First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
Interesting thread, it's always fun to read about yourself.

Also, feel free to ask me any questions and I'll do my best to answer them as transparently as possible.

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex vs MetalCloak popcorn-watching-tv

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have been 1000% satisfied with Metal Cloak with the ride and performance of the lift and suspension components as well as their customer service.

They actively support the community and frequently offer 10% off their products.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
Interesting thread, it's always fun to read about yourself.

Also, feel free to ask me any questions and I'll do my best to answer them as transparently as possible.
I'll bite...How do your spring rates compare to those used on the MetalCloak Gamechanger?

Secondly, from your website, it appears the Teraflex kits only provide a single spring rate for everything from a Sport to the 4xe. Do you offer more than one spring rate?

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
I'll bite...How do your spring rates compare to those used on the MetalCloak Gamechanger?

Secondly, from your website, it appears the Teraflex kits only provide a single spring rate for everything from a Sport to the 4xe. Do you offer more than one spring rate?
I hope they answer. I asked about spring rate from MC and got a sidetrack answer. Not the actual engineering data I was asking for. When looking for lifts on my 5th gen 4Runner all the spring rates for different companies seemed to be listed and you can choose based off your build properly. With the Jeep the info seems gatekept for some reason. Maybe Iā€™m just looking in the wrong places for the dataā€¦

Sponsored

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
I hope they answer. I asked about spring rate from MC and got a sidetrack answer. Not the actual engineering data I was asking for. When looking for lifts on my 5th gen 4Runner all the spring rates for different companies seemed to be listed and you can choose based off your build properly. With the Jeep the info seems gatekept for some reason. Maybe Iā€™m just looking in the wrong places for the dataā€¦
That's because in the Jeep world a lot (not all) of suspension lift companies are outsourcing their coils from one or two manufacturers. They don't want to release spring rates because with a little research you can find out where that coil spring came from. It's a dog eat dog world out there.

KevinC

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK

Ah this is a good question. At the exact moment, we only offer "normal" coil springs, if that makes sense. We do have "HD" style coil springs just about to be released, which do have a higher coil rate over what we're currently offering. These HD springs will be packaged into application specific kits for 4Xe, 392, etc. We're hoping to have them out by EJS (easter jeep safari) this year. I don't have the full spec chart for the new upcoming HD springs, but here's the full spec sheet for our current coils.

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex vs MetalCloak JLJT Spring Chart Complete.PNG

That's because in the Jeep world a lot (not all) of suspension lift companies are outsourcing their coils from one or two manufacturers. They don't want to release spring rates because with a little research you can find out where that coil spring came from. It's a dog eat dog world out there.
This is pretty spot on. However, there's not much stopping companies from retail buying our springs and putting them on a spring tester to find out most of the specs. However, with that being said, we are okay with people knowing the specs if it helps them better find the best spring option for their Jeep. Our springs are made in California for reference.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Ah this is a good question. At the exact moment, we only offer "normal" coil springs, if that makes sense. We do have "HD" style coil springs just about to be released, which do have a higher coil rate over what we're currently offering. These HD springs will be packaged into application specific kits for 4Xe, 392, etc. We're hoping to have them out by EJS (easter jeep safari) this year. I don't have the full spec chart for the new upcoming HD springs, but here's the full spec sheet for our current coils.

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex vs MetalCloak JLJT Spring Chart Complete.PNG
I've read that the factory 2-door has higher font spring rates than a 4-door, due to the shorter wheelbase, ride frequency, and probably being designed for "flat ride". It appears that this wasn't addressed here. Was that a conscious design choice for off road purposes or just the typical 2-door afterthought?

Also why does your website not clearly list the compresses & extended shock lengths? Same question for shock extensions.

And what's with the spacer options? I want a 1.5" front & 1" rear for my 2-door (which Taraflex has determined is a 4-door rake). It's is kind of annoying to dig through the 7 different spacer kits just to come to the conclusion that neither size is offered... when it could have been as simple as listing 0.5"/1.0"/1.5" for front/rear.

Sponsored

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
I've read that the factory 2-door has higher font spring rates than a 4-door, due to the shorter wheelbase, ride frequency, and probably being designed for "flat ride". It appears that this wasn't addressed here. Was that a conscious design choice for off road purposes or just the typical 2-door afterthought?

Also why does your website not clearly list the compresses & extended shock lengths? Same question for shock extensions.

And what's with the spacer options? I want a 1.5" front & 1" rear for my 2-door (which Taraflex has determined is a 4-door rake). It's is kind of annoying to dig through the 7 different spacer kits just to come to the conclusion that neither size is offered... when it could have been as simple as listing 0.5"/1.0"/1.5" for front/rear.
Interesting question I've not seen asked before!

We found during our own testing with 2 vs 4 door spring rates both on vehicle(s) and on our spring tester that there was little to no difference in the factory spring rates between 2 to 4 door front springs. Less than 5 lb per spring for reference. Also, since our springs are a higher lb rate than factory, it made the "needed" difference even less. As a result, it made more sense as a manufacturer to produce 2/4 door front springs at the same lb rate.

We don't list the shock lengths because there is so many variables and different shock options. We don't want to cloud up and confuse customers with an already wide range of offerings and related info. Over the years we have made changes to our shock lineup such as the SP2 Mode Adjust and other tweaks that have changed the extended/compressed data, which further complicates the situation. By no means do we try to keep that info secret, and if those numbers are wanted a quick call to our customer service team can get you those current numbers. That being said, this is the most up to date chart we have excluding the recent SP2 update to the JK shock lineup.

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex vs MetalCloak 1677181199656

On your last question, we do most of our spacers listed in pairs, for example kit #1155150 for a pair of 0.5 front spacers, kit #1155110 for a pair of front 1 inch spacers, etc. There's a few of the rear spacers that are not listed, but they can be bought in pairs or individually if wanted, you'd just want to reach out to us direct or to one of our dealers/vendors.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
We found during our own testing with 2 vs 4 door spring rates both on vehicle(s) and on our spring tester that there was little to no difference in the factory spring rates between 2 to 4 door front springs. Less than 5 lb per spring for reference.
Our spring rates up front are almost identical to that of the stock 2 Door JL. We felt the stock JLU springs up front were too soft and unpredictable.
Not sure who I believe... but I've felt that the JLUR springs on the front of my JLR were softer...

Also, since our springs are a higher lb rate than factory, it made the "needed" difference even less.
JLU Sport - 114/121 Front 171/174 Rear

JLU Rubicon - 123/128 Front 172/176 Rear

Mopar 2" Coils Lift - 131/133 Front 180/182 Rear
With TaraFlex's 110 #/inch front ride rate & 150 #/inch rear... Again, I'm not sure who I believe here.

As a result, it made more sense as a manufacturer to produce 2/4 door front springs at the same lb rate.
Why? They're already unique springs for the 2-door.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
They're both great brands. I use Teraflex because they've in the Jeep business for so long and they're ingrained into the Jeep brand so deep, that they're the obvious choice for me, personally.

You can't go wrong with either.
@Casey250 has @TeraFlex on his 3.0. I remember the video, they were one of the first, if not the first to make a lift specifically for the EcoDiesel! šŸ˜

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Iā€™m shocked no one has talked about the two long arm kits. Iā€™m curious about everyoneā€™s thoughts. I am working my way into a 3.5ā€ long arm kit for my 4door jlu. Been debating between the tried and true teraflex and the metacloaked new kit. I will in either case continue to use my falcon 3.3 shocks as they are one great set of shocks.. Iā€™m just curious how the install goes for metacloak. I unfortunately donā€™t have means for car lift just yet so everything I do is jack stands and Jacks. Canā€™t wait to hear what people have to say about the cloaked 3.5ā€ L.A.kits

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
With TaraFlex's 110 #/inch front ride rate & 150 #/inch rear... Again, I'm not sure who I believe here.
140 is ride rate. 110 is the extended part on top for extension during droop. The 2 door rears are less at 150 vs 170 on JLU.
Sponsored