First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
I noticed the last few times I've remote started my JL, when I got inside the outside temperature reads 41 degrees. The temperature today has been in the 10s so it's certainly not 41 degrees out. This causes the heated seats and steering wheel to not activate. Once I start driving, the temperature begins to drop to a more accurate reading. Has anyone experienced this? It hasn't been an issue up until few days ago. Should I disconnect the battery to let the system reset itself?
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I noticed the last few times I've remote started my JL, when I got inside the outside temperature reads 41 degrees. The temperature today has been in the 10s so it's certainly not 41 degrees out. This causes the heated seats and steering wheel to not activate. Once I start driving, the temperature begins to drop to a more accurate reading. Has anyone experienced this? It hasn't been an issue up until few days ago. Should I disconnect the battery to let the system reset itself?
It’s simple logic. You’re always cooler when you’re driving a Jeep :clap::jk:

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Yep - mine will do that occasionally. The best correlation I've found is if the sun is hitting the front of the Jeep and no wind. I'm not sure where the thermostat is but my guess is somewhere up close to the grille. But the seats and steering wheel heat up so fast that it doesn't matter to me.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Mine will read 100+ during the day when in the sun. Then cools quickly once I get rolling.
It was 73 when I left work and the outside temp said it was 92, when i first started it up.

LSUMaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
That's so funny - this happened to me this afternoon.
It's been in the teens and low twenties all day without a glimpse of sunlight. I remote started the car as I walked out of the building and when I got to it, the heated seats and the steering wheel were not on. I checked the temp and it read 41.
I wonder if it would have changed had my walk to the car been longer and then the heated seats and wheel would turn on...

Sponsored

Hetrab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Wrangler
I have the same problem. It is cold but the car thinks it is in the mid 40's so the heated seat and steering wheel don't turn on. The outside temperature sensor should be outside so it shouldn't be affected by internal heating with the sun. I'm going to have to figure out where it is located. Kind of defeats the purpose of using the remote start to heat the wheel and seats if it can't get the correct temperature.

OP
OP
cns721

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have the same problem. It is cold but the car thinks it is in the mid 40's so the heated seat and steering wheel don't turn on. The outside temperature sensor should be outside so it shouldn't be affected by internal heating with the sun. I'm going to have to figure out where it is located. Kind of defeats the purpose of using the remote start to heat the wheel and seats if it can't get the correct temperature.
If you figure something out, definitely do let me know!

MVdolluh

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
IT
A year into this topic and I am having this issue as well.

MVdolluh

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
IT
Just to add to this. It happens to me with zero sun on a 20 degree day so it isn't that.

Burt

First Name
Burt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 FJ Cruiser (TTUE), 2016 Camry XLE (wife’s)
Occupation
Retired
Me too, I get the 41 degrees often, eventually it corrects itself.. interesting that we see that same specific number.

Sponsored

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
Had this ever been fixed, I'm having the same issue in my 2021. Now that it's cold I'm noticing that this happens every time. If the seats turning on automatically wasn't temperature dependent it would both me, but this is annoying to say the least.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I don't understand why detecting outdoor temp is beyond FCA's technological capabilities, but it is.

Mine reads wrong on the trail 100% of the time. If you start a trail at 67 degrees and then spend the whole day in low range in 90 degree temps -- fear not, it's somehow magically 67 degrees. All day. Every second. Until you get back on the highway at the end of the day.

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
Happens to mine (both a 2019 and 2020) ALL the time. It can have been parked for 5+ hours with no sunlight and temps in the 20's-30's, but the sensor magically thinks it's 50, so nothing automatically turns on, yet by the time I'm out of the parking lot, it drops down to the actual temp. I've also had it the other way where it's in the 50's and I start the car and the seat and steering wheel heater turn on because it thinks it's in 30's, but reading high is definitely a lot more common.
I really wish you could go in a set your own temps for the comfort features (AC and cooled seats in the GC) would activate at whatever you wanted them to. It wouldn't solve the inaccurate temp issue, but at least you could set it to try to compensate for it.

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
Happens to mine (both a 2019 and 2020) ALL the time. It can have been parked for 5+ hours with no sunlight and temps in the 20's-30's, but the sensor magically thinks it's 50, so nothing automatically turns on, yet by the time I'm out of the parking lot, it drops down to the actual temp. I've also had it the other way where it's in the 50's and I start the car and the seat and steering wheel heater turn on because it thinks it's in 30's, but reading high is definitely a lot more common.
I really wish you could go in a set your own temps for the comfort features (AC and cooled seats in the GC) would activate at whatever you wanted them to. It wouldn't solve the inaccurate temp issue, but at least you could set it to try to compensate for it.
I'm coming from BMW's and with coding you are able to change pretty much any setting you want. I'm sure there is a way to do it, will be somthing to look into!

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
interesting , I read this post and I am thinking I have one less worry in my life
Sponsored