Sponsored

Teraflex Alpha HD Tire Carrier with RedRock Tailgate Reinforcement

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
Has anyone done this combination for their tire carrier setup?

Teraflex Alpha HD tire carrier with a RedRock tailgate reinforcement plate. Did you like it? Was the plate necessary or was the Alpha HD sufficient? Running 315s right now with a tire wheel combo of about 98 lbs.

The plate doesn’t come with extended bolts for tire carrier so wasn’t sure if I needed extended hardware due to the spacer of the plate. Did you buy new hardware?

I ordered a plate but second guessing myself now on whether I need it. Hell, maybe all the plate does is add more weight to the damn hinge itself! Yet, seems like a lot of people use them for the JL.

Did anyone use a metal reinforcement plate with the Alpha for 315s or is the alpha by itself sufficient? I ordered a plate but second guessing myself now on whether I need it. And the plate doesn’t have extended hardware for the carrier so worried about it threading in deep enough. Hell, maybe all the plate does is add more weight to the damn hinge itself!

I’ve bounced back and forth considering various tire carriers over
the months.
Metalcloak Sports gate (really liked this one)
Rugged Ridge Spartacus
Maximus-3
Rusty’s
Motobilt
Cavfab

Was really impressed with all these but maybe (most likely) I am over thinking this whole thing. I am mainly looking to get my tire a little higher and tight to the tailgate to avoid the cantilevered stress.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BamaJeep

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
I guess my fear is: I create a problem (a rattle) where I originally had none. All because I fiddled with the hinges installing a reinforcement plate when in reality, I was probably fine just putting the Alpha carrier on and leaving the stock hinges alone given my current wheel/tire weight combo.

Bekser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR Sarge Green 6MT
I was considering the same option. Teraflex says their hinge tire carrier won't be out until June.

I have method 316+bfg 35's for a 88lb spare tire and a 20lb front runner tailgate table on the inside.

I have been carefully watching the tailgate and looking for any sign of flexing or bouncing around but nothing so far. I'm inclined to wait till June. the redrock reinforcement doesn't seem like it would do much anyway
Sponsored