Teraflex vs. Rusty's Spare Tire Hinge Reinforcement/Replacement

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
Since Cavfab was shouted above (lol), thought I'd show mine and mention how overall awesome it's been. I installed one of their rear bumpers at the same time as the hinged carrier. Had both pieces powder coated to match the lightly textured black of the factory front steel bumper, and the nameplates and shackles finished in the same gloss red of the rear tow hook that was removed.
20210211_132351_resized.jpg
How much did it cost to powdercoat?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
How much did it cost to powdercoat?
$740 for both the carrier and rear bumper. They had them for about 2.5 weeks, because of all the prep involved to attain the best finish. Most of that prep is going through dozens of little abrasive flap wheels on a small pneumatic rotary tool to remove the sharp edge from every corner. Powder coat doesn't adhere to sharp corners, which leads to chipping.

Reactions: zdr

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
Any coupon codes for Rusty's?

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 JCW, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I am running Rustys hinged carrier. Its been great. No issues with my 37" spare. It offers a few options for relocating the rear brake light.

The install did call for drilling in the tailgate (near the handle) which I did not do. Instead I used some Tough Stuff Rocker Guard Gasket and put that on the part of the carrier that is against the paint.

Anyway, late reply to the thread .... just noting my experience with the carrier.

PicsArt_10-08-09.58.25.jpg

Sponsored

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
it's what's recommended by Mopar, the same brand that makes the Jeep you drive.... i think they know a thing or two on what's best for the Jeep;)
After a year using the Mopar reinforcement plate with a 37" tire the hinges are shot. Definitely a waste of money IMO for a worthless tin plate that absolutely does nothing.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
After a year using the Mopar reinforcement plate with a 37" tire the hinges are shot. Definitely a waste of money IMO for a worthless tin plate that absolutely does nothing.
i hope you had installed it correctly by also adding the Oversized Spare Tire Mounting Brackets;) The Mopar Reinforcement plate alone wont do the trick bro.....

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex vs. Rusty's Spare Tire Hinge Reinforcement/Replacement 1633715540252

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i hope you had installed it correctly by also adding the Oversized Spare Tire Mounting Brackets;) The Mopar Reinforcement plate alone wont do the trick bro.....

1633715540252.png
LOL

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex vs. Rusty's Spare Tire Hinge Reinforcement/Replacement 1633715540252
LOL. None of that does anything to reinforce the hinges. Just because Jeep/FCA/Fiat/ Stellantis markets something doesn't mean it's the best thing since sliced bread. Many times the aftermarket has improved on OEM and this is one of them.😉

OP
OP

erikthedon

First Name
???
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S 2 Door
LOL

LOL. None of that does anything to reinforce the hinges. Just because Jeep/FCA/Fiat/ Stellantis markets something doesn't mean it's the best thing since sliced bread. Many times the aftermarket has improved on OEM and this is one of them.😉
I’m sure it’s better than having absolutely nothing on there but you’re right. The Mopar option is completely worthless. Very happy with my Rusty’s carrier

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m sure it’s better than having absolutely nothing on there but you’re right. The Mopar option is completely worthless. Very happy with my Rusty’s carrier
Yep. That's what I will be installing my 2022.

Sponsored

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I installed the Rusty's carrier and I did drill the holes for the left side into the door. It clearly states you do not have to on their site and in the instructions. I put aftermarket fenders and whatnot, so what was three extra holes. The "R" was just a bonus as my last name starts with the same!

I had trouble with the alignment. My solution involved no shims. The door can be shut with a finger, better than when it was stock. I'm impressed by the carrier as it is nice and tight, does not shake, and makes zero noise. I'd get the same again. Same for my front and read bumpers. Rusty's. So far, I have been very happy. The plus for me is none of their stuff has that "hammertone" finish.
Sponsored