Sponsored

Teraflex Track Bars, Who’s had no issue on your JL?

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
The issue I have with the Teraflex track bar and some of their control arms is the use of Clevite bushings in their joints. Clevite bushings (which are what comes in the stock control arms and track bars) are fine if you don't flex your suspension too much. Once the arms and/or track bar gets articulated to the point where the rubber can no longer twist, you risk damaging the joint. The joint is damaged due to the inner metal sleeve (which is bonded to the rubber bushing) tearing away from the bushing. You will then experience odd noises and abnormal handling due to the bushing no longer functioning as designed.

This is why flex joints (RK, Johnny Joint, Metalcloak, etc.) work so much better for any Wrangler which gets flexed.

I'll never understand why an aftermarket company offers lift components with stock bushings. Well, price is the primary factor probably and hoping uneducated buyers won't know any better. But Teraflex will never be considered as a top tier lift by the majority of off roaders.
neither the IR arms nor the track bars use clevite bushings. The track bars use roller bearings - which is what Teraflex told me
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
neither the IR arms nor the track bars use clevite bushings. The track bars use roller bearings - which is what Teraflex told me
You're half right, I should've been more specific: Their non-IR arms use clevite bushings. When I looked at their product page prior to my earlier posting to confirm, their JL track bars list the bushing as factory style rubber bushings. I couldn't find a Teraflex JL track bar which uses anything other than Clevite bushings. From their product description for both front and rear:

FEATURES/BENEFITS

• 50% stronger than factory rear track bar
• Bolts into factory locations or a Rear Track Bar Axle Bracket (2.5-4.5” Lift: # 1953600) – no cutting or welding required
• Adjustable end features an improved turn-buckle design w/ built-in clamp and alignment feature for a hassle-free install and length adjustment
• Adjustable from 0.5” shorter than stock to 1” longer than stock
High-quality, maintenance-free factory-style bushings w/ an additional rate plate for superior handling and responsive control
• OEM-style rubber boots maximize longevity and aid in smooth, quiet operation
• Unique backbone/reinforced rib for additional strength and rigidity
• Clears Tera CRD60 rear differential cover

The issue is when uninformed buyers purchase one of their non-IR equipped kits thinking they are buying a quality suspension system. Only to learn later on their control arm bushings are trash and they have to spend even more money for a set of quality arms with quality joints. For the prices of their non-IR control arms, you can buy much better quality at the same or even lower price.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Check my video previously - they have switched to roller bearings on the forged track bar. They also confirmed to me that these are roller bearing while trying to diagnose the issues with mine. I guess they just haven’t updated the site.

otherwise I wouldn’t have purchased this myself.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Do a quick test for noise - go out to your Jeep, grab the front tow hook on one side and shake the Jeep side to side (fairly violently) to see if your track bar is making noise.
Teraflex told me they hadn’t heard any complaints, but both of my trucks do it. I even sent them a video.
Also, not coming from the adjuster. The adjuster is fully locked up. This is coming from the bearings on the end of the bar.

Teraflex telling you they have not heard of this issue is the biggest pile of bollocks ever.

I personally have pages of back and forth message between their tech support regarding mine.

They are FULLY aware of this issue due to hundreds if not thousands of complaints and returns they’ve done for this trackbar alone. Now they just choose to look the other way instead of addressing the issue.

I was honestly hoping they have addressed it in their newer batches. If they still haven’t, I’m left wondering — WTF have they been doing?

I can’t imagine their head engineer looking at it and be like — “meh, just pretend it’s a non-issue and let them swamp our customer support with complaints and returns!”

Last edited:

Sponsored

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
I have had the Teraflex on mine for over a year and a half and really no noise until a couple of days ago. Called them and their support said that the noise and movement is normal. It uses a roller bearing which I think mine is actually not a roller bearing but the noise is unacceptable. He even said he could send a rubber bushing and that I could press out the roller and press in the rubber. No way I'm doing all of that shit. At that point might as well replace it with something that doesn't make noise. Mystified at the lack of accountability by them for an inferior product, especially at that price point. Who wants their Jeep clunking on every bump or pulling into the driveway and accept that noise. Crock of shit.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I have had the Teraflex on mine for over a year and a half and really no noise until a couple of days ago. Called them and their support said that the noise and movement is normal. It uses a roller bearing which I think mine is actually not a roller bearing but the noise is unacceptable. He even said he could send a rubber bushing and that I could press out the roller and press in the rubber. No way I'm doing all of that shit. At that point might as well replace it with something that doesn't make noise. Mystified at the lack of accountability by them for an inferior product, especially at that price point. Who wants their Jeep clunking on every bump or pulling into the driveway and accept that noise. Crock of shit.
literally exactly what they told me. I laughed at the guy.
The noise isn’t “normal” and moment of the bearing isn’t good. It fundamentally changes the suspension angles (albeit small)

im ordering the @Clayton Off Road stuff Monday, I think. Hopefully they will let my son pick it up.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Mine started making noise the first time I went off road with it, only days after the installation. This is what I have from Teraflex. Apparently they can replace it under warranty under certain conditions, but I don't want the same faulty design.

This is a picture of the frame side joint in the Trackbar the ball design allows the steering to drop without any resistance making it much better than a rubber joint. However if you grab the trackbar and rock it back and forth you will be able to hear it make a noise. This is completely normal. If you feel a click or movement in the steering wheel or the trackbar is making a very loud noise when you are turning the wheel back and forth because it is moving then then it would be considered a bad trackbar that we can warranty out. or we also have the option to send you rubber style bushing to press into frame side of the trackbar that will stop the rocking. I wanted to include the picture so you could see why it rocks. It needs to have that movement to keep it from binding but again if you can rock it with your hand that is normal.

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex Track Bars, Who’s had no issue on your JL? Trackbar bushin

Last edited:

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
My question is this an issue with just their trackbar? I'm looking start updating my current suspension and the IR control arms are on my shortlist and I was going to get the trackbar just to keep everything the same. This thread has really made me think twice about this product!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
If you feel a click or movement in the steering wheel or the trackbar is making a very loud noise when you are turning the wheel back and forth because it is moving then then it would be considered a bad trackbar that we can warranty out.
The problem is, my first track bar made very loud noise when I rock the steering wheel back and forth. So they warrantied it out.

Then the 2nd track bar was making the same noise when turning the steering wheel. If you can rock the track bar with your hand, it will clunk when you turn the steering wheel.

In the end it made no difference how many track bars they send me, it will eventually make the same noise down the road.

Sponsored

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The problem is, my first track bar made very loud noise when I rock the steering wheel back and forth. So they warrantied it out.

Then the 2nd track bar was making the same noise when turning the steering wheel. If you can rock the track bar with your hand, it will clunk when you turn the steering wheel.

In the end it made no difference how many track bars they send me, it will eventually make the same noise down the road.
I agree. That's why I won't even bother with a replacement from them.

Did you get something else?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I agree. That's why I won't even bother with a replacement from them.

Did you get something else?
Not yet, I was trying to find out if they have updated the bushing on newer batches to give them another chance.
But it appears they have not.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Not yet, I was trying to find out if they have updated the bushing on newer batches to give them another chance.
Yeah, unlikely they'll change it.

I don't mind giving them the benefit of the doubt... but why would it be normal to make such a noise? They seem to be saying it's only noise, nothing else, no performance issues... but that doesn't make much sense.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Yeah, unlikely they'll change it.

I don't mind giving them the benefit of the doubt... but why would it be normal to make such a noise? They seem to be saying it's only noise, nothing else, no performance issues... but that doesn't make much sense.
Agreed - noise implies movement. Movement of something that’s intended to be stable is bad.

If I hold my finger on the joint of the bearing while my son shakes it, i can feel it move with the tip of my finger.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I ended up returning the front. Options for the rear are fewer so I’m gonna run it and cross my fingers. I ordered the Yeti.
Sponsored