Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
MC suggest a different shaft replacement for the 2.5 inch lift. Is that really necessary? That takes the expense to another level even with the less expensive shocks. While I understand quality for performance I most likely won't be rock crawling at all. I do however want to have stuff that isn't going to mess up my ride. I don't mind buying arms in peices from a different company than the company I get the lift from to help keep expense down and slow me to put together over time.
new driveshafts are strongly encouraged with an MC lift because of the amount of travel (compression and droop) the rocksports and 6 paks have. There’s a cross member that restricts droop and tears the factory driveshaft. The new one is smaller diameter but stronger and comes with 1310 joints. I completely understand the added expense ($599) and will always will encourage it, you can get by with the factory one especially on a rig that’s not being wheeled very hard or often though.

Often times what leaves my shop is headed straight to Moab or local wheeling locations so I tend to err on the side of caution and suggest knocking it out at the same time. The shocks are the same between the 2.5 and 3.5” lift.

brett
Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
new driveshafts are strongly encouraged with an MC lift because of the amount of travel (compression and droop) the rocksports and 6 paks have. There’s a cross member that restricts droop and tears the factory driveshaft. The new one is smaller diameter but stronger and comes with 1310 joints. I completely understand the added expense ($599) and will always will encourage it, you can get by with the factory one especially on a rig that’s not being wheeled very hard or often though.

Often times what leaves my shop is headed straight to Moab or local wheeling locations so I tend to err on the side of caution and suggest knocking it out at the same time. The shocks are the same between the 2.5 and 3.5” lift.

brett
They have their own driveshaft or are they using an aftermarket brand like Adams? For the money would you suggest getting Adams or whatever mc gives you?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They have their own driveshaft or are they using an aftermarket brand like Adams? For the money would you suggest getting Adams or whatever mc gives you?
They source them from a local driveshaft builder near them. I really love the Adams stuff, but for the 1310 series shafts, I prefer the MC offering. Reason being, when you pull off the transfer case flange, there’s an o-ring that needs to be transferred over to the new flange. On the MC one, there is a part that’s milled out to hold it like the factory one was. On the Adams, you just use some rtv and tighten it down. It’s works but just one of those little things that makes a difference to me. For custom shafts or 1350 stuff, Adams is the only place I call.

brett

iboostgti335

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Subscribing to this thread as I too, like many others, are overwhelmed with the abundance of suspension options.
As someone who wants a 2-3" lift, but will only see occasional mild off-road conditions (2x/year) and beach/sand conditions (3x/month), with the rest of the time spent on pavement, it is hard to justify spending a ton on a setup that has capabilities well beyond what I will be doing.
I was told to just pick up a Rubicon take off suspension with a 1" spacer and I will be well off to hit the beach with my 35s, but so many options out there have my head spinning.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Subscribing to this thread as I too, like many others, are overwhelmed with the abundance of suspension options.
As someone who wants a 2-3" lift, but will only see occasional mild off-road conditions (2x/year) and beach/sand conditions (3x/month), with the rest of the time spent on pavement, it is hard to justify spending a ton on a setup that has capabilities well beyond what I will be doing.
I was told to just pick up a Rubicon take off suspension with a 1" spacer and I will be well off to hit the beach with my 35s, but so many options out there have my head spinning.
I'm sort of in the same boat, only I feel like I'm going want to grow and change over time (i plan to have my wrangler for a very long time). So adjustable control arms and track bars I think are important to me. I'm still undecided though! Looking at RK and Metal cloak I am definitely interested and obviously the quality is there, but is it over kill for someone like me? I have yet to decide. I think i'm going to stick to my spacer lift for the time being, while i take my time to make the right choice for me.

Sponsored

Rhinozeroone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
We have the Teraflex ST2.5 with Falcon 3.3 shocks. Overall we are fairly happy but there were a few issues. We don't feel that the ride is harsh and the firmness difference with the different settings is very noticeable. We usually have it on 2 with the sub setting of 5. We drop it to 1 for wheeling. The Jeep still handles very well despite the center of gravity. That being said, I did have to replace the spring seats due to both front springs bowing. I replaced them with the Rock Krawler correction seats. That may also have lead to the tear I got on one of the upper bump stops. The gap between upper and lower bump stops in the front is very small. I ended up taking a 1/2" spacer out to improve the gap despite the recommendation in the instructions. We have had no issues with death wobble stock or with the lift and we are currently at a 7.9 degree castor.

If I were to do this again, I would probably go with a Rock Krawler lift. I don't have personal experience with their lifts but from what I have seen and researched with their spring seats fixing our bowing issue, I think it is a better lift for approximately the same money. I also regret going 2.5 and would do at least a 3.5 if I were doing it again. We are on 37s and I wish I had just a little more up travel.

Good Luck

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Another question I have with rk and mc is ease of installation? I'd really like to not have to cut things off the axle or frame. Whatever I get I need to be able to install it with a friend with the usual tools. Terrafkex easy to install?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another question I have with rk and mc is ease of installation? I'd really like to not have to cut things off the axle or frame. Whatever I get I need to be able to install it with a friend with the usual tools. Terrafkex easy to install?
RK wants you to clearance the lower control arm mount because their arms are beefy. MC needs a little grinding to open up the track bar window on the axle side. Just about all of them are going to need at least a little drilling for the bump stops.

brett

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
RK wants you to clearance the lower control arm mount because their arms are beefy. MC needs a little grinding to open up the track bar window on the axle side. Just about all of them are going to need at least a little drilling for the bump stops.

brett
Yea mc looks like it needs drilling for the bump stops, opening of the track bar mount, and then maybe more drilling for the outboard shock mounts? I guess it's not horrible. Shouldn't prevent me from going back stock if I needed to it wanted to.

BigFatPanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
I haven’t seen much in the way of reviews of this kit on the forum. Does anyone here have any experience with / running this setup? I would love to hear firsthand how this kit performs on and off road. On paper, it looks like exactly what I’m looking for.
Totally understand your situation. Went through the same decision process last June.
I've been running the Teraflex 2.5" lift with the Falcon 3.3 for just over a year now. They are stiffer then the stock Rubicon shocks but i don't think they are horribly stiff. I gave a forum member a ride and he was so happy with it he ended up with a 3.5" lift with the 3.3 shocks. I've had passengers say the ride is amazing and doesn't ride like a lifted Jeep at all but on the flip side i've had many passengers ask why it is so bumpy or harsh. If you are in the Orange County area i'd be more then happy to give you a ride if it helps you make a decision.

So after seeing this thread i searched similar threads and learned that people have been sending these back in to revalved to the 2dr shocks. i'm curious what their reviews are after the revalve.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
@mgroeger thought you may be interested in this thread to help the ride in your wife's rig. Maybe you could get your shocks revalved for a 2 door for cheap..

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
@mgroeger thought you may be interested in this thread to help the ride in your wife's rig. Maybe you could get your shocks revalved for a 2 door for cheap..
Hmmm... very interesting idea but I wonder what long term effects are. Will they wear out quicker? Looks like it's time to call Teraflex again :)

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Hmmm... very interesting idea but I wonder what long term effects are. Will they wear out quicker? Looks like it's time to call Teraflex again :)
Yeah...too many stiff reviews for them to keep blaming it on your tires. They should fix them...especially at that pricepoint. You could get some adjustable Fox 2.5's for near the same price.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah...too many stiff reviews for them to keep blaming it on your tires. They should fix them...especially at that pricepoint. You could get some adjustable Fox 2.5's for near the same price.
"Fix"... it's relative. Teraflex are the first to admit their shocks are "comfortably firm" and everyone has a different set of arse cheeks so it's all relative. From their perspective they will recommend the 3.3 but I'm curious to see what they have to say about a 2 door shock on a 4 door Jeep.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
"Fix"... it's relative. Teraflex are the first to admit their shocks are "comfortably firm" and everyone has a different set of arse cheeks so it's all relative. From their perspective they will recommend the 3.3 but I'm curious to see what they have to say about a 2 door shock on a 4 door Jeep.
Agree, it's subjective. I just don't see repeated stiff reviews on here about other shocks like I do these. Ultimately, Teraflex prob wont adjust their valving until sales take a dive. Simply trying to help after reading your wife isnt happy with the stiff ride. Hope you get it dialed in.
Sponsored