cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
Hi,
You mentioned that if my carrier didn't come with this adapter you could send me one? I'm wondering if that would be possible? I ordered mine from Northridge a few months ago and there is no adapter. Please let me know.

Thank you.
If you call their customer service number on the site they will get one out to you quick
Sponsored

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
Hi,
You mentioned that if my carrier didn't come with this adapter you could send me one? I'm wondering if that would be possible? I ordered mine from Northridge a few months ago and there is no adapter. Please let me know.

Thank you.
That is correct, we can get one sent out to you no problem at all. If you haven't already, just either shoot me a direct message on here, give us a direct call, or hit up the [email protected] email and we can get you taken care of.

Last edited:

chwdg10

First Name
Chelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
I managed to break a bolt out of the 8 for the carrier. I think my torque wrench is messed up. I remember thinking "seems to be a lot of turns for 25 ft/lbs", but I really wasn't paying attention, my mind was all over the place... until the loud bang of the breaking bolt woke me up. After that, I just went by feeling for the remaining bolts.

Other than that, I didn't need any shims, which is good, because I didn't have any. I got tired of fooling around with the tailgate little by little, so eventually I had a friend hold it open and I tightened the bolts. This took 3 minutes versus the hour I spent with small adjustments.
Just installed the kit and this EXACT same thing happened to me. Completely snapped one of the bolts using a torque wrench set to 25 ft/lbs and it never clicked! So frustrating.

Also had the detent arm completely bend when trying to install it onto the tailgate door/detent rollers. Followed both the YT install video and the paper instructions. Going to have to contact @TeraFlex for a new one. Wish this install had gone a little more smoothly.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just installed the kit and this EXACT same thing happened to me. Completely snapped one of the bolts using a torque wrench set to 25 ft/lbs and it never clicked! So frustrating.

Also had the detent arm completely bend when trying to install it onto the tailgate door/detent rollers. Followed both the YT install video and the paper instructions. Going to have to contact @TeraFlex for a new one. Wish this install had gone a little more smoothly.
Was it the torque wrench or the bolt that was the issue?

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Sounds like a wrench issue. I had no issues installing it on my Mopar reinforced tailgate. 108 lbs. of tire and wheel on the back since March. No issues.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Sounds like a wrench issue. I had no issues installing it on my Mopar reinforced tailgate. 108 lbs. of tire and wheel on the back since March. No issues.
So, either the bolts are out of spec or I wanna know what torque wrenches not to buy.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

So, either the bolts are out of spec or I wanna know what torque wrenches not to buy.
Torque wrenches are tricky. Did a ton of google research before I picked up a craftsman wrench. Went that way because I liked the way you set torque and didn’t have to worry about accidentally adjusting it while cranking down bolts at odd angles.

It’s a good middle of the road on price, quality, and accuracy, but from my googling Snap-On is the only one that was still in spec after 1000 uses…

$400 for a wrench is a bit out of my price range though… the DeWalt and ICON (harbor freight) had decent reviews as well.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
@TeraFlex quick question post install...

My install went well, but I've just noticed that the top hinge is about 1/4" away from the tailgate body, and the lower hinge is snug against the tailgate body.

There is a slight creek/squeek when opening and closing the tailgate, but otherwise the body lines all line up and it seems sturdy.

Question: Would you advise re-seating the hinges such that they are both snug against the gate?

I'd hate to redo it, but I figured I'd ask the engineers/experts if that slight angle between the two hinges would be of concern over time...

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex HD Alpha tire carrier with reinforcement 20220806_163240

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Torque wrenches are tricky. Did a ton of google research before I picked up a craftsman wrench. Went that way because I liked the way you set torque and didn’t have to worry about accidentally adjusting it while cranking down bolts at odd angles.

It’s a good middle of the road on price, quality, and accuracy, but from my googling Snap-On is the only one that was still in spec after 1000 uses…

$400 for a wrench is a bit out of my price range though… the DeWalt and ICON (harbor freight) had decent reviews as well.
I have a couple of Proto torque wrenches that I trust.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

My install went well, but I've just noticed that the top hinge is about 1/4" away from the tailgate body, and the lower hinge is snug against the tailgate body.

There is a slight creek/squeek when opening and closing the tailgate, but otherwise the body lines all line up and it seems sturdy.

Question: Would you advise re-seating the hinges such that they are both snug against the gate?

I'd hate to redo it, but I figured I'd ask the engineers/experts if that slight angle between the two hinges would be of concern over time...

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex HD Alpha tire carrier with reinforcement 20220806_163256

When your tailgate is closed, is the lower edge set inward towards the front of your Jeep compared to the top? You may have your up/down dialed in, but you can adjust in/out (while the tailgate is closed) on both the top and bottom.

If everything’s flush, I wouldn’t worry about it. Even if it’s not flush, this tire carrier is so beefy it’s probably not a major concern.

I was rear ended and my tailgate with the factory hinges was knocked out alignment and looked just like that. Made a little bit of noise, but had no issues for several months. Probably would have been fine longer, but I upgraded.

Sponsored

chwdg10

First Name
Chelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
When your tailgate is closed, is the lower edge set inward towards the front of your Jeep compared to the top? You may have your up/down dialed in, but you can adjust in/out (while the tailgate is closed) on both the top and bottom.

If everything’s flush, I wouldn’t worry about it. Even if it’s not flush, this tire carrier is so beefy it’s probably not a major concern.

I was rear ended and my tailgate with the factory hinges was knocked out alignment and looked just like that. Made a little bit of noise, but had no issues for several months. Probably would have been fine longer, but I upgraded.
It's pretty flush on the bottom. If I had to say it's pushed in, then I would say it's inward by 1/16" at most... going by my eyecrometer and digitmeasure instruments.

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK

20220806_163240.jpg

I wouldn't worry about the slight gap on the top if everything is in alignment. On some Jeep's and installs thin shims are used in that exact location tp help align the tailgate, so it's not anything I would say is out of the ordinary. It may be worth double checking the alignment of the tailgate and related parts, but strictly speaking you're okay. The bushings in the tailgate are Teflon lined, so if you use any lube make sure it's a silicone, lithium, or a non petroleum base grease.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't worry about the slight gap on the top if everything is in alignment. On some Jeep's and installs thin shims are used in that exact location tp help align the tailgate, so it's not anything I would say is out of the ordinary. It may be worth double checking the alignment of the tailgate and related parts, but strictly speaking you're okay. The bushings in the tailgate are Teflon lined, so if you use any lube make sure it's a silicone, lithium, or a non petroleum base grease.
Thanks for the reply. That actually answers a question I planned on calling about for the bushings. :)

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
@TeraFlex last March I added the tire carrier to my tailgate that came with a Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit that was factory installed. I am running a Mopar accessory wheel with a 37x12.5x17 BFG KO2. Per the Mopar and BFG sites this combo weighs 108 lbs. I used the studs in the middle position per the instructions and I am beginning to notice some deflection of the tailgate. Top left (drivers side) of the tailgate is farther out from the tub and the bottom left is slightly in from the tub. From the side it seems that the total weight is twisting the gate clockwise. Any ideas on how to correct this? I emailed support with this question before installation and 108 lbs was ok with this setup.
Sponsored