Tera Flex review of Jeep 4xe

TimnTexas

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Blackbear
Great video with lots of info. He does a small drag races against the 3.6, diesel, and 2.0. He made a comment that the 4xe ICE only kicks in after about 100 ft and that is why others were looking quicker. I was a little surprised as the other Jeep’s had much larger tires but maybe they had other mods as well. I would have thought the 470 # of torque would have really been a stand out against 3.6 and 2.0, but the 2.0 pulled it pretty good. I think this just says the 4xe has power but it comes on later from a stop.
Sponsored

Last edited:

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
This is one of the best videos yet. Not just the deep dive into the numbers, but doing actual 0-60 against other Jeeps. You can see how the 4xe compares.

And confirms what we've been hearing/seeing in that when in hybrid mode, the electric engine still starts first before bringing in gas, so you don't get all that torque from the beginning when you hit the pedal.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Great video with lots of info. He does a small drag races against the 3.6, diesel, and 2.0. He made a comment that the 4xe ICE only kicks in after about 100 ft and that is why others were looking quicker. I was a little surprised as the other Jeep’s had much larger tires but maybe they had other mods as well. I would have thought the 470 # of torque would have really been a stand out against 3.6 and 2.0, but the 2.0 pulled it pretty good. I think this just says the 4xe was power but it comes on later from a stop.
Bummer that the power comes on too late. Thanks for the info!
Still can’t believe the stock tire 4Xe got spanked that bad by the 3.6 and 2.0 with 37” tires. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Mcwilldo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Hmmm, what happens on a 0-60 time in esave mode when the engine is already running at the start? In full throttle, even in esave , does the battery kick in? Then you would not have the 100’ delay while the hybrid decides to start the ICE. Mine hasn’t arrived yet, so I can’t test that theory.

Sponsored

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
Hmmm, what happens on a 0-60 time in esave mode when the engine is already running at the start? In full throttle, even in esave , does the battery kick in? Then you would not have the 100’ delay while the hybrid decides to start the ICE. Mine hasn’t arrived yet, so I can’t test that theory.
Or if you put the transmission into 1st manually - i've read that that kicks on the ICE. Probably a better way to launch 0-60 times. Once I get my 4xe i'll try it out.

digimark

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 MT JK 2-dr X, Nacho JLUR 4xe.
Seems like there's some missing bits there. My experience with multiple hybrids is that the electricity doesn't just run out, it's assisting from start to stop and the combination of both with brake regeneration leads to the higher MPGe. Over a tank of gas and with a full initial battery charge, I'd expect the 4xe to get at least 40MPG in mixed city/highway driving. Only less if all highway. Also the 4xe doesn't have an ESS switch. Because it doesn't need one -- every pull away from a light or stop sign is electric. Things like that.

I'm waiting for Teraflex tailgate hinge reinforcement, hi-lift mount and suspension lift kits for my 4xe so I'm glad they have one in house to work on.

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
He made a comment that the 4xe ICE only kicks in after about 100 ft and that is why others were looking quicker.
This makes no sense. You can see exhaust vapor coming from the 4xe. Can you hear the engine shut off right before the various races start? I don't have speakers on my computer.

Also he's another one that doesn't understand what 49 MPGe means...

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Most important question.. how did they get one in Chief??? I don't think that color was ever on the order guides for the 4xe. Must be a test mule or prototype? Maybe it doesn't have the latest software, yadda yadda, and isn't a fair test against the others.

OP
OP

TimnTexas

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Blackbear
Yeah. Not sure why they keep Chief on the website. Seems like that was short lived. Darn good color.

Sponsored

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
Most important question.. how did they get one in Chief??? I don't think that color was ever on the order guides for the 4xe. Must be a test mule or prototype? Maybe it doesn't have the latest software, yadda yadda, and isn't a fair test against the others.
I looked this up recently when I saw another Chief 4xe. Chief was available on the order sheets from Sept to Dec. 4xe's were orderable Nov 6, so there was a solid month when you could have ordered a Chief 4xe. If the color isn't offered again, that will be a very rare combination.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
It appears that the other JLs got a big jump on the 4xe right from the very start except for the diesel, maybe. Seems like the 4xe driver had much slower reaction times. If the long starting delays represent the performance of all 4xe's, I will be disappointed...and wonder how Jeep got a 6sec 0-60 time.

The narrator seems to have a negative attitude about the 4xe. I hope his attitude is changed by improved performance when the 4xe gets a little more broken in and subsequently modified.

This provides an interesting contrast.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
It did seem like he was slow on the reaction time, but I was surprised to see those walk away even lifted on larger tires. I wonder if those were regeared? if so, that could be why they jumped out so quick before the 4xe reeled them in.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
It appears that the other JLs got a big jump on the 4xe right from the very start except for the diesel, maybe. Seems like the 4xe driver had much slower reaction times. If the long starting delays represent the performance of all 4xe's, I will be disappointed...and wonder how Jeep got a 6sec 0-60 time.

The narrator seems to have a negative attitude about the 4xe. I hope his attitude is changed by improved performance when the 4xe gets a little more broken in and subsequently modified.

This provides an interesting contrast.
The start off the line is exactly what I saw because they were not even close. Start off the line is very important in a drag race. The video you posted is a better indicator but then again Terraflex wasn't really taking themselves seriously either :) Also the video you posted was in 4H though I didn't see spin in the Terra video.

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
It did seem like he was slow on the reaction time, but I was surprised to see those walk away even lifted on larger tires. I wonder if those were regeared? if so, that could be why they jumped out so quick before the 4xe reeled them in.
None of the comparison vehicles were stock so whatever the mods are the comparisons are simply invalid.
Sponsored