Sponsored

TEN Kills off print versions of Jp Mag and Petersen's 4WOR, 17 more

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I miss the days of actual competition. When Fourwheeler and 4Wheel&Offroad actually tossed jabs at each other. The magazines had their own flavor.

The bailout a decade ago created gigantic blobs of money in the hands of a few and that led to massive buyouts and consolidations across so many industries. Diversity is being purchased and smushed into consolidated generic offerings. It's been horrible for the marine industry and the print industry has fared even worse it seems
Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I miss the days of actual competition. When Fourwheeler and 4Wheel&Offroad actually tossed jabs at each other. The magazines had their own flavor.

The bailout a decade ago created gigantic blobs of money in the hands of a few and that led to massive buyouts and consolidations across so many industries. Diversity is being purchased and smushed into consolidated generic offerings. It's been horrible for the marine industry and the print industry has fared even worse it seems
Not to get too far off topic, but I think that could be said for the entertainment industry as a whole. It's a mixed bag as to where you stand in the loop, and we could totally sit here and discuss it Ad nauseam. Personally, I like being able to access everything digitally- but having almost everything locked behind a month to month fee (music, movies, etc) vs. a one time purchase, and also smooshed together and rebranded as "content" vs. what it actually is: Movies, a TV show, Music, Written articles, etc- it's kind of gross. I come from a creative background, I've played music, done podcasts, worked in TV production in the past, done some VERY light writing... it sort of devalues the trade, for lack of a better term.

Case in Point: Guys like Cappa, Hazel, Trasborg (RIP), even Fred Williams and Dave Freiburger (sp?) have way more knowledge and experience than some guy who started an off road Youtube channel last week- yet they'll all end up labeled as "Content Creators". It's lame.

Sorry for that brief aside. Back to topic (sorta): It should be no surprise that My favorite Jp era was Cappa/ Hazel/ Trasborg. They had solid stuff every time and I liked their writing style. I like Pewe as an occasional contributor and I like some of his older pieces but I could tell Jp was starting to shift to that "Jeep lifestyle" kind of mag, and i absolutely despise that kind of casual take, to the point where I was sort of considering cancelling my subscription anyway. I would rather read more off road Jeep focused stuff without having to wade through 16 pieces of "Best Distributor for your 78 Bronco", or "Toyota pre-runner tech" or "Turning your K-Blazer into a Mud truck", which some of the other publications seemed to have in spades.