Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I don't have any Kicker experience but been a long long time fan of Kenwood for mobile audio gear . Never disappointed me. The Excelon series is great quality.

I recently installed a head unit in our RV. DNR1007XR... blew me away with features, sound, and screen not to mention quality fit. Always have experienced this with Kenwood. Jeez... I sound like a salesman for them. I guess I'm just saying don't shy away for a few more dollars.
Sponsored

jaysmooth24

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL
So I got the alpine upgrade from stock, it’s not bad but could be improved. I installed the TAs and I have to say, I do not notice much of a difference. I have a Stinger Heigh10 installed also and I listen to my music via apple carplay wifi with Spotify so all those things could factor in. I have tweaked the settings based off of the recommendations from the TA folks, the emphasize that this will not boost your audio performance, just “clean” it up if that makes sense. My sound does sound really clean and clear and no distortion but again, not a difference where I’m “blown away”. Hope that helps.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Upgrade recommendations vary depending on if you're upgrading a base system or Alpine system. Here's a whole system upgrade for base systems for not much more money than the Terra Acoustics speakers.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/base-system-speaker-upgrade.75015/
This upgrade provides a good balance of frequency reproduction from highs to lows, good separation and sufficient volume due to the efficiency of the speakers.

Evergreen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander, 21 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Autonomous Vehicles
Tough call, from a specs perspective, I like that the Kenwood's have a 1" tweeter instead of the 1/2" on the kicker. But I like that the Kicker's are a little more sensitive so they'll play louder at 88db vs 83db test @ 1watt rating. Cruthfield has some weird listen to the speakers comparison tool on their website, could be intersting to try out. You pick your headphones and then it tries to replicate the sonic characteristics of the speakers it claims.
Awesome I didn’t know they had that!!

Sponsored

snapper692

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU)
I have the SSUK, got in on their initial release.....So I've had them for awhile now. I can't compare them to anything other than the stock alpine 8.4 system, but they are a great upgrade over stock. The install on them is a breeze, and they look good, but weather or not they're worth the extra cost over the kickers or infinities, I couldn't tell you. They are 7ohm speakers, and that initially concerned me, but I haven't had any loss of loudness or any issues hearing them with the top off.

I'm getting ready to do something with the soundbar, so I'm in the 'what speakers to get' delima with that now.....lol!

Last edited:

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Thanks for chiming in, that is good feedback on the X3C. The SSUK (which I'm sure is NOT what Terra Acoustics would want me to call it) is plug-and-play, and includes a tweeter and a new speaker grill as part of the install. It is a super clean, well thought out setup. That being said, at $250, it needs to be about three times better than the Kenwoods at $80 per pair.

Here is a link to the SSUK if you want to look, and I've edited my original question to include the link.

Jeep Front SoundStage Speaker Upgrade - JL/JT – Terra Acoustics
I got mine a few weeks back (was on a wait list for maybe 2mos? Manufacturing logistics is terrible right now so... not their fault). A couple things I'll note - packaging and customer focus is top-notch, design is cool, well implemented, they provide a little toolkit with panel tool and 7mm driver in their own pouch as well. I laughed when I saw they had to cut maybe 2" off the tool/driver (because logistics sucks right now) but the thoughtfulness is there. Very well done product and packaging.

Now onto the drivers - and normal "everyone's ears are different" disclosure applies - they are of similar design/materials to the stock Alpine drivers for the 3" unit and then there's a tweeter with a resistor that mounts to the cover and plugs in there. Its a nice design with a more crisp or bright high range sound but I don't find it drastically different from the stockers. The sound stage feels like it has moved a little rearward toward the speaker bar so (to me) that says they may be a little less efficient vs the stock drivers here. Still they sound pretty good overall with the jeep all closed up. I've been top off and half-doors for the past few weeks here and wind noise just prevents any noticeable differences here. Granted I have two Jeep/Alpine setups here and think they sound really good for what they are (both JK and now JLU). The Terra's are certainly, by far, the easiest way to make a quick upgrade for the dash speakers... it's literally 5min per speaker to swap. Without getting into amp additions and more involved installations I can't find anything to complain about. Nice product overall.

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
What SSUK has done is made it easy. For my tastes in music (and I competed in Sound Quality competitions from 1996 until 2008) there are way better options! They might need some work (swapping plugs, changing dash enclosures, or modifying the opening) but a specialty shop can lead the way, and may even have a Jeep that they have done to let you hear with a little coordination. I spent around $12k in equipment on the stereo in my car and I performed the install and tune, and my wife is fine with the Alpine in her JLUR. I feel like it needs a lot of help, that only a full redo can make me happy. I typically use boutique brands that only specialty brick and mortar stores can get (and are typically zone restricted) so don't be afraid of listening to some brands you've never heard of. Mopar didn't help us out with the choice of sizes of drivers, but at least there are aftermarket options to make it sound better.

I have yet to install a Stinger Heigh(8 or 10) but I have installed a few of the JK restyle units. They are expensive but it may be worth it if you don't already have an 8.4.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheDukeofLark

TheDukeofLark

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR M/T
I installed these: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R3032CM/Infinity-Reference-REF-3032cfx.html
They improved the sound some, but not a night/day difference like others had described...

Jeep Wrangler JL Terra Acoustics vs Traditional Upgrade Speaker
I have heard these are too "bright" and don't have enough low/mid sound. Would you concur with that statement? I know these aren't going to be 15" subs or anything, but other comparisons between common 3.5" speakers suggest there are other offerings with a more balanced sound.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I have heard these are too "bright" and don't have enough low/mid sound. Would you concur with that statement? I know these aren't going to be 15" subs or anything, but other comparisons between common 3.5" speakers suggest there are other offerings with a more balanced sound.
To be honest, I listen to the radio, but am not super picky on the sound... I'm not a good one to comment on that...

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
So I got the alpine upgrade from stock, it’s not bad but could be improved. I installed the TAs and I have to say, I do not notice much of a difference. I have a Stinger Heigh10 installed also and I listen to my music via apple carplay wifi with Spotify so all those things could factor in. I have tweaked the settings based off of the recommendations from the TA folks, the emphasize that this will not boost your audio performance, just “clean” it up if that makes sense. My sound does sound really clean and clear and no distortion but again, not a difference where I’m “blown away”. Hope that helps.
Are your Spotify quality setting maxed out. Spotify on my phone sounded great in my JK with a Pioneer HU but on her '21 Alpine the sound left much to be desired. I never realized how bad it was until I stumbled on to HD FM by chance and was like, wait a minute. Now running Apple lossless.

Evergreen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander, 21 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Autonomous Vehicles
I didn't want to hijack this thread so I started a new one. Alpine vs Kenwood - very disappointed. I would pay money to keep my alpine, that is how bad the kenwoods were.

jaysmooth24

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL
Are your Spotify quality setting maxed out. Spotify on my phone sounded great in my JK with a Pioneer HU but on her '21 Alpine the sound left much to be desired. I never realized how bad it was until I stumbled on to HD FM by chance and was like, wait a minute. Now running Apple lossless.
To answer your question, yes I have the settings maxed out. Ironically enough, I recently switched to Apple Music and the quality and sound are far superior than Spotify.
Sponsored