Sponsored

Terrible 2.0 gas mileage?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Something to consider depending on where you live is winter fuel formulas can have as much 10% ethanol or more, which can cause a reduction in mpg.
Chicago is in the corn-belt so ethanol in our gas. I noticed my mpg dropping 3-4 mpg with the winter-blend gas. I have seen as low as 15mpg in the winter. Usually I am around 18-20mpg 80% city. Actually it's probably has to do with spending more time and gas warming up also. It's a significant drop no matter what in the winter.
Sponsored

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Something to consider depending on where you live is winter fuel formulas can have as much 10% ethanol or more, which can cause a reduction in mpg.
Here in the midwest corn-belt it is common to have 10% ethanol year around.

estankie

First Name
Eddie S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Occupation
Community Health RN
285 replies to this thread and wondering if i’m the only one scratching my head re fuel efficiency in a JEEP?? why the near obsession w this? it would be like buying a corvette and complaining there’s no room in the back seat. is it discussion just for the sake of filling space? shouldn’t we be talking about tires and lifts and doors and hardtops, etc exclusively?? if mpg’s are an issue buy a tesla!!! lol!!

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I'm happy with the fuel mileage from my 2.0T e-torque. Typical around town driving gives me 20 mpg in the JL, whereas prior JKs, TJs, YJs, and CJs were doing good to get 12 to 14 mpg. Most highway driving gives me 22 to 24 mpg. But sometimes I have days that give me truly great gas mileage, like yesterday. I took a trip from the town where I live to Gunlock, UT, which is about 80 miles of what are usually 65 mph two lane roads. But it was snowing yesterday, and the roads were snow packed, so I could only drive about 55 mph in order to be safe. I also had to drive super cautiously, being really careful with any application of throttle, or letting off of the throttle, to avoid making the tires slip. Well, driving this way also apparently gets you much better gas mileage. I reset my trip meter when I left home, and here is what my dash computer said my average gas mileage had been in the previous 80 miles when I arrived in Gunlock.
JL 2.0T e-torque.png

The picture was taken after I topped off the tank, and before I left the gas station to go do some Jeeping. When I topped off the tank it would only take 1.1 gallons of gas, despite trying multiple times to get it to take more. I think the gas pump in this one horse town had a problem, and that the auto shutoff was way too sensitive. I did not go by the hand calculated gas mileage because of that reason.

Sponsored

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
285 replies to this thread and wondering if i’m the only one scratching my head re fuel efficiency in a JEEP?? why the near obsession w this? it would be like buying a corvette and complaining there’s no room in the back seat. is it discussion just for the sake of filling space? shouldn’t we be talking about tires and lifts and doors and hardtops, etc exclusively?? if mpg’s are an issue buy a tesla!!! lol!!
Do you really have nothing better to do than criticize other people? You must be terrific fun to be around.
290 posts, Obviously a bunch of us care. You don't need to understand why. This is a free land and it is 2020, we don't need to justify our choices to people like you any more. Dont like it? Go be angry somewhere else. Maybe Venezuela, they love telling people what to think there.

estankie

First Name
Eddie S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Occupation
Community Health RN
Do you really have nothing better to do than criticize other people? You must be terrific fun to be around.
290 posts, Obviously a bunch of us care. You don't need to understand why. This is a free land and it is 2020, we don't need to justify our choices to people like you any more. Dont like it? Go be angry somewhere else. Maybe Venezuela, they love telling people what to think there.
ezzzzzz eric! you just exhausted a lot of txting criticizing me! don’t misunderstand an inquiry for anger...you’re in ca, right? jump in your rig, put the top down, take the doors off (if your mom lets you!), find a beach and go have some fun! and for heavens sake...DO NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR MPGs!!

Milk Money

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S (previously 2008 JKU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sport)
Occupation
Engineer at GM
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting 23.5 in my 2.0L JLUS. Stock tires back on (kicked the Mud Terrains to the curb for winter). Drive about 75mph on Highway 50+ miles/day and fill up with 10% ethanol 87 octane fuel. No issues with fuel economy.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Has anyone else noticed a mileage difference between asphalt & concrete? My JLR seems to get significantly better instant mileage on a concrete freeway vs asphalt 2-lane road. It's either the surface difference, or the Jeep is doing some minor drafting off other cars.

Sponsored

Bsek23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 wrangler JL
Occupation
Quality Control inspector
I have a 2018 two door when it was stock I would get 24mpg after 3” lift, and 33 inch tires I went down to 21mpg 22mpg and now I added blow off valve and S&B cold air intake I’m getting between 19 and 21 (21mpg is driving at 65 70 easy no hard foot) but mainly I get 19mpg because i love how it sounds now when you floor it and this is my daily.

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
So far with just over 400 miles on the odo, I'm getting 18.4mpg. That includes trips into town and back to home up 1.200 ft of switchbacks. I haven't even driven on a highway yet.

mrjking2000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 Hurricane
now that i'm basically at 5000 miles (not daily driven) i've noticed this engine really loosen up. MPG has gone up dramatically the last 4 tanks, and i pulled my best tank yet in february. i didn't buy this for fuel economy, and it's horrendous in the wind. but on a nice colorado day i'm seeing 17-20 around town, and by the time i fill up it's usually 15-17 ish.

i have 35s on a mopar 2 inch dealer lift, and of course the 2.0 I4...

i don't care what it gets, but i do track it. helps to have a baseline on your rig in case something dramatically changes, then you'd know you have a problem to track down.

Capture.PNG

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
2,700 miles, stock everything, firestone destination tires mt tires.
Ive pulled off the top and doors and am down to 13 mpg but i have been running 80mph on the freeway for half of my commute.
Hoping it gets better at 5k.
Sponsored