Temperature threshold for doors off

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
How cold is too cold for the doors off? It was 36°F when I left the house this morning. My hands did get cold before I got to work, but it should be fine this afternoon. :sun:
Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Guy here in Indianapolis drives year round without top, doors, or windshield. Even below zero.

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
Doors off any temp, just dress for 20F less than the ambient temperature for the drive.

Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Informative chart based on temperature and air speed. I'd look at this chart after riding my motorcycle in sub freezing temps just to see roughly how cold it felt while riding.

Dress for the windchill and you're good to go.

IMG_9041.GIF

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
Spring + sun + no rain + high over 70 for the day = doorless and no top all day every day..

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
I would say only snow would stop me. I ride the motorcycle down to about 24, but that can get a little scary with black ice and all.

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
Heated seats and steering wheel may make me a little bolder than I used to be!

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Informative chart based on temperature and air speed. I'd look at this chart after riding my motorcycle in sub freezing temps just to see roughly how cold it felt while riding.

Dress for the windchill and you're good to go.

IMG_9041.GIF
Or just wait till it’s comfortable out.

Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Removing the carpet in my LJ was very liberating. Now I typically don’t throw the top on at all during the summer, even during heavy rain. It’s a lot of fun to drive through a monsoon with no doors and no top.

Windshield, however, rarely comes down because I don’t yet have motorcycle goggles for speeds above 50 to avoid losing my prescription sunglasses, and because it takes so long to drop and raise it (about 20 minutes each way). Hoping to get a sport cage to cut that time, and of course a JL would be quite a step forward.

(Oh, yeah, windshield is also problematic at night. Eating bugs isn’t my idea of fun.)

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
Removing the carpet in my LJ was very liberating. Now I typically don’t throw the top on at all during the summer, even during heavy rain. It’s a lot of fun to drive through a monsoon with no doors and no top.

Windshield, however, rarely comes down because I don’t yet have motorcycle goggles for speeds above 50 to avoid losing my prescription sunglasses, and because it takes so long to drop and raise it (about 20 minutes each way). Hoping to get a sport cage to cut that time, and of course a JL would be quite a step forward.

(Oh, yeah, windshield is also problematic at night. Eating bugs isn’t my idea of fun.)
Don’t you have issues with wet seats? Do you tarp them, or do they stand up to getting that kind of wet? Do you still have the stock cloth?

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Don’t you have issues with wet seats? Do you tarp them, or do they stand up to getting that kind of wet? Do you still have the stock cloth?
I use Bartact seat covers to protect the cloth seats, and in the large compartment on the back I store trash bags to sit on and cover my steering wheel when it’s parked (steering wheel getting drenched can cause some glitchiness, and if the clock spring rusts that’s a pain).

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
How cold is too cold for the doors off? It was 36°F when I left the house this morning. My hands did get cold before I got to work, but it should be fine this afternoon. :sun:
My threshold is whatever temp it is when I need to drive and the doors are off. I’m not puttin them back on just cuz it’s a little chilly!
Sponsored