Sponsored

Teraflex Track Bars, Who’s had no issue on your JL?

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Jam nuts=far more strength. You’ll never convince me that suspension/steering components with pinch bolts will hold up over time.
They’re definitely a convenience and might sacrifice some longevity for some. Everything is a consumable item though.
Sponsored

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Dang it - wish I would have seen this thread before I put in the TF front track bar. I had my son climb in the driver's seat and work the steering wheel, and low and behold - the steering clunk I have been hearing since install is def coming from the track bar. You can reach up and FEEL the clunk in the bar - seems to also be coming from both ends. There seems to be some play in the adjuster nut area as well.

Chrisdupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Dang it - wish I would have seen this thread before I put in the TF front track bar. I had my son climb in the driver's seat and work the steering wheel, and low and behold - the steering clunk I have been hearing since install is def coming from the track bar. You can reach up and FEEL the clunk in the bar - seems to also be coming from both ends. There seems to be some play in the adjuster nut area as well.
That's by design.... :CWL:

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
That's by design.... :CWL:
A feature reminding you of how much you paid for a track bar that’s probably stronger than the points it’s mounted to lol.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
They’re definitely a convenience and might sacrifice some longevity for some. Everything is a consumable item though.
Everyone talks about the convenience. How much are you adjusting them after you get them dialed in? I haven’t touched my control arms or track bars in 3 years. Plenty of people have issues twisting ends on control arms with pinch bolts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Everyone talks about the convenience. How much are you adjusting them after you get them dialed in? I haven’t touched my control arms or track bars in 3 years. Plenty of people have issues twisting ends on control arms with pinch bolts.
I’m not everyone and it’s only once. To some, the install back and forth might be too much of a pain in the ass with no vice on a sturdy and heavy bench.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
For the record...I really wanted to install TF front and rear trackbars to complete my frankenlift. But after hearing/reading about the unresolved clunking issue, I went with front and rear Icon trackbars.

They are adjustable on the vehicle, no jam-nuts, and have a locking system similar to Teraflex's. They are also maintenance free.

They have been 100 solid, quiet and bolts have not moved in 2,500 miles with some serious offroading.

Just providing that as an alternative if you want maintenance free, on-vehicle adjustable and no jam nuts.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
For the record...I really wanted to install TF front and rear trackbars to complete my frankenlift. But after hearing/reading about the unresolved clunking issue, I went with front and rear Icon trackbars.

They are adjustable on the vehicle, no jam-nuts, and have a locking system similar to Teraflex's. They are also maintenance free.

They have been 100 solid, quiet and bolts have not moved in 2,500 miles with some serious offroading.

Just providing that as an alternative if you want maintenance free, on-vehicle adjustable and no jam nuts. They are also always in stock at Quadratec, Northridge, etc. Mine actually arrived too quickly (way ahead of other components that I ordered ahead). :)

astglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I have both TF front and rear. The front does rotate slightly along it's axis. For what it's worth, when first installed I heard noise from the front traction bar for a day or so. I haven't heard it in a while and I went wheeling last weekend, did not hear any noise and I must add, this is the best handling/steering Jeep I have owned.

After installation I initially was so agitated at the rotation that I was going to replace it...and this thread may get me there again :)

Would I buy it again...had I known about this prior to purchase, I would have looked elsewhere.
This is a piece of lousy engineering. The adjustment ability is great. The joint and clearance issues make it a looser for me. After a year of listening to it rattle and actually knock when hitting a sharper obstacle, i took it out and replaced it today. I have all T-Flex Alpine rods etc at all 4 corners. The rest of the radius arms, steering stab etc seem ok. This POS has driven me nuts for a year till I couldn’t stand it anymore.

vsav8r

First Name
Vishal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURd, 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2015 Mercedes G63, 2019 BMW X7, 2015 GMC Sierra HD Denali, 2013 Bentley GTC, 2000 Acura NSX
This is a piece of lousy engineering. The adjustment ability is great. The joint and clearance issues make it a looser for me. After a year of listening to it rattle and actually knock when hitting a sharper obstacle, i took it out and replaced it today. I have all T-Flex Alpine rods etc at all 4 corners. The rest of the radius arms, steering stab etc seem ok. This POS has driven me nuts for a year till I couldn’t stand it anymore.
What did you go with?

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
What did you go with?
I went with Steer Smarts and LOVE it. Plus, when the bushings wear out, you just buy new ones for $35 and have them pressed in.

luna4x4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
When I first installed my Teraflex track bar I noticed some play in it if I grabbed the front of it and tried rotating it back and forth. I called Teraflex support and they confirmed that it was normal due to how the bushings work. I took their advice since it only made noise if I grabbed it and rotated it.

Fast forward almost a year later and it started clunking on me. I swapped it out with a rancho track bar and haven't looked back since.

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I swapped mine for the Rock Krawler one, and it fixed my (relatively minor) wobble.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Why does nobody bring up metalcloak when discussing track bars? Difficulty of install?