Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that is a 35. I bought it because they said it is capable of a 40" tire. I had it installed by the guy who does all the work on my jeep so I am not sure how long it took him.
Capable of a 40'' with 'optional' tire carrier *and* riser lol
Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Ok so I installed it tonight, it wasn't to bad. The tailgate kept it's alignment pretty well. Tightening the hing bolts in the inside was a pain. I have to figure out how to wire the brake light better and install the hi lift. Will post pics tomorrow.

Rattles less then the mopar, and conveniently dropped the tire a bit so I have more window space. I wasn't expecting that!

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Picture time! The bolts for the hi lift mount didn't go in all the way.

20210610_162047.jpg

20210610_162042.jpg

20210610_161651.jpg

20210610_161359.jpg

20210610_161351.jpg

20210610_161345.jpg

20210610_161340.jpg

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Ok! Finally got home and put my jack and rotopax on. I love it!

Just enough clearance at full open

20210610_181255.jpg

20210610_181310.jpg

Chrisdupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Got mine yesterday and installed today. I went through the loosen bolts, re-align, tighten, install tire, try again process like 10 times and I get the same exact results every time. My tailgate still sags under the weight of my spare and closes just as rough as it did prior to the reinforcement. 😡😡😡

Anyone else have similar results? Or is it just me?

Sponsored

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Got mine yesterday and installed today. I went through the loosen bolts, re-align, tighten, install tire, try again process like 10 times and I get the same exact results every time. My tailgate still sags under the weight of my spare and closes just as rough as it did prior to the reinforcement. 😡😡😡

Anyone else have similar results? Or is it just me?
Sounds like something isn’t tight if it’s sagging down when you open it. Take the tire down and open it and try to wiggle the tailgate up and down while looking/feeling for movement.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
So the tailgate vents are just open to the elements?

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Don't think they are any more open then from the stock carrier, but yes.

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
Is that a 35” tire? If so, it will def need an aftermarket carrier for 37s.
I think his 35 is sitting low because the carrier is adjustable. I actually plan to mount my 37 ko2 on the stock carrier temporarily.

I've verified with a couple of other members that it does fit.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
My pics are a 35 mounted on the middle holes. It barely clears the bumper, but I like it. It gives more window space.

20210612_202552.jpg

Sponsored

Chrisdupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like something isn’t tight if it’s sagging down when you open it. Take the tire down and open it and try to wiggle the tailgate up and down while looking/feeling for movement.
Yeah, everything is torqued. It is pretty solid, no noise driving down the road. It’s just the adjustment process doesn’t seem to work for me. Based on the instructions it seems there should be some movement allowed between the tailgate and the carrier when you loosen the bolts. But when I loosen everything up and try to raise the tailgate then tighten everything back up it doesn’t change anything.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Yeah, everything is torqued. It is pretty solid, no noise driving down the road. It’s just the adjustment process doesn’t seem to work for me. Based on the instructions it seems there should be some movement allowed between the tailgate and the carrier when you loosen the bolts. But when I loosen everything up and try to raise the tailgate then tighten everything back up it doesn’t change anything.
Have you tried adjusting it with the tailgate closed? So it stays in the position you want it and then tighten the bolts? Idk if that’s even possible but just a thought. That’s how the JK ones were aligned. Idk how different this one is

Timgco

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have the Teraflex tire carrier and mopar hinge. Same thing happened to me and another buddy. You have to shim the drivers side up higher So when the weight of the tire is on, it lines up with guide block. It’s a pita, but once you get dialed in, it’s solid. Just keep shimming the drivers side up higher.

Chrisdupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Teraflex tire carrier and mopar hinge. Same thing happened to me and another buddy. You have to shim the drivers side up higher So when the weight of the tire is on, it lines up with guide block. It’s a pita, but once you get dialed in, it’s solid. Just keep shimming the drivers side up higher.
Hmmmm…. Where are you shimming? I considered shimming the lower mount (where it attaches with 3 bolts inside the body) to tilt the whole thing a bit.

when I loosen everything I have someone lift up on the drivers side of the tailgate then I tighten everything back down. That’s doesn’t fix it. There just doesn't seem to be enough wiggle room between the bracket/reinforcement and the mounting hardware.

Timgco

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hmmmm…. Where are you shimming? I considered shimming the lower mount (where it attaches with 3 bolts inside the body) to tilt the whole thing a bit.

when I loosen everything I have someone lift up on the drivers side of the tailgate then I tighten everything back down. That’s doesn’t fix it. There just doesn't seem to be enough wiggle room between the bracket/reinforcement and the mounting hardware.
I placed wood shims under the tailgate to raise it 1/4” from where it was. First use blue painters tape across both body panel to tailgate. Do this on both driver side and passenger side. draw a horizontal line with a sharpie. Than cut the tape down between the panels. Take your spare off. Check to see if the lines are still even on both sides of tailgate. If it sagged and the lines don’t lineup, you know it is sagging. If they are lined up, than you know you need to keep the passenger side in place (don’t let it move) and raise the drivers side up a 14” by loosening all mounting bolts. You’ll have to remove the tire carrier to get to all the bolts though. Just make Sutherland drivers side line comes up 1/4”.

than put everything back together and tire back on. See
what happens to the lines on the blue painters tape when closing. If it still makes a bunch of noice, you’ll need to raise your striker plate. If you loosen them up slightly and raise it up, than close the door into place slowly. Keep in mind, you’re loosening the bolts just enough so the sticker plate will move and stay in place when you shut the door. When you open the door, help with the weight of the tire so the sticker plate can remain in place. Torque the bolts back down.
That’s the best I can explain it Without showing a video. And I’m not taking mine back off until I’m done with my trip. Lol.
Sponsored

Last edited: