Teraflex HD Alpha tire carrier with reinforcement

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm going to install my shims this weekend. Where did you install your shims for best results?
Two shims on the bottom. I tried three and it was too much, even with a heavy Nitto 37 and KMC headlocks. The top doesn’t need to be shimmed.
Advertisement

SaltyWet

First Name
Oscar
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Two shims on the bottom. I tried three and it was too much, even with a heavy Nitto 37 and KMC headlocks. The top doesn’t need to be shimmed.
Did you get the teraflex shims or motobilt ones?

laraza2k1

First Name
Alex
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4X4 2019 2 Door
I reached out to Teraflex and asked for the shims. They promptly sent them in the mail, no questions asked. Great service.

aro

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Where are you guys shimmying? I gave it another couple of hours this morning with the help of a friend. I eventually had to give up. Everything is on, mounted, and torqued down for now. When I open the door it will sag a little bit, but I can still close it. I guess it's going to stay that way for now until I have the patience to deal with it again. My biggest problem is the gap in the top right corner. I feel like in order to raise the top left corner it keeps pinching in on the top right to the point where it's starting to scratch my paint. Had to add masking tape around the edges of the whole tailgate. Pics are with 37" KO2s

20210620_112612.jpg
Wow, on mine there are 3/4" gaps between the body and carrier, where the two hinges go into the body. I don't know why... The 6 hinge bolts are snug.

I'm still at the stage where I'm adjusting over and over, but this picture helps a lot. Now I know that somehow there shouldn't be any gaps.

Last edited:

aro

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I managed to break a bolt out of the 8 for the carrier. I think my torque wrench is messed up. I remember thinking "seems to be a lot of turns for 25 ft/lbs", but I really wasn't paying attention, my mind was all over the place... until the loud bang of the breaking bolt woke me up. After that, I just went by feeling for the remaining bolts.

Other than that, I didn't need any shims, which is good, because I didn't have any. I got tired of fooling around with the tailgate little by little, so eventually I had a friend hold it open and I tightened the bolts. This took 3 minutes versus the hour I spent with small adjustments.

Advertisement

D&C Designs

Advertisement