Sponsored

Teraflex Track Bars, Who’s had no issue on your JL?

Chrisdupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
i believe that something similar was asked earlier but never really addressed so...has anyone experienced similar issues with the Alpine IR control arms? Or are they a solid choice as far as adjustable control arms are concerned?
Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
i believe that something similar was asked earlier but never really addressed so...has anyone experienced similar issues with the Alpine IR control arms? Or are they a solid choice as far as adjustable control arms are concerned?
Don't have the control arms, but came across this in my extensive Youtube search last night. Also not sure if this is in any way applicable to the track bar.

As a side note, I really don't like this old guy and feel the urge to punch him in the face. But, he's old so...

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I have the Alpine IR control arms on my rig. Though they've only been on there for 2-3 months, they seem to be functioning fine.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Terraflex used to be high quality years ago when they were small (more than 10 years ago). Since they got huge and started outsourcing manufacturing their quality has suffered significantly ala Rubicon Express.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have Alpine IR control arms and the track bar. Track bar is junk, control arms are fine. I've been driving fast in the desert as well as some rock crawling and no issues with the control arms. Trackbar went bad a few hours in my first off road trip with it.

Sponsored

JOutlaw

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Teraflex telling you they have not heard of this issue is the biggest pile of bollocks ever.

I personally have pages of back and forth message between their tech support regarding mine.

They are FULLY aware of this issue due to hundreds if not thousands of complaints and returns they’ve done for this trackbar alone. Now they just choose to look the other way instead of addressing the issue.

I was honestly hoping they have addressed it in their newer batches. If they still haven’t, I’m left wondering — WTF have they been doing?

I can’t imagine their head engineer looking at it and be like — “meh, just pretend it’s a non-issue and let them swamp our customer support with complaints and returns!”
Anyone here have the TF Track bar bracket mounted and is having the same issue/sound? I ask because I have the exact same issue everyone here is having and my neighbor has the same trackbar but he has the bracket and has no sound. The bar does move but there is no noise coming from it. At first I thought the noise was coming from my drag link but was told by the dealer it's the TF track bar too. Wondering if by changing the two geometry it fixes this issue. Also when I had the track bar adjusted the dudes at the shop told me that the bar was adjusted as far as it let them... is a 0-6"lift track bar..??? I have the mopar 2" kit. That made no sense unless the bracket is really needed which in that case whats the Point of adjustable track bar, Right?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Anyone here have the TF Track bar bracket mounted and is having the same issue/sound? I ask because I have the exact same issue everyone here is having and my neighbor has the same trackbar but he has the bracket and has no sound. The bar does move but there is no noise coming from it. At first I thought the noise was coming from my drag link but was told by the dealer it's the TF track bar too. Wondering if by changing the two geometry it fixes this issue. Also when I had the track bar adjusted the dudes at the shop told me that the bar was adjusted as far as it let them... is a 0-6"lift track bar..??? I have the mopar 2" kit. That made no sense unless the bracket is really needed which in that case whats the Point of adjustable track bar, Right?
It’s my understanding that with the TF bracket the noise goes away.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The front tb bracket is to raise the stock track bar to keep axle centered . If you use an adjustable track bar to center your axle and also raise it with the bracket , you will likely incur bumpsteer because the tb and drag link will be out of parallel with each other. If you want to use the bracket then be sure to adjust the tb back to stock length or close to it , just make sure drag link and tb are parallel. Doesn’t matter the angle just as long as they’re on the same angle. Just some ✌ cents.

JOutlaw

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
It’s my understanding that with the TF bracket the noise goes away.

That's what I was think just based off on my friend JL he has the bracket and no noise and I don't have it and have all the noise issues everyone is experiencing. Thanks I ordered the bracket will give feedback once installed.

DerekPB

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Reverse Engineering
Vehicle Showcase
The thing is, I have not encounter any track bar that does this, ever.

Also, every alignment shop and dealer service dept have said that this is NOT ok.

Went to the best alignment shop in town, they just gave the vehicle back to me and said they won’t do anything until I install a correct track bar for my vehicle as it’s not safe and they won’t risk responsibility.

During my last dealer visit, they threatened to void my warranty the next time I take my vehicle in for service if I don’t get it fixed.

So you can understand my frustration.

7A0A5F21-DFC6-4931-8DAC-48CF6E1860DB.jpeg

So far I have not found a single person that would go on record and say this was OK except for @TeraFlex
I was going for an alignment getting set for some new rims and tires and the shop said I needed to fix the trackbar and he showed me, as someone moved the wheel, the adjustable end flex. For now I'm back on the stock one (with a shifted steering wheel) with a ~0.750" difference between the bar lengths with a 2.5" lift.

Put the track bar on the surface plate and with it all "tight" I get movement of the end into the split nut sleeve of 0.035" "up and down".

Have written them but haven't heard back yet.

Wondering if it worth getting replacement ends and split sleeve... Or just weld it and lock it in place... Or give up and buy another brand.

Also as a potential result of this the shop said it looks like my upper passenger ball joint is starting to go.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I was going for an alignment getting set for some new rims and tires and the shop said I needed to fix the trackbar and he showed me, as someone moved the wheel, the adjustable end flex. For now I'm back on the stock one (with a shifted steering wheel) with a ~0.750" difference between the bar lengths with a 2.5" lift.

Put the track bar on the surface plate and with it all "tight" I get movement of the end into the split nut sleeve of 0.035" "up and down".

Have written them but haven't heard back yet.

Wondering if it worth getting replacement ends and split sleeve... Or just weld it and lock it in place... Or give up and buy another brand.

Also as a potential result of this the shop said it looks like my upper passenger ball joint is starting to go.
Call Teraflex and talk to them on the phone. They are pretty agreeable and truly want to know if their stuff has problems. After having 3 TF trackbars with documented problems (not the problem you are having) I politely asked them for a refund and took that money and went with Steer Smarts.

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
So for what it's worth, I ditched the Teraflex and replaced it with a JKS. Pretty good difference I must say. The Teraflex made a clunking noise from day one and then the rattle started and it seemed like the Jeep was not as "planted", like the axle was moving side to side very slightly. This all went away after putting in the JKS. My son even noticed the difference when he drove it.

Chrisdupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
So for what it's worth, I ditched the Teraflex and replaced it with a JKS. Pretty good difference I must say. The Teraflex made a clunking noise from day one and then the rattle started and it seemed like the Jeep was not as "planted", like the axle was moving side to side very slightly. This all went away after putting in the JKS. My son even noticed the difference when he drove it.
I also switched but went with a synergy track bar. No movement or noises now. I will say that the teraflex track bar was way heavier than the synergy the replaced it.

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
I also switched but went with a synergy track bar. No movement or noises now. I will say that the teraflex track bar was way heavier than the synergy the replaced it.
Same with the JKS, the Teraflex was heavier as well.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Jam nuts=far more strength. You’ll never convince me that suspension/steering components with pinch bolts will hold up over time.
Sponsored