Teraflex HD Alpha tire carrier with reinforcement

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm going to install my shims this weekend. Where did you install your shims for best results?
Two shims on the bottom. I tried three and it was too much, even with a heavy Nitto 37 and KMC headlocks. The top doesn’t need to be shimmed.
Sponsored

Sponsored

laraza2k1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4X4 2019 2 Door
I reached out to Teraflex and asked for the shims. They promptly sent them in the mail, no questions asked. Great service.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Where are you guys shimmying? I gave it another couple of hours this morning with the help of a friend. I eventually had to give up. Everything is on, mounted, and torqued down for now. When I open the door it will sag a little bit, but I can still close it. I guess it's going to stay that way for now until I have the patience to deal with it again. My biggest problem is the gap in the top right corner. I feel like in order to raise the top left corner it keeps pinching in on the top right to the point where it's starting to scratch my paint. Had to add masking tape around the edges of the whole tailgate. Pics are with 37" KO2s

20210620_112612.jpg
Wow, on mine there are 3/4" gaps between the body and carrier, where the two hinges go into the body. I don't know why... The 6 hinge bolts are snug.

I'm still at the stage where I'm adjusting over and over, but this picture helps a lot. Now I know that somehow there shouldn't be any gaps.

Last edited:

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I managed to break a bolt out of the 8 for the carrier. I think my torque wrench is messed up. I remember thinking "seems to be a lot of turns for 25 ft/lbs", but I really wasn't paying attention, my mind was all over the place... until the loud bang of the breaking bolt woke me up. After that, I just went by feeling for the remaining bolts.

Other than that, I didn't need any shims, which is good, because I didn't have any. I got tired of fooling around with the tailgate little by little, so eventually I had a friend hold it open and I tightened the bolts. This took 3 minutes versus the hour I spent with small adjustments.

Sponsored

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
As an update with info to provide some insight, we did a running production change on our tailgate reinforcements so that the bolt hole openings for the tire carrier are elongated/slotted to better help with the final tailgate to body adjustments, so shimming should not be needed or required.
However, if anyone is having issues adjusting the tailgate with our HD reinforcement please feel free to reach out to us; for we do have shims like what have been discussed in this thread that help with the final adjustment. We can get them sent out free of charge.

Hercules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram 2500 Longhorn, 2022 JLURD
After reading this thread, I was covinced design problems solved, and ordered the HD hinge and tire Carrier. Carrier install went ok, but the hinge was not so good. I’m only going up to 35s (100lbs vs 75 stock wheel). I followed the oversized tire fitting instructions to get the door up higher to offset for the weight. I can’t for the life of me get it past the original line on the driver side. The passenger side top is close to having no room, so I don’t know if there’s any adjustment left. Did I miss something? Do I need a shim and start all over? Also, after I got it as best I could, I went to install the dentent arm. When I closed the door, the arm didn’t go in, just bent in half. No idea what happened there. Follow the instructions. Looking for help.

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
After reading this thread, I was covinced design problems solved, and ordered the HD hinge and tire Carrier. Carrier install went ok, but the hinge was not so good. I’m only going up to 35s (100lbs vs 75 stock wheel). I followed the oversized tire fitting instructions to get the door up higher to offset for the weight. I can’t for the life of me get it past the original line on the driver side. The passenger side top is close to having no room, so I don’t know if there’s any adjustment left. Did I miss something? Do I need a shim and start all over? Also, after I got it as best I could, I went to install the dentent arm. When I closed the door, the arm didn’t go in, just bent in half. No idea what happened there. Follow the instructions. Looking for help.
Hercules, I am sorry to hear you are having issues with our kit! If you can, either shoot us a message here the forum page or reach out to our [email protected] and I'll get you a new detent arm and some shims sent out to you.

RabidBear

First Name
Rabid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Staff Software Engineer / DBA / SQL / ETL Developer
Wow, on mine there are 3/4" gaps between the body and carrier, where the two hinges go into the body. I don't know why... The 6 hinge bolts are snug.

I'm still at the stage where I'm adjusting over and over, but this picture helps a lot. Now I know that somehow there shouldn't be any gaps.

I have the same issue on mine. Gaps or holes top and bottom of the hinge going straight into the body. Looks incomplete, like it should have some sort of grommet to keep the elements out of there. I was in West Jordan a few weeks ago and looking at the Teraflex fleet in their parking lot and their JL Snazzberry had the exact same gaps.

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
I have the same issue on mine. Gaps or holes top and bottom of the hinge going straight into the body. Looks incomplete, like it should have some sort of grommet to keep the elements out of there. I was in West Jordan a few weeks ago and looking at the Teraflex fleet in their parking lot and their JL Snazzberry had the exact same gaps.
I can shed some light on the reason there is a gap. We have the small gap between the body and the hinge to allow for movement and adjustment of the hinge in relation to the tailgate and body. We also found that during testing and development that there is enough variation in the production of the JL body tubs and tailgate tolerances through the years of production that if the gap was smaller it could allow the hinge to come into contact with the body on some JL's. As a result the gap was needed to ensure that the hinge will not contact or damage the body. As far as water or material entering the gaps, it isn't an issue for that area is not sealed from the factory, and anything that may enter that area just falls out or drains out the bottom.
Sponsored