Teraflex Tierod Rubbing Stock Wheels

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2019 JLUR
Is anyone running the Teraflex Tierod and stock wheels? I noticed the other day that both wheels will rub the tie rod at full turn.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The rim.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll try to get some pics tonight.

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was easier than I thought to get pictures. The passenger wheel has wheel weights on the edge. Both the wheel and the weights are rubbing the tierod. On the driver side, it is only the wheel that rubs. You can see where the wheel has cut through the coating and has gouged the metal in the tierod.

20220111_091922.jpg

20220111_091853.jpg

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
It was easier than I thought to get pictures. The passenger wheel has wheel weights on the edge. Both the wheel and the weights are rubbing the tierod. On the driver side, it is only the wheel that rubs. You can see where the wheel has cut through the coating and has gouged the metal in the tierod.

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex Tierod Rubbing Stock Wheels 20220111_091853

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex Tierod Rubbing Stock Wheels 20220111_091853
Are your steering stops still stock?

Please reply back here once you get feedback from Teraflex.

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are your steering stops still stock?

Please reply back here once you get feedback from Teraflex.
Yes. Related to suspension, this is what I have done.
Teraflex Tierod and Draglink with stabilizer relocation.
2.5" Spacer Lift under original Rubicon springs
Longer Sway bar links
Longer Bilstein shocks to go with the spacers

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone running the Teraflex Tierod and stock wheels? I noticed the other day that both wheels will rub the tie rod at full turn.
It is not unique to Teraflex. I had the same issue with MetalCloak who attributed it to manufacturing variations by FCA.

I added spacers until I could buy different offset wheels. I have since replaced my steering knuckles and need to try wheels that have stock offset at some point to see if the problem has been solved by changing the steering knuckles.

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those of you who come across this in the future. This seems to be a problem with many upgraded tie rods. It also seems that my wheels, which were simply listed as "17–Inch x 7.5–Inch Black Wheels" on the window sticker may be slightly wider on the outside than others. In any case Teraflex offered me a few suggestions, including wheel spacers, adding a washer to the steering stop or getting wheels with a greater offset. I think replacing the wheels would have been the best option, but I'm not ready for that right now. I opted to add a thin washer behind the steering stop and that resolved the rubbing issue at the expense of an unnoticeable increase in turn radius. Thanks to Teraflex for the great support.

All of that said, I'd have to say these are some beefy parts. I'm only at 9500 miles and the stock drag link was showing some wear that was causing steering wheel oscillation every time I hit a bump. That is gone now. I like the idea of being able to tighten the ball joints as they wear rather than waiting for it to become a problem and replacing the entire joint.

I'm going to add the Teraflex track bar next as I know the stock track bar will be the next to give me trouble.

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex Tierod Rubbing Stock Wheels 20211224_101356

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex Tierod Rubbing Stock Wheels 20211224_092923

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you who come across this in the future. This seems to be a problem with many upgraded tie rods. It also seems that my wheels, which were simply listed as "17–Inch x 7.5–Inch Black Wheels" on the window sticker may be slightly wider on the outside than others. In any case Teraflex offered me a few suggestions, including wheel spacers, adding a washer to the steering stop or getting wheels with a greater offset. I think replacing the wheels would have been the best option, but I'm not ready for that right now. I opted to add a thin washer behind the steering stop and that resolved the rubbing issue at the expense of an unnoticeable increase in turn radius. Thanks to Teraflex for the great support.

All of that said, I'd have to say these are some beefy parts. I'm only at 9500 miles and the stock drag link was showing some wear that was causing steering wheel oscillation every time I hit a bump. That is gone now. I like the idea of being able to tighten the ball joints as they wear rather than waiting for it to become a problem and replacing the entire joint.

I'm going to add the Teraflex track bar next as I know the stock track bar will be the next to give me trouble.

Glad to hear you have your tie rod issues corrected at least temporarily.

I'm planning to install a Teraflex 2.5 lift but also want to upgrade my tie rod and drag link. Are you pretty happy with the Teraflex TR and DL?

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only issue that I have had is the clamp loosening on the Drag Link. Make sure you have a 12 point 10 mm socket and an adapter to a 1/2 inch torque wrench. It is important to get them torqued evenly to 65 ft lbs.
Sponsored