Teraflex vs. Icon vs. EVO

jsmn_jl

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Trying to phrase this so it won't devolve quickly. I am looking to upgrade the suspension on my 2019 JLUR. The good news is there are a ton of options. The bad news is that creates paralysis by analysis. I have narrowed it down to three options. I am looking to get feedback on them but more importantly compare/contrast from anyone who has experienced more than one.

The Jeep will be taken off road but will be built as an overland rig. Not insane rock crawling and lots of highway miles to get where it's going. Looking at 2.5 inch lifts to keep the COG low and will only be running 35s.

1) Teraflex 2.5” Alpine RT2 Short Arm I had a ST2 with 3.3 shocks on my 2 door JK and felt it was a very harsh ride even on the softest setting. Unsure if that would be different on a 4door JL.

2) Icon Stage 7 I am only familiar with Icon from my F150 days where I had Icon UCAs. They were GREAT but the ball joints rusted out with in the first year. This is the most complete set up, although I am not sure if it would be worth a little bit more to get the Stage 8.

3) EVO MFG JL 2.5" ENFORCER OVERLAND LIFT STAGE 4 PLUS W/ EVO SPEC KING 2.5" SHOCKS Have no experience with either EVO or King but they both seem to be well reviewed.

Bottom line: Who is running any of these set ups? What are your thoughts? Would you recommend it? Can you compare it to any of the others?

TIA
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Trying to phrase this so it won't devolve quickly. I am looking to upgrade the suspension on my 2019 JLUR. The good news is there are a ton of options. The bad news is that creates paralysis by analysis. I have narrowed it down to three options. I am looking to get feedback on them but more importantly compare/contrast from anyone who has experienced more than one.

The Jeep will be taken off road but will be built as an overland rig. Not insane rock crawling and lots of highway miles to get where it's going. Looking at 2.5 inch lifts to keep the COG low and will only be running 35s.

1) Teraflex 2.5” Alpine RT2 Short Arm I had a ST2 with 3.3 shocks on my 2 door JK and felt it was a very harsh ride even on the softest setting. Unsure if that would be different on a 4door JL.

2) Icon Stage 7 I am only familiar with Icon from my F150 days where I had Icon UCAs. They were GREAT but the ball joints rusted out with in the first year. This is the most complete set up, although I am not sure if it would be worth a little bit more to get the Stage 8.

3) EVO MFG JL 2.5" ENFORCER OVERLAND LIFT STAGE 4 PLUS W/ EVO SPEC KING 2.5" SHOCKS Have no experience with either EVO or King but they both seem to be well reviewed.

Bottom line: Who is running any of these set ups? What are your thoughts? Would you recommend it? Can you compare it to any of the others?

TIA
Seems like you've already ruled out 2 of your choices. I'd consider Metalcloak or Rock Krawler.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You have a Rubicon. Install some wheel spacers and run your 35s already. I'm running 37s without a lift and barely rub under full flex

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Go with EVO!

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Evo from the options listed. However, id suggest metalcloak or rock krawler over all of them like work mentioned.

Brett

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
EVO and ICON are serious suspension manufacturers, which is why they are used on Baja1000 trucks. EVO is bombproof, but has maintenance an hidden costs (like charging shocks with nitrogen). icon is well engineered and is a great system for a mostly road driven rig. If you’re a hardcore wheeler, go EVO. A casual over lander, ICON would make a little more sense. There are other good suspension companies, but “some animals are more equal than others.”

OP
OP

jsmn_jl

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
@word302 @rustyshakelford I considered both Rock Krawler and MetalCloak but have heard nothing about Rock Krawler and mostly bad reviews of MetalCloak. I would welcome any feedback you guys have on why you prefer those set ups. Which set up are you running? Which shocks?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@word302 @rustyshakelford I considered both Rock Krawler and MetalCloak but have heard nothing about Rock Krawler and mostly bad reviews of MetalCloak. I would welcome any feedback you guys have on why you prefer those set ups. Which set up are you running? Which shocks?
Where have you seen anything negative about metalcloak? Rock krawler and metalcloak are in my opinion the top two companies making JL suspensions for 95% of users. Hard to beat evo for coilovers but realistically how many folks are running those systems?

We install a ton (literally tons on metalcloak) lifts and absolutely everyone has loved it. They have excellent build quality, great ride and flex out terrific. I have a MC game changer rocksport on mine. It’s a sub $2500 lift. My wife’s JLUR has an RK x-factor with Radflo 2.5” resi shocks. Excellent lift also but most folks prefer the ride of mine.

I’m genuinely interested in anything negative on MC. The only place I could possibly imagine it would be the JL wrangler page on Facebook. It’s ran by extreme RK fanboys and if it’s not RK, it’s junk in their eyes.

Brett

OP
OP

jsmn_jl

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'd have to go back and look it up as it was from a year ago. It was on Instagram with some of the larger California based crews basically saying MetalCloak was good for skids etc. but their suspensions cause "headaches" with known issues. They recommended RK, Synergy and EVO.

This is all the reason for my first post, everyone has an opinion so I am trying to find folks who have experience with multiple set ups and can compare/contrast. I know the Teraflex lift on my JK was too stiff for my liking but I have no experience with any JL lifts.

@rustyshakelford why did you go rocksport on yours and not 6pack? Did you swap out your front drive shaft?

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd have to go back and look it up as it was from a year ago. It was on Instagram with some of the larger California based crews basically saying MetalCloak was good for skids etc. but their suspensions cause "headaches" with known issues. They recommended RK, Synergy and EVO.

This is all the reason for my first post, everyone has an opinion so I am trying to find folks who have experience with multiple set ups and can compare/contrast. I know the Teraflex lift on my JK was too stiff for my liking but I have no experience with any JL lifts.

@rustyshakelford why did you go rocksport on yours and not 6pack? Did you swap out your front drive shaft?
I like the rocksports. Whenever they need replacing it’s $276 shipped for 4. I built mine to give customers as realistic expectation as possible to what they can expect. The 6 paks have a place and I might go down that road at some point. However, when we get customers that prefer a different shock, we work with accutune to get some custom valved shocks trailered to their Jeep and driving goals. Metalcloak is my favorite lift out for the JL, RK is a close second. I won’t mess with teraflex lifts personally. I don’t offer them. If a customer brings me their stuff in a box to install, I’ve very clear I’m not responsible for how it rides. The install will be done correct but the ride is not going to be my responsibility. They have a great looking shock and supppsedly the SP2 is better but I’m not going down that road.

We swap out the driveshaft on most of the builds we do. It’s cheap insurance if you wheel.

Brett

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
How extreme does the wheeling have to get before you need to replace the driveshaft, and what is the result if you go too extreme with stock driveshaft? I too am contemplating what lift to get. My JL is only a week old, and this one I want to be off-road proficient, but I also have a LJRU with long arms, winch and all the goodies when I really want to go crazy (to be honest, I'm really never too crazy). Mainly got the JLRU because I needed something a little more civilized with 4 doors for the brats. I plan on pulling both behind my RV and choosing which to take based on the trip.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
How extreme does the wheeling have to get before you need to replace the driveshaft, and what is the result if you go too extreme with stock driveshaft? I too am contemplating what lift to get. My JL is only a week old, and this one I want to be off-road proficient, but I also have a LJRU with long arms, winch and all the goodies when I really want to go crazy (to be honest, I'm really never too crazy). Mainly got the JLRU because I needed something a little more civilized with 4 doors for the brats. I plan on pulling both behind my RV and choosing which to take based on the trip.
Sorry, but I gotta ask. How are you pulling TWO Jeeps behind your RV?

For your other question, what tires are you wanting to run? You can fit 37s without a lift at all, and the stock hardware is more than sufficient to take all the beating most people would ever dish out.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It depends on the lift. Travel had to be pretty extreme before needing to upgrade. I have the Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor and I've turn the front boot but no damage too the joint. I'll likely upgrade it soon. I'm going to modify my Rubi fenders soon which should allow me to remove 1" of bump stop. I think a new driveshaft will be required then.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, but I gotta ask. How are you pulling TWO Jeeps behind your RV?

For your other question, what tires are you wanting to run? You can fit 37s without a lift at all, and the stock hardware is more than sufficient to take all the beating most people would ever dish out.
I've got a triples license! I attach LJRU to the JLRU to the motor home. Just kidding, I meant that I choose which Jeep to pull based on the destination. If we are going to an area where the Jeep is going to get used primarily off-road busting brush or as a taxi for my family to float them up and down a river, I'll take the LJ. If we are going somewhere where will be exploring a town or more "clean" offroading, I'll take the JL. I plan to run 35's, and although the stock JLUR is plenty capable, I do want to lift it, but this Jeep will be 80% street, so I need to keep that in mind. What I don't understand is that everyone is saying that you can run 35s on a stock JRLU, but when I read about the lift installs, you have to space the bumpstops. I watched a Teraflex 2.5" install on a JRLU and if you put 35s on it, they require you to add a 2" bumpstop spacer. So, doesn't that mean, you would only gain 1/2" of travel from a 2.5" lift?
Sponsored