Tent

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Interesting concept, but I feel like you'd have a lot of gaps (and therefore bugs and critters) with something like this.

I have a slumberjack tarp that connects over the back like that and it's definitely not a tight seal against the rear of the Jeep. Wind will pull it away easily and it has to be periodically tightened back down. When you lower the rear window, you have to re-adjust all the straps to accommodate for the slack, too. Which is all fine for a tarp, but not so much for a tent. Plus, even when fully taut, a little desert mouse could easily push through and slip inside around the Jeep-side edges of that tent, I'll bet.

I can't tell for sure if you can zip up that side or not to seal the tent off, but that would at least fix some of those problems.

Also... if you leave the tailgate open all night, guaranteed you're gonna wake up, sit up, and crack your head against it. 😆

I DO like that it has some decently long over-the-top straps. That's something my slumberjack tarp lacks (it has short straps intended for hooking to a roof rack). I'm currently redneck engineering a solution with paracord to the side mirrors, but it's interesting how they're attaching the straps to the wipers. I wonder how much wind tugging the wipers can handle.

Another possible downside: you'd probably want to wait a bit before setting it up to avoid heat from the tailpipe damaging the tent material. Also don't start up the jeep while it's attached or someone's getting carbon monoxide poisoning, lol.

I dunno, cool concept and design... but I can't help but think a regular ground tent would be easier.

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Just as a roof top tent, once you are set up, you'd have to take it down before you can move the vehicle. Maybe roof top tents, especially those clam shell / hard shell type, can be collapsed quickly. This seems even more cumbersome to take down (and folded up to be put away).
Sponsored