Teraflex JL HD Aluminum Hinged Tire Carrier Kit

Mac13

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Is it just me or was this not drilled out by Teraflex? Lot of work to get to this point and have to stop. Would you go ahead and drill it out or request a new one to be sent. I am not really looking forward to reversing everything to go back with the OEM parts at this point. If I drill it out do you think I will have any issues or should I really wait and see what Teraflex recommends?

1D9C5FA8-6967-4BB0-89F8-B9C0274078A2.jpeg

F4DAAFAA-FB82-41F4-9C5C-05806AE42DCE.jpeg
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Should be easy to drill out, but that's definitely a manufacturing mistake.

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
Is it just me or was this not drilled out by Teraflex? Lot of work to get to this point and have to stop. Would you go ahead and drill it out or request a new one to be sent. I am not really looking forward to reversing everything to go back with the OEM parts at this point. If I drill it out do you think I will have any issues or should I really wait and see what Teraflex recommends?

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex JL HD Aluminum Hinged Tire Carrier Kit F4DAAFAA-FB82-41F4-9C5C-05806AE42DCE

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex JL HD Aluminum Hinged Tire Carrier Kit F4DAAFAA-FB82-41F4-9C5C-05806AE42DCE
Mac13, did you get this resolved?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Made in China quality.

Sponsored

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Did you tighten the carrier on the hinge side???? Keep everything finger tight, so you can move it around, so that you can line up the holes.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The part in question is actually a US sourced part. Regardless, it's not supposed to look like that regardless of the place of origin.
Please post your supplier who does your castings, as well pictures of the line, and proof of US manufacture.

If not you are just playing the "US Sourced" games like you have in the past.

OP
OP
Mac13

Mac13

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Mac13, did you get this resolved?
Someone from customer service has reach out to me offering to replace it. I am just not sure that it will support the weight. It is promoted to accommodate up to a 40" tire, however I can not find anything that states the weight restrictions. I have adjusted it 3 times and tightened the bolts to the recommended specs, however it does not hold. After each adjustment it continued to make a very loud noise when opening and closing as the latch will not line up.

I am running 18X9.5 -18mm offset Black Rhino Fury wheels that weigh 40.33 lbs. wrapped with 37X12. 50R18 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's that weigh 85.5 lbs. for a total of just over 125 lbs.

I would think the Alpha HD Hinged Spare Tire Carrier used with the Adjustable Spare Tire Mount Kit would support this weight and more as it appears to be engineered extremely well and it looks great.

Unfortunately, I believe I am going to have to switch it out in hopes the replacement will work properly as I really don't want to go another direction.

I would like someone from TeraFlex to confirm that 125 lbs is well within the weight tolerance prior to investing the time to switch them out.

OP
OP
Mac13

Mac13

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Did you tighten the carrier on the hinge side???? Keep everything finger tight, so you can move it around, so that you can line up the holes.
I did each time. I have watched their video over and over.

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
Please post your supplier who does your castings, as well pictures of the line, and proof of US manufacture.

If not you are just playing the "US Sourced" games like you have in the past.
I am not at liberty to discuss our supplier's info and the related confidential processes. We do our best to use local suppliers here in Utah and around the United States as much as possible. Things like our powder coatings, packaging, hardware, and a bunch of other items etc are all locally sourced from near us. We do source parts globally on a few different items, as we use suppliers that meet our quality control and material standards to ensure the best long term product and usage.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
I would like someone from TeraFlex to confirm that 125 lbs is well within the weight tolerance prior to investing the time to switch them out.
125 lbs should not be an issue when mounted correctly and properly. We don't have an exact weight rating, but we have 5+ company Jeeps that have been running '40 inch tires on our Nomad wheels and other bead lock wheels for over a year without issues.

OP
OP
Mac13

Mac13

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
125 lbs should not be an issue when mounted correctly and properly. We don't have an exact weight rating, but we have 5+ company Jeeps that have been running '40 inch tires on our Nomad wheels and other bead lock wheels for over a year without issues.
Thank you for your follow up. I truly appreciate it as there are too many companies now days that just move forward with business and don't take the time to address issues people have.

Wightmn

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I had a 38 x 15.5 Toyo Open Country MT on an ATX Slab bead lock on my JK Teraflex mount. It held up great. New JL setup is doing well so far.
Sponsored