Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Thats exactly the kind of stuff I'm shooting for! Looks amazing

My goal is to avoid major interstates as much as possible and take all the back roads
I'm the family "responder" to various incidents. We've family spanning the country. I've been driving Wranglers since 1990. I'd take over this thread with stories of those "family errands." I wasn't always the rescue squad, there were times I was the goon.

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Nice little camper. As noted watch your fuel, there are places where fuel stops are few and far between in the west. Also, Iā€™d suggest you head South and stay in Tx, Az, and NM until spring and warmer weather. Big Bend has some great trails and camping spots. Living in a camper in extreme cold can be ā€œinterestingā€ and towing one in snow or ice will not be a fun time. Iā€™m in NM at the moment in the mountains. We had almost 12 inches of snow Monday, and temps down to 19F with daily highs in the teens. We were fine (Lance 4 season camper) but every other righ in the campground had frozen water tanks and folks were running propane and electric to keep warm. Enjoy your adventure!
I like this idea. Dunno if big bend is open-check ahead....Palo Duro is a killer stop, still can get cool. The desert is nice this time of year.

OP
OP
MattLaurence

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
OP, a couple of things.....

I see that you live in the snow belt so you likely know how to drive in snow and drive in snow pulling a trailer. I have lived in the South for 35 years and this is really the first winter in the snow for me in a LONG time. I have never pulled a trailer.

I too suggest that you really monitor gas consumption and, while it is unlikely that you might need to use it, get some Rotopax or something and bring along just for a pinch.

i would also be concerned (having never pulled a trailer) that your max speed might be only 60mph-ish. If thatā€™s true, Wyoming and Utah (among others) have 80mph interstate speed limits (Which means people do 85+). That speed difference would concern me a bit.

I just returned on I-70 from Moab to Denver. A winter storm had passed through on Sunday/Monday (3 days ago). We counted no less than 15 vehicles spun out and still on the road/ditch. Of those, one UPS truck had jackknifed, 2 large RV trailers (the big ones that are pulled by big pickups mostly) had rolled over and were probably destroyed, one RV camper with engine/cab, had rolled over and was absolutely destroyed As the sides and part of the front over the cab had come off, and then, to top it off, one small vehicle pulling a small camper was involved in an active accident (just happened) with some kind of Commercial truck. the car was smashed in a ditch and the camper/trailer was destroyed on its side.

I wondered how this accident could have happened (it was on the other side of the freeway) and It dawned on me.... 3 days after the storm all bridges were still LOADED with thick bumpy ice. The accident happened ā€˜right afterā€™ a bridge. I can only assume that the driver of the trailer lost it on the ice over the bridge And the collision came thereafter.

i am not trying to scare you.... not at all.... I donā€™t know how to pull a trailer but you likely do And likely do it in the winter as part of second nature. That said, I think that the advice above of staying ā€œsouthā€ as much as you can might be a good one.
These are good points to keep in mind. I consider myself a cautious driver, but if the roads are slick and someone else is driving crazy, it'll still be dangerous to be hauling 2,000 lbs with no extra braking capabilities..

Appreciate the feedback

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
Just a little heads up to the OP, right now in New Mexico, state parks and camping areas are only open to New Mexico state residents. Somehow covid knows the difference between residents and travelers! If you plan on coming down this far south, please do you homework and make sure you have a place to park.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
MattLaurence

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
Just a little heads up to the OP, right now in New Mexico, state parks and camping areas are only open to New Mexico state residents. Somehow covid knows the difference between residents and travelers! If you plan on coming down this far south, please do you homework and make sure you have a place to park.
Very good info to have! We were considering going that way.....

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Very good info to have! We were considering going that way.....
Iā€™m in NM right now. State parks are pretty much no go, however private and US Gov. sites are good to go, plus you boondock pretty much anywhere in the National forests. I was up at Valley of Fires-$18/ with water and power. Several open spots as of a few hours ago. As noted desert, esp high desert, can get cool at night. Great this time of year though IMHO.

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
Matt,

Consider draining your water system. It will save weight and will prevent damage when/if you encounter freezing temperatures. I see that you have a hot water heater; be sure to drain it, too. In the winter I use a 5-gallon Coleman water jug (with a spigot) instead of the built-in water system in my camping trailer.

Russ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Break in 4,319 mile trip out to Elk camp. PA to CO to WY and then back to PA. 2 door Sport, base model with 6spd and soft top. Did great! Averaged around 16.7mpg but had some tough miles out west with the wind (9.5mpg!). Love this thing. First real trip with many more to come!
Jeep Wrangler JL Tell us about the long hauls! B5987D27-7F93-47EC-B36E-6C39A52F4A05
Jeep Wrangler JL Tell us about the long hauls! CEB6445F-B5F9-4891-8CE9-108B075D24C6

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
In early September I had to go from south-central Wisconsin to Oregon. A 50 decades "lost" family member needed a lift away from the fires and smoke. Eighty five years old female cousin to my wife in need of a ride home. I was given three days to get there.

I took as many back roads as possible. It took me more miles out of my way but I got there in time. I also got there my way.

I finally wore out my stock tires. New Duratracs going on Monday. 285/70/17 in the D class. They'll go nicely with the Rubi takeoff suspension.

Now I know what's been here and there. Now I can go back just for fun!

Jeep Wrangler JL Tell us about the long hauls! CEB6445F-B5F9-4891-8CE9-108B075D24C6

Nice! How does the Rubicon take off suspension ride? I haven't put mine on yet. Got mine off a 2021 Rubicon

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Break in 4,319 mile trip out to Elk camp. PA to CO to WY and then back to PA. 2 door Sport, base model with 6spd and soft top. Did great! Averaged around 16.7mpg but had some tough miles out west with the wind (9.5mpg!). Love this thing. First real trip with many more to come!
2018 JLU Sahara Auto 5000 mile trip from mid TN out west round trip 20.2mpg. TN, CO, WY, MT, SD And back home.

IMG_20200828_143141628.jpg

Sponsored

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Nice! How does the Rubicon take off suspension ride? I haven't put mine on yet. Got mine off a 2021 Rubicon
I love it. I added extra weight with aftermarket bumpers, security enclosure, and gear. The stiffer suspension has a nice, smoother feeling addition. I also swapped out the control arms for the slightly longer ones from the 2" MOPAR kit. They're cheap and the handling is improved, at least I think so.

Up until today I had the stock 245/75/r17 tires. The Rubi suspension gave me about 1.5" lift, so I upsized to 33" 285/70/17 Duratracs. I have only driven from the shop and around the nearby park since swapping them. So far all I can say is things feel more "solid."

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I love it. I added extra weight with aftermarket bumpers, security enclosure, and gear. The stiffer suspension has a nice, smoother feeling addition. I also swapped out the control arms for the slightly longer ones from the 2" MOPAR kit. They're cheap and the handling is improved, at least I think so.

Up until today I had the stock 245/75/r17 tires. The Rubi suspension gave me about 1.5" lift, so I upsized to 33" 285/70/17 Duratracs. I have only driven from the shop and around the nearby park since swapping them. So far all I can say is things feel more "solid."
Yep I added bumpers, winch and Falken Wildpeak AT3w tires. I lost about 3/4" with weight added to the Sahara. I am hoping to gain that back and a little more. I am told there isn't much difference in ride quality with the added weight. I am expecting it to be a little stiffer but that's OK.

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
If you have put that many miles on your Jeep already you wonā€™t have any problems. My only suggestion is while headed through Wyoming have some web tie straps for your top. It can get really windy up here 65 mph isnā€™t really out of the question and often the interstate 80 is closed due to wind. Those straps can be used inside your top to and around the top to keep it from lifting. I have to do this on my Jeep when the wind gets crazy here. I always carry 3 web straps for that purpose.
Sponsored