TeraFlex Adjustable Spare Tire Kit Install How-To

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL unlimited Rubicon
We have these in stock and ready to ship. There is no Backorder.
The rugged ridge hinge reinforcement is on manufacturer backorder or delay. I ordered 4/11 and still waiting. I’ve already talked to Northridge customer support this week. They said RR told them 2-3 weeks out.

BUT I’ll still stick with Northridge Bc you guys are awesome!
Sponsored

laraza2k1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4X4 2019 2 Door
I wish I found this tutorial before I installed, but aside a few minor hiccups... very pleased with this setup. I contacted Teraflex on when a matching hinge reinforcement for the Alpha HD tire carrier would be available and they responded not till next year. The only change I would make is somehow have the brake light disconnect a little easier to access. Not that your gonna be pulling your spare tire off very often, but it is a little tricky to connect/disconnect the power. May fab up my own quick disconnect for the brake light.

20190813_105143b.jpg

NMElkHunter

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I have a Rubicon with the stock 33" tires but need to get my spare mounted higher so that I can tow a Hiker Trailer using a Max Coupler. Currently I need to remove the spare to make it work. Could I use the mounting holes for a 37" tire for my 33" spare without causing any damage?

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
@NMElkHunter, That shouldn't cause any problems what so ever. The height adjustment is only there so the larger tires can clear the rear bumper.

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
Much thanks to @Tech Tim and the rest of team at @Northridge4x4 for quick shipping, great pricing and in-depth install instructions! Got mine installed last night!
The best thing about this Teraflex spare tire carrier is just how tight to the tail gate you can get the tire.

Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Folks in thread mentioned coupling the Teraflex Alpha tire carrier with the rugged ridge tailgate reinforcement bracket. Has anyone done this successfully yet?

aerosynch

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Folks in thread mentioned coupling the Teraflex Alpha tire carrier with the rugged ridge tailgate reinforcement bracket. Has anyone done this successfully yet?
Works great. I couldn’t wait for Teraflex to come out since I need to support a 39” Krawler that I already was running with only the Alpha for about 6 months. Added the Rugged Ridge for more support but even without it and wheeling the tailgate was still straight.

683F2E29-95FA-4E7E-9B16-C029E1D4BA7D.jpeg

106B9FD0-93E1-42A6-869D-ADEBAA8FE610.jpeg

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Works great. I couldn’t wait for Teraflex to come out since I need to support a 39” Krawler that I already was running with only the Alpha for about 6 months. Added the Rugged Ridge for more support but even without it and wheeling the tailgate was still straight.

683F2E29-95FA-4E7E-9B16-C029E1D4BA7D.jpeg

106B9FD0-93E1-42A6-869D-ADEBAA8FE610.jpeg
Awesome - thanks for the full info on that! Found several folks planning on that combo, but this is first confirmation I’ve found. Appreciate the response.

nysundevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Sky One Touch
I’ve got an issue with the parksense reverse warning going off every time I go in reverse. The sensors embedded in the rear bumper are picking up my 35” spare. Did anyone else have this problem, and did moving the spare up and in with the Teraflex HD carrier resolve the issue?

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
I run the Teraflex hd tire carrier with no tailgate reinforcement. I have 37 X 12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and the OEM steel rear bumper. I have the Teraflex carrier adjusted so that the tire tucks in tight against the original bump stop, and it’s of course high enough so that my tire clears the bumper.

I never had a situation like yours where my sensors reacted to over-size tires. I added the Teraflex carrier as soon as I got my 37s. But I can tell you I have zero problem with my set up - the sensors work perfectly, no false alarms ever.

Sponsored

nysundevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Sky One Touch
I run the Teraflex hd tire carrier with no tailgate reinforcement. I have 37 X 12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and the OEM steel rear bumper. I have the Teraflex carrier adjusted so that the tire tucks in tight against the original bump stop, and it’s of course high enough so that my tire clears the bumper.

I never had a situation like yours where my sensors reacted to over-size tires. I added the Teraflex carrier as soon as I got my 37s. But I can tell you I have zero problem with my set up - the sensors work perfectly, no false alarms ever.
Exactly what I needed to know. One of the big advantages of the Teraflex seems to be that you can adjust the distance from the tailgate to accommodate a wheel with a significant offset (I'm running 19" Fuel Beasts). Ordering the Teraflex now. Thanks again Bocephus!

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Awesome, you’ll love it! Glad I could help.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
@TeraFlex is the camera snout built to support the weight fo a wheel & tire? I would assume so, when trying to line up the lugs, etc... If so, why have the brake light wire come out on top and be vulnerable? I know my 126 pound beadlocks would cut it instantly. I have this carrier and routed my light wiring up behind the carrier and through the wheel. And when mounting, you would have to fish the wire through the hub while holding the tire... But, am I missing something???

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I have installed this bracket and to answer your question, just disconnect the connector from the lighting of the stoplight, then place it in the large slot of the camera bracket and even if the wheel hits the bracket it is totally impossible to cut the wire
Sponsored