Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I tried installing the Teraflex Alpha HD Spare Tire Carrier last week only to discover the housing doesn't fit 2021 models, as Jeep update the camera. There is no way to get the camera to stay put in the housing. Teraflex says they know it is an issue but don't have a solution. They suggested "you can solve this with a small spacer or something" though I don't think my "small spacer or something" bin in the garage or pantry has a spacer with 3 properly spaced holes and small T8 bolts.

Pretty disappointed that both of the Teraflex products I bought for this Jeep haven't worked or fit properly. Seems like they were better for the JK than the JL. Waste of my time and money so far.
Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex Alpha HD Tire Carrier Doesn't Work for 2021 IMG_20201202_173226
Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Teraflex can't help that FCA updated something. I have the carrier on my 20 and it worked beautifully. Hopefully they add something to their site that says it won't work for the 21 model (if they haven't). Have you asked them (or whoever you bought it from) if its returnable?

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I tried installing the Teraflex Alpha HD Spare Tire Carrier last week only to discover the housing doesn't fit 2021 models, as Jeep update the camera. There is no way to get the camera to stay put in the housing. Teraflex says they know it is an issue but don't have a solution. They suggested "you can solve this with a small spacer or something" though I don't think my "small spacer or something" bin in the garage or pantry has a spacer with 3 properly spaced holes and small T8 bolts.

Pretty disappointed that both of the Teraflex products I bought for this Jeep haven't worked or fit properly. Seems like they were better for the JK than the JL. Waste of my time and money so far.
Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex Alpha HD Tire Carrier Doesn't Work for 2021 IMG_20201202_173226
That is a real shame because it is my favorite of all the tire carriers out there right now. Hopefully, they will have a solution for the 21 MY soon.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
They can't help it, but they can stop saying it works and selling it for '21 models. They know it is an issue but say they are months away from a solution. It is going back today.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
They can't help it, but they can stop saying it works and selling it for '21 models. They know it is an issue but say they are months away from a solution. It is going back today.
If I were Teraflex I wouldn't assume something as small as the camera would get updated like that. They probably don't buy every year model of a vehicle to ensure fitment like that. I bet they will now update the site to say it doesn't work and hopefully other retailers (quadratec, northridge, etc) update their product pages with Teraflex's notes. I believe they have a forum account, you could tag them and let them know to update the site.

Sponsored

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a Teraflex Spare Tire on my new 2021 and ran into the same problem. I was able to easily secure it in the housing by surrounding the plastic camera box with 3m adhesive foam tape and that has held up great since. It sounds like OP sent his back but the reality is that ALL aftermarket spare carriers that involve changing the camera will not work without some modification on 2021's for now.

I wouldn't expect Teraflex to know that the camera had been changed since it is such a small detail.

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex Alpha HD Tire Carrier Doesn't Work for 2021 4B67707C-EE46-4A3C-AF15-0E830A0AAFF5

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex Alpha HD Tire Carrier Doesn't Work for 2021 E100C9D6-FC1C-40F4-9CF6-0B8085C3C02A

Last edited:

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Bummer. There's a used OEM camera on eBay right now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-2021-...392993439720?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

No idea if it'll work with you existing wires/harness, but the seller has some pretty good pics. Good luck.

These little issues are why I'm starting to hoard the dense black foam packing pieces that come with electronics and what-nots today. You never know when you're gonna have to MacGuyver something to work.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Glad I caught this as I wanted to get the Vector Plate/Light/Camera mount that uses the teraflex camera housing. Looks like some McGuyver skills will be needed until an update is made.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
From a manufacturing perspective if the new camera is swappable with the old camera on stock equipment there’s no guarantee that some 2021 units will have the new camera while some have the old. Could be a mid-cycle cut in at the factory or there still might be agreement with existing supplier to receive more of the old cameras for quite some time and ramp down rather than cut off. Again, as long as the fit and function does not impact the OEM mounting one might not know if a given ‘21 will or will not be compatible. Can’t imagine there are too many people with both a ‘21 JL and an older JL and have also happened to dismantle the camera assembly and therefore could chime in here. Jeep of course has no obligation to share such details with aftermarket vendors if they don’t want to. Waiting to hear more details on the forum here as the community uncovers the facts ...

Sponsored

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I did not find this too big of a hassle when I was installing mine. I actually just let the camera dangle until the next day when I thought of using the 3m foam tape to secure the camera. I only needed a razor blade, small screwdriver and 3m tape... not too technical.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

IMG_20201202_173226.jpg
GearWhore,
That's odd. Mine went on fine, and I can usually be counted on to trip over any challenges put in my way during a DIY project. I wonder why mine worked?

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
I have the carrier on my 2019 and fitment was perfect. I understand there’s been a change, but all of my Teraflex stuff has been outstanding for my JK and 2019 JL stuff so far.

I believe them to be one of the upper tier companies and I’m hopeful they‘ll fix the problem soon and make it right for the OP and other 2021 owners who came across this challenge. I’m considering a 2021-2022 upgrade to 392 or 4xe so I might run into the same problem if I uninstall it from my 2019 and carry it forward following the trade-in.

Appreciate the heads-up!

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer installed mine on my 2021 JLUR 3 weeks ago and had no issues. I know them and they would have said something.

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
Just spoke to terflex. Yes 2021's have a different camera mount. A replacement adapter is being prepared and should be available January 2021 according to Teraflex. In the meantime I have to rig my camera however I can. Notice one screw holding metal securing bar in place. Difficult removing camera from plastic housing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex Alpha HD Tire Carrier Doesn't Work for 2021 cammount2
Sponsored