ky now I’m right at 20 average on the hwy. Saw 21 for a bit. 35’s, 4.56, winch, fully loaded, Rubicon suspension.
Sponsored