erikthedon

First Name
???
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S 2 Door
Hi all,

I am having a tough time deciding on which spare tire hinge replacement kit to go with. I have been looking into options for a couple of weeks now and have narrowed it down to these 2:

Teraflex

Rusty's Offroad

I am currently leaning towards the Rusty's kit because it is cheaper, has great reviews on forums, and is readily available to order. I also really like the adjustable bump stop it has, which I feel will be helpful for my build since I am running -18mm offset wheels.

I do think that the Teraflex kit is nice, but I am stuck wondering what it offers that the Rusty's doesnt. I can't seem to justify the ~300 dollar difference in price ($1100) which is what it comes to when you purchase the Teraflex spare tire carrier as well.

Can I pls get some input from people here? I'm not sure how much longer I can take the sound of my rattling spare tire for lol.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Justforfun

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram - 2015 JKUR
Have been researching the Teraflex myself and see a lot of guys complaining about not being able to get the gaps right. Still having sagging issues etc.
the Rustys kit requires you to drill the tailgate but other than that appears to be solid.
Looking forward to hearing others thoughts too.

Pjhusker

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, 2019 Tahoe, 2020 JLU Sport S
This is a great post, as I too am torn between both of these tire carries. Interested in hearing anyones opinions on these two carries

OP
OP

erikthedon

First Name
???
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S 2 Door
This is a great post, as I too am torn between both of these tire carries. Interested in hearing anyones opinions on these two carries
Thanks! I ended up going with the Rusty’s carrier. Heard nothing but good things about it. I’ll let you know how it is when it comes in.

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
I purchased the rugged ridge reinforcement due to the recommendations of others and good reviews (not installed yet), and plan on just purchasing the teraflex carrier. (For the same reasons)

Last edited:

Sponsored

GoingInJeep

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Jeep JAY EL
Occupation
PROFESSIONAL DRIVER
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT TIRE CARRIERS.
I WON'T DO TERAFLEX BECAUSE OF THE STUFF I READ ON THIS SITE WITH POOR ALIGNMENT NEEDING TO ASK MOTOBILT FOR SHIMS FOR THE HINGES BECAUSE THE DOOR SAGS. NOT WORTH THE MONEY.

HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE CAVFAB. I AM SERIOUSLY LOOING AT THAT ONE. LOT'S OF GOOD VIDEOS ON UTUBE AND PEOPLE SEEM T LIKE THEM. MOTOBILT IS ANOTHER OPTION.

SCREW EVO'S. BIG GAPS ON WHERE THE HINGES GO IN. I GOT REEMED BY EDDIE FOR MY TWO PENNIES ABOUT THE GARBAGE ENIGINEERING. HE IS A BIG EVO FANBOI. TWO EACH, BUT WE ARE HERE TO SEE WHAT WORKS GREAT AND NOT SETTLE FOR CRAP.

I FOR ONE STILL WORK HARD FORMY MONEY!

Pjhusker

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, 2019 Tahoe, 2020 JLU Sport S
I decided to go with the Rusty's tire carrier, I was leaning that way to begin with. So many positive comments and I like the re-enforcement bracket inside the rear light well. I'll post pics once I receive it and get it mounted.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've been driving Wranglers for over a dozen years and I've never heard of a hinge failure - just broken tailgate rivets.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT TIRE CARRIERS.
I WON'T DO TERAFLEX BECAUSE OF THE STUFF I READ ON THIS SITE WITH POOR ALIGNMENT NEEDING TO ASK MOTOBILT FOR SHIMS FOR THE HINGES BECAUSE THE DOOR SAGS. NOT WORTH THE MONEY.

HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE CAVFAB. I AM SERIOUSLY LOOING AT THAT ONE. LOT'S OF GOOD VIDEOS ON UTUBE AND PEOPLE SEEM T LIKE THEM. MOTOBILT IS ANOTHER OPTION.

SCREW EVO'S. BIG GAPS ON WHERE THE HINGES GO IN. I GOT REEMED BY EDDIE FOR MY TWO PENNIES ABOUT THE GARBAGE ENIGINEERING. HE IS A BIG EVO FANBOI. TWO EACH, BUT WE ARE HERE TO SEE WHAT WORKS GREAT AND NOT SETTLE FOR CRAP.

I FOR ONE STILL WORK HARD FORMY MONEY!
Yeah, if EVO's other products are anything like their tire carrier, I'd stay far away. What a piece of shit.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, probably should stay away from EVO. Apparently I got the last good EVO carrier, been rock solid, perfect lines, no gaps, no sagging. Been great. It’s been on near 2 years now, and has not had a easy life.

The welds look like a tech school trainee did it , but that shit doesn’t bother me. It sucks I can’t recommend something that I run, seems they’ve gone downhill lately.

I also don’t listen to any of the influencers on u tube and what not, don’t even watch that shit. The people on this board will give you a more honest answer and solid feedback good or bad.

If mine fails , I would get Rustys.

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex vs. Rusty's Spare Tire Hinge Reinforcement/Replacement C4B10A90-BEDC-4126-B308-BD811DAD91DF

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Since Cavfab was shouted above (lol), thought I'd show mine and mention how overall awesome it's been. I installed one of their rear bumpers at the same time as the hinged carrier. Had both pieces powder coated to match the lightly textured black of the factory front steel bumper, and the nameplates and shackles finished in the same gloss red of the rear tow hook that was removed.
Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex vs. Rusty's Spare Tire Hinge Reinforcement/Replacement 20210211_132351_resized

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
Why not just go with OEM and use the Mopar 82215356AB Tailgate Reinforcement Kit..

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Why not just go with OEM and use the Mopar 82215356AB Tailgate Reinforcement Kit..
Absolutely worthless product. Just like the JK, the OEM tire is already maxing out the weight limit of the gate, so adding a metal bracket on top of that doesn't "reinforce" anything. The benefit of Rusty's, Teraflex, and even the EVO carrier is that they move the weight of the spare (and the tire carrier itself) off the gate and onto the tub.
Sponsored