Terrible 2.0 gas mileage?

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I picked up a 2021 JLU last Halloween. I've been daily driving it with a mix of highway and city miles and I'm averaging about 19-19.3mpg. (FWIW I always fill up with 91 octane.) I've realized that auto-starting the engine in cold temps causes the MPGs to drop drastically.
Sponsored

JackA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; Nacho
Vehicle Showcase
In a consumer notice, the Federal Trade Commission, notes: “In most cases, using a higher-octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner.”Jan 11, 2020

Then, read this Car & Driver evaluation: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

Gasoline is Gasoline. Premium means additional additives for anti-knock (higher octane rating) and detergents for cleaning fuel injectors and valve seats. The Car & Driver "differences" when noted are minuscule and go both in favor of premium and some in favor of regular. They are likely the result of not being able to duplicate the exact same conditions in both tests.

Page 432 of the 2021 Wrangler Owner's Manual (concerning the 3.6L engine) states:
"This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “Regular” gasoline having an octane
rating of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of higher octane “Premium” gasoline will not provide any benefit over “Regular” gasoline in these engines."

Concerning the 2.0L T: This engine is designed to meet all emission requirements, and provide
satisfactory fuel economy and performance, when using high-quality unleaded “regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87, as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of 91 or higher octane
“premium” gasoline will allow these engines to operate to optimal performance. This increase
in performance is most noticeable in hot weather or other heavier load conditions, such
as while towing."
Why; because the higher octane will prevent pre-ignition that this engine might experience when under higher loads.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Turbo charged engines only machine good milage when off boost.
With wrangler that would be crusing at 60-65 mph.
Acceleration and highway at 75, you are in boost and will see same or lower mileage compared to v6.

Unless you drive like grandma, then it possible to accelerate off boost.

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Turbo charged engines only machine good milage when off boost.
With wrangler that would be crusing at 60-65 mph.
Acceleration and highway at 75, you are in boost and will see same or lower mileage compared to v6.

Unless you drive like grandma, then it possible to accelerate off boost.
Grandma needs to stay in the slow lane and we wont have no trouble. Maybe grandma can check her mirrors and pullover to let the drivers pass when on single lane roads too.

JGlanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JLURXR, Outback
Occupation
Dog trainer
I just did an 800 mile trip in a 2.0 JLU Rubicon trip to Death Valley. Averaged 23 mpg. Mix of highway, back roads, and about 60 miles of off-roading.

The first half-day had me concerned because I only got 18.5 mpg. But that was the uphill part of the journey. It evened out after that.

Sponsored

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Rubicon 2.0
I have a 2018 JLU Rubi with 28k miles. I live in SW Ohio around 1100’ above sea level. I have tried both 87 and 93 octane in 1500 mile intervals or about 5 fill ups. In mixed driving I get about 19 1/2 miles a gallon with premium and just over 18 with 87. On long highway trips that are 90% plus highway, I get about 23 with 87 and 25 with premium. I have tried several different gas brands including BP, Shell, Sam’s, Costco, and speedway. I also think the region you live in probably has a little bit to do with it as certain areas require more or less additives than others which can effect mpg performance. The Rubi is bone stock and has steel bumpers. Interestingly enough and an added bonus is I actually get 20 miles a gallon with the top completely off in mixed driving what’s 87 octane. There is a slight acceleration benefit to the 91 when using it in the summer. For me in this area, I do not see any benefit in paying $.40-$.60 more a gallon for a mile to a mile and a half more per gallon. Good luck and enjoy your Jeep!

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I tried lower octane and got knock, so from now on 91-93 octane. worst tank yet 19.3mpg best 24 both of which were combined hy-way and backroads

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I just turned over 500 miles on my new JL80th with the 2.0 and the mileage on the dash shows a 23.0mpg average. I featherfoot it, mainly because I think I should take it easy during the first 1000 miles. Still, that figure pleases me. I have noticed that hwy mileage drops dramatically at speeds over 65.

MIke Honcho

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara 2.0T
I picked up my bone stock 2019 Sahara 2.0T 2 days ago in Cincinnati and drove it straight home to Atlanta with the cruise control set to around 75MPH. Averaged 22.6 MPG for the trip.

Sponsored

Kristian

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon/Recon
2020 Rubi 2.0 turbo. 17" AT's. About 14 around town on CA 91 octane gas. 21 highway 60/65 mph. What blew me away was my mileage on my first 4wd trip. Some Cali drivers may know the one. Ballarat to Death Valley: Goler Cyn, Mengel pass. Got 18 mpg, lots of 4L. Outstanding in my book. Happy camper here.

Fast on the highway with WWII aerodynamics? Not so good. Mine starts feeling a bit squirrelly much faster than that anyway. 75 isn't fun. Maybe the wheels/tires. I'm spoiled on handling anyway. Just sold a 718 Porsche that was sitting in the garage doing a lousy imitation of cash, working from home and all that...;)

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I have a 2018 JLUR, 2.0 with stock suspension and tires, steel bumpers, and winch(just added less than 100 miles ago)

After 1300 miles, ~600 highway the rest city, I’m averaging 13.4 MPG! (calculated by the Jeep) One of the main reasons I chose the 2.0 was for the fuel economy but this seems like a 3.6L average. No, I didn’t expect the stickered 22-24 but I did expect it to be in the high teens and maybe over 20 on the highway.

What are you averaging? Thanks!
I'm in NYC, lots of traffic, stop and go, idling at lights, crawling on the highway and I can get as low as 11-12mpg. 22 city mpg my ass lol

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T
With 89 octane I get 18 to 19 MPG total avg, 20-22 on the highway on 37's with 4.10 gears and a 2.5" lift. I'm pretty happy. I have a Tazer mini and throttle controller too.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
With 89 octane I get 18 to 19 MPG total avg, 20-22 on the highway on 37's with 4.10 gears and a 2.5" lift. I'm pretty happy. I have a Tazer mini and throttle controller too.
That's about where I'm sitting now with the wife's 2 dr JLR -- 2500 miles into ownership, but with stock tires. No tazer/pedal commander. In fairness, it's dropped significantly since it got hot out and ESS no longer works since cabin is always cooling and city driving has increased. Prior I was getting 22-23 avg.