johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Roof hatch? We need more pics.
These are from Ursa Minor's Instagram page (I'm lazy and don't wanna go pull the Jeep out this second). The shot is taken inside the top, and you can see in the center of the roof there is a hatch. It has two side-by-side removable hatch doors. So, you can open just one and climb up inside from in the jeep, or remove both for a very large full standing area for changing clothes or whatever. The top is designed to work so there is no need to climb anything on the outside of the vehicle.

Jeep Wrangler JL tell me what I just saw: 1626061214470

Jeep Wrangler JL tell me what I just saw: 1626061180375

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
These are from Ursa Minor's Instagram page (I'm lazy and don't wanna go pull the Jeep out this second). The shot is taken inside the top, and you can see in the center of the roof there is a hatch. It has two side-by-side removable hatch doors. So, you can open just one and climb up inside from in the jeep, or remove both for a very large full standing area for changing clothes or whatever. The top is designed to work so there is no need to climb anything on the outside of the vehicle.

I always thought the hatches were over the cargo area, so you'd get the full height.

I suppose the seats help with climbing up there. (Unless removed, as you did)

Thanks for pointing this out. Still awesome.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always thought the hatches were over the cargo area, so you'd get the full height.

I suppose the seats help with climbing up there. (Unless removed, as you did)

Thanks for pointing this out. Still awesome.
Yea the hatches are right above the rear seat. Folded flat, or with them removed, there's like 6' 5" of standing room. It's very comfy, but no issues climbing up there.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
My rig? There's a few other J30s in WA but they're not common.
I didn't know they had them for the JLs already. I"ve known a couple people who had them on JKs, cool set up for a single or a couple.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't know they had them for the JLs already. I"ve known a couple people who had them on JKs, cool set up for a single or a couple.
Yea, it was a critical mod to accomplish my goal for the JL. We've owned lots of Wranglers, but the camping rig I really beat into the ground was my 2006 LJ Rubi. During summer months I had my RTT mounted on it, but started getting more into fall and winter camping to escape the crowds from the "Overlanding" boom. This was a problem because RTT's are huge bricks and hamper everything from parking garages to gas mileage, and my Wrangler is my daily, so my choice was hoist my RTT on the rig in the fall and winter months or mount it 365. Neither were appealing.

So - I need something that would let me have the "leave quickly when pals call on Friday night" functionality of a mounted RTT, minimal affect on mileage, and livable as a daily driver. Ursa fills these well. I can leave my sleeping bag and pillow up in the top 24/7, and when I get the call from a friend to go camping I just toss in my camping bin/fridge and lash em down with ratchet straps to the factory cargo tie downs and head out...literally takes 15 minutes. I can get in and out of every parking garage I've personally tried, as well as don't take a mileage hit I can measure. When camping, the thing sets up in 30 seconds and comes down in maybe 45 - a full minute if I'm really anal about tucking the fabric. Makes my old RTT look like such a chore.

Folks have said they're expensive - and they are - but not much more than a quality rhino rack/alucab RTT once you factor in selling your stock hard top. I dunno...I got my Rubi for 42k. Factor in the cost of the Ursa minor and my whole rig cost 49. People pay much more for JL Rubis so I don't feel my whole setup is too bad. =) There's also the bonus of supporting small business. John Gish is a good guy and his company really represents the part of the American Dream of having an idea, running with it, and making it into a profitable living. Last I talked to him about demand he said he couldn't build em fast enough if he wanted.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
That’s just awesome

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
ON the JK there was also a J180 model, (AFAIK) same as the old . It flipped 180deg (thus the name) to the front, putting the sleeping platform over the hood. I'm sure with enough interest there could be a 180 version for the JLU.
Sponsored