Sponsored

Teraflex Alpha HD adjustable spare tire mount?

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
In terms of ability to handle weight, I think that the most important part is to get the spare as close as possible to the tailgate to reduce leverage. The Teraflex is great in that department.
Sponsored

keithd60

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon2020 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
REALTOR®

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Having some trouble with my Teraflex Alpha carrier....

Previously had a 37" tire installed on the factory carrier with the Mopar relocation and tailgate reinforcement. Worked great for a year. Zero problems and zero noise.

Just recently installed the Teraflex Alpha to plan for new wheels with a difference offset. Now the tailgate is flexing slightly and making noise against the gasket to the glass.

Do I need to adjust it differently? I torqued everything to spec. I feel I have it tight against the rubber bump stops, although I'd like to pull in tighter. Any suggestions? Does anyone else make noise? Seemed like a simple install but not super happy with the result. Hoping it is just a setup issue.

Thanks.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Having some trouble with my Teraflex Alpha carrier....

Previously had a 37" tire installed on the factory carrier with the Mopar relocation and tailgate reinforcement. Worked great for a year. Zero problems and zero noise.

Just recently installed the Teraflex Alpha to plan for new wheels with a difference offset. Now the tailgate is flexing slightly and making noise against the gasket to the glass.

Do I need to adjust it differently? I torqued everything to spec. I feel I have it tight against the rubber bump stops, although I'd like to pull in tighter. Any suggestions? Does anyone else make noise? Seemed like a simple install but not super happy with the result. Hoping it is just a setup issue.

Thanks.
Are you sure it’s not your tailgate itself? The flexing and noise (from the tailgate) are what has me wondering. Are you running a tailgate reinforcement product?

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Are you sure it’s not your tailgate itself? The flexing and noise (from the tailgate) are what has me wondering. Are you running a tailgate reinforcement product?
The noise is the tailgate moving against the weather stripping on the window gasket. But basically the tailgate is flexing now and wasn't before.

Do I need it tighter against the rubber bump stops? or is it too tight?

The Mopar tailgate reinforcement has been installed since new. Nothing else has changed but the carrier. Seems weird the "stronger" mount would cause more flex in the tailgate itself. Hoping I just need to adjust.
Sponsored