Terra Acoustics vs Traditional Upgrade

jsw872

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Sport 2 Door 6Spd MT
I bought the terra's last Christmas, was on the waitlist for about a month. I really like them, they are better than stock, i had kicker's up front in the dash until the terra's came in and moved those kickers to the sound bar - like someone else said you barley notice the sound bar, personally I really like them, to me they sound great - i plug in through the media port and run apple music- for me worth the money.
Sponsored

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Yes that would be great
Jeep Wrangler JL Terra Acoustics vs Traditional Upgrade IMG_2015D.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Terra Acoustics vs Traditional Upgrade IMG_2158.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Terra Acoustics vs Traditional Upgrade IMG_2159.JPG

These will sort of show the depth... I installed 90deg elbows on my RCAs to keep the cable closer to the amps, not really needed IMO.

Also my passenger seat is not all the way back, maybe another ~2" of travel to put it fully rearward. Let me know if questions.

BKLYNJeep23

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting Patiently

These will sort of show the depth... I installed 90deg elbows on my RCAs to keep the cable closer to the amps, not really needed IMO.

Also my passenger seat is not all the way back, maybe another ~2" of travel to put it fully rearward. Let me know if questions.
Thanks so much. Install looks great. Hope you enjoy the sound!

BKLYNJeep23

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting Patiently

so coming out of the alpine in the JL and going to this what type of difference is there? Is it major. I find I always have to push my volume way up to make it seem loud enough for my taste.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
so coming out of the alpine in the JL and going to this what type of difference is there? Is it major. I find I always have to push my volume way up to make it seem loud enough for my taste.
Well there's volume and clarity for starters and yes it's a major improvement. Honestly the Alpine in my JK is a much better sounding stock system vs my stock JL. If the JL matched my JK I likely would have left things alone.

The MBQ is much louder, need additional amplification to do this and the stock JL/Alpine amp just can't regardless of what speakers you replace. Also the MBQ tweeters have more upper end (I haven't measured anything with instruments) but the crispness and clarity is really good, not fatiguing either like some other aftermarket options.

Note that I added a DSP though... need to call that out. The MBQ kit with the PAC amp interface works fine, crystal clear in sound but leaves a little to be desired with little/no built-in frequency adjustments. The DSP makes a significant difference in balancing things out.

Sponsored

BKLYNJeep23

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting Patiently
Well there's volume and clarity for starters and yes it's a major improvement. Honestly the Alpine in my JK is a much better sounding stock system vs my stock JL. If the JL matched my JK I likely would have left things alone.

The MBQ is much louder, need additional amplification to do this and the stock JL/Alpine amp just can't regardless of what speakers you replace. Also the MBQ tweeters have more upper end (I haven't measured anything with instruments) but the crispness and clarity is really good, not fatiguing either like some other aftermarket options.

Note that I added a DSP though... need to call that out. The MBQ kit with the PAC amp interface works fine, crystal clear in sound but leaves a little to be desired with little/no built-in frequency adjustments. The DSP makes a significant difference in balancing things out.
thanks for the info. ill let you know what I decide to do.

rubiria

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Just installed the Terra kit for my JLUR. The clearer highs are much more noticeable over the stock single Full Range. I am able to better hear the detailed strumming of guitars, hits on cymbals, etc. I myself prefer a “plug and play” setup where I can avoid the hassle of spec-ing out Fronts and the Soundbar. Plus all the Tools are there: a Plastic Panel Pry Bar and an 8mm Socket that attaches with your factory Toolkit Ratchet.

I do follow their recommendations of using a USB-C Cable for my iPhone Audio, and start out with a basic flat EQ. Although I would like to fine tune the Mid and Treble just a bit to get the sound I want.

Install pics below:

C067D9B8-98E3-4646-840D-EC80E6F506FA.jpeg

81977087-834E-4DC7-B6CA-2F38A675DC4F.jpeg

6A1D0E8F-D1A1-43F5-A68F-6076E32A234C.jpeg

945D5FC7-27CD-4BFB-BE74-118F04F3F3AB.jpeg

9A4A0D4B-B8D8-46A7-864B-6B97E45469F4.jpeg

E651F633-C16C-4098-A88F-0345AC385CFB.jpeg

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Just got them delivered today and installed:

Jeep Wrangler JL Terra Acoustics vs Traditional Upgrade 3D560AA8-8B58-4731-90EF-684B4DDB6B5F

What stock Alpine EQ settings do most use?

What I came up with:
Jeep Wrangler JL Terra Acoustics vs Traditional Upgrade 6C9861E0-E992-4489-A4D4-CF5CCB669DCD

Last edited:

Nibis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU, 2019 Ram 1500, 2011 Honda Fit
Got my Terra kit today, I'm actually surprised how small the magnet is on the woofer.

Sponsored

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
Got my Terra kit today, I'm actually surprised how small the magnet is on the woofer.
If you think the TA’s have small magnets, you should see the OE knee panel speakers, LOL. In all seriousness though, now you have ‘em, so plug ‘em in and give ’em a shot 👍.

Jeep Wrangler JL Terra Acoustics vs Traditional Upgrade IMG_5294

Nibis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU, 2019 Ram 1500, 2011 Honda Fit
If you think the TA’s have small magnets, you should see the OE knee panel speakers, LOL. In all seriousness though, now you have ‘em, so plug ‘em in and give ’em a shot 👍.

Jeep Wrangler JL Terra Acoustics vs Traditional Upgrade IMG_5294
I just put them in, they sound pretty good, definitely changes the sound stage, for the better. I still have one of my 3.5's from my Ram 1500, and the magnet on it is much bigger than the Jeeps. The Jeeps is a poly cone, while the Rams is a paper cone. I replaced all the speakers in the Ram, with infinity reference series. Used the woofer from the component system in the front doors, 2 way in the back doors, and the 3.5s in the dash and rear headliner, along with a fox acoustics sub box, it sounded great. I pulled it all out when I traded it, and am in the process of putting it in my Wife's Ram.

Not sure if I'll do any other speakers in the Jeep, but I am putting in a sub, got the Stinger wiring kit and under seat mounting kit today. After I get that installed, I'll think about the sound bar. Not sure I feel like doing the knees, lol

JINO

First Name
Jino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
I have the Terra speakers, they're a slight improvement to the factory Alpine.

One day I wish to do all my speakers from Audiofrog. They're the closest I've ever heard to high end home stereos.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
What stock Alpine EQ settings do most use?

What I came up with:
6C9861E0-E992-4489-A4D4-CF5CCB669DCD.jpeg
Very late reply, but since the thread was bumped..

I tend to change mine occasionally, but for my 2-door w/Alpine and TA upgrade, it's usually something like +1, +2, +3 or +2, +2, +3 or +2, +3, +3 (Low, Mid, High) or something very similar that keeps the change between neighboring bands minimal (within 1 step and less than 3 between high and low). Otherwise, things start sounding a bit nasty to my ears. Your +5, +1, +6 would drive me crazy, but everybody likes their sound a bit different.

This is with the road noise/speed compensation setting set to "low" and the fader either at 0 or +1 toward the front to slightly lower the overbearing subwoofer. I'm still pretty happy with the end result, but tbh, I really do miss the 5-band parametric EQ, adjustable crossovers, independent channel levels and time-alignment from my last few Alpine head units (aftermarket not OEM).
Sponsored